Monday News: New Sony Reader, More on Kindle Lending, Shifting...

I’m still trying to perfect the presentation of the news. To make it easier to read, I’ve included my commentary after the link and blockquoted the portion of the article that I am quoting. Let me know if that is easier to read. Also, at the request of a couple readers, I’ve inserted “target=”_blank” to open the links in a new window.

Crayon Art - Christian Faur

Crayon Art – Christian Faur

“This experimental series of blurred children portraits focuses on images of children as anonymous individuals. The final images are littered with common names of children rendered in “crayonAlphabet” color. The anonymity of these individuals is reflected in both the technique and the written text that is being used in each individual frame as a face without a name is only a fiction of an individual. One of the faces used in the series is a self portrait of myself as a child, rendered in the same style and with the same set of random common names, to appear similar in every to the other portraits, one portrait among the many.”Christian Faur by way of Petal Pixel

“Data collected by Kobo, the firm which makes ebook readers sold by W.H. Smith, shows that only 18,000 readers using the system who rated the book after buying it have  finished it so far – just 10.5 per cent of a total of 170,000. ” Daily Mail

“We aim to provide a great experience for our users and have developed over 200 signals to ensure our search algorithms deliver the best possible results. Starting next week, we will begin taking into account a new signal in our rankings: the number of valid copyright removal notices we receive for any given site. Sites with high numbers of removal notices may appear lower in our results. This ranking change should help users find legitimate, quality sources of content more easily—whether it’s a song previewed on NPR’s music website, a TV show on Hulu or new music streamed from Spotify.”  Google

“While the report, the “2012 U.S. Book Consumer Demographics & Buying Behaviors Annual Review,” documents the changes in such high-profile industry areas as format and channel, a significant shift that has been a bit under the radar unearthed by the study is the change in who buys books. With Baby Boomers accounting for the highest percentage of the general population, that age group has historically spent the most on books. In 2011, however, that changed, when Generation Y, those born between 1979 and 1989, took over the book-buying leadership from Baby Boomers, accounting for 30% of book expenditures in the year, up from 24% in 2010, while Baby Boomers’ share of spending fell from 30% to 25%.” Publishers Weekly

“Ebook lending is meant to mirror the act of physical lending–the book “disappears” from the lender’s account and “appears” in the lendee’s account. The lending period is restricted to two weeks, and a book can only be lent once.  In many ways, it’s far more restrictive than its physical counterpart, even if the internet allows you to easily use your one lend on people outside your immediate geographic area.” Moira Rogers

“The T2 has the same Pearl E-ink screen, Wifi, touchscreen tech, and microSD card slot found on the current model, but the dimensions show it as being slightly smaller and (possibly) slightly thicker. As you can see from the image at right, the T2 swaps out the hard buttons found on the T1 with either smaller buttons or touch-sensitive pads (it’s not clear from the photos). I’d say it’s probably even running Android, just like the T1. And this ereader is also going to come with a pre-loaded copy of a Harry Potter ebook.”The Digital Reader

1. Nadia Lee
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 04:57:55

I don’t know how popular Sony is in America, but it seems to be doing OK in Japan. I’ve seen Sony ereaders on sale, etc. in Japan, but I’ve not seen Kobo or Kindle yet.

2. Turophile
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 06:54:11

I find this formatting much easier to read. I was so confused by previous method of presentation. Thanks for switch.

3. Christine M.
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:04:38

Sony is still in the ebook game?

Outside the US of A? Yes please. Amazon can’t even bother to make a Canadian Kindle site. Can’t use the 3G here, and when you try to buy a Kindle, you’ve got to pay import taxes on it. Plus the extra $2 charge on every download, etc…. Same applies to the B&N/Nook. The non-US market is so very different, there’s no comparison.

4. SAO
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:06:24

If few finish 50 Shades , then you’d expect the sequels to do badly. But the data show that you can have a wild, runaway best seller with a book most readers find a DNF.

5. Jess
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:06:41

@Nadia Lee:

I’m not sure about popularity, but from what I’ve seen online, it seems like people in general either love or hate their Sony e-readers. The people that love it seem to like the device itself for its user-friendly layout and ability to read most file formats. The people that hate it seem to focus more on the Sony store or the (lack of) customer service. Personally, I love my Sony but I never buy from the store because the prices are so random (coould be better than average, could be way higher) and the organization is terrible.

6. MrsJoseph
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 08:59:05

AM I the only one really creeped out by Kobo releasing such information? I don’t think most people using their personal ereader making personal notes expected that information to be used in this way.

I used to be a staunch Kobo fan. I guess I will either get on the Amazon bandwagon or deal with Sony. Arrrrg! None of it is a good idea.

7. Cara
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 09:00:31

Sony is actually most likely to be my next e-ink reader purchase. I still refuse to buy into Kindle, but BN has so totally failed their Nook customers, that I’m just over it. The only thing keeping me from Sony in the first place was the higher price. They have folder organization. End of argument.

8. Lisa J
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 09:04:04

I love my Sony. It’s easy to use. I will say, I don’t use the Sony software and instead load my books using Calibre. Like Jess, I rarely buy from the Sony store. They will occasionally have a coupon that I use, but not very often.

9. Brian
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 10:51:42

@Cara: The Sony doesn’t have folders, it has collections which are like tags (similar to Kindle collections) but aren’t multi-level like a folder file structure would be. Just FYI. As far as I know the only readers that have folders are those from third parties like PocketBook, Onyx, Bookeen, etc.

One nice thing with Sony collections is that you can use Calibre to easily manage them (Kindle collections can be managed too, but not as easily).

It looks like the T2 might get rid of the glossy plastic bezel of the T1 which is good. It’ll be interesting to find out more, although I’m a little surprised it doesn’t appear to have the higher rez 1024 x 768 eInk screen that’s been out for a while now.

10. MrsJoseph
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 11:11:34

@Brian:

Yeah, I’ve seen the specs. Not too excited about the new T2. I dislike the page turn on my T1 but I love having collections. Now I need more collections and a better home page. And some way to give the percentage read.

Hey, not asking for much! ;-)

11. meoskop
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 11:17:00

I was Sony, switched to Kindle for price, ended up back at Sony. If you want ease of use and selection – Kindle is your pony. If you’re all about self management from multiple sources, the Sony is the better ride. Different markets, I think. Sony will probably stay niche since they don’t seem interested in software/store improvements.

12. CourtneyLee
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 11:18:42

Much better news format. Thanks.

Is it just me, or has the “one lend per book” thing always seemed stupid? I can understand limiting lends, but for goodness’ sake give us a couple more than just one. Like library lending and promotional pricing, people lending a friend a book is more likely to result in more sales, not fewer.

13. helen
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 11:22:38

@Cara:
    Cara, what do you dislike about BN service? I’m just curious. I find it annoying when books are only available on Kindle but that is KDP’s fault (and the author’s of course). Otherwise I have loved the 2 nooks I have had (the first one which was the 3g one (loved that 3g!) )and the simple touch I have now.

14. Cara
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 12:36:23

@Brian: The tags/Calibre management is what I meant, sorry.

All I know is that from the BN Simple Touch’s inception, customers have been begging for the shelves to be fixed, because they’re virtually useless right now, if you have more than just a handful of books on your device. It’s a major issue and a major complaint (although not the only common complaint by far), and they’ve done absolutely zero to address it, even in the new Glow device. They don’t care what the customers they already have want or need; they’ve even done away with their ‘Suggestions’ area of their forums.

Further, their website is a friggin’ beast on morphine – I’ve rarely if ever bothered to use it to purchase anything. The only exception being when a book is free or I can’t get it anywhere else (and how often does that happen with BN, really?).

Seriously, I used to be a major fangirl. But my whole reasoning for *not* getting a Kindle was to have flexibility in format and still have a solid device. The 3G nook was that (I gave mine to DH when I got the Simple Touch, and I do prefer the touchscreen and lightness of the ST). But BN has clearly displayed that they’re not interested in what the customer wants, they’re only interested in releasing a Bright New Shiny to draw in new customers. I can’t fault them that, except that their current products still need attention that they’re not getting. So, rather than continuing to be frustrated with their business and RD model, I’ll simply purchase a reader that fits my needs better, next time.

15. becca
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 16:28:33

My major complaint with B&N, and what keeps me from a ST Glow, is that they sequester all but a very small amount of memory for non-B&N purchases. yeah, you can put things on an SD card, but they tend to disappear off your shelves, if you can even get non-B&N books on your shelves.

16. Sunita
    Aug 13, 2012 @ 17:03:49

The GlowNook has been my first experience with B&N software or hardware (or store). I agree that the shelves are horrible if you have more than a few books, but I still use them (I keep between 50 and 100 books on my Nook at a time). I haven’t had any problems with the store. It’s fairly quick for me and I don’t find it more clunky or difficult to use than the Kindle store.

The vast majority of books on my Nook are side-loaded onto an SD card. They all show up on the device. In the three months I’ve had it, I haven’t noticed any books going missing. I manage them through Calibre, since you can’t delete from the device. That is a pain, but since I’m sideloading anyway, it’s part of the process.

Maybe the SD card issues improved with the latest firmware update? Because all my non-BN and BN books display together.

17. CHH
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 00:02:58

I love my Sony T1 and far prefer it to my Kindle. I get most of my books from Kobo though. They have more promo codes.

18. Gwen Hayes
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 09:19:43

I wish we could lend a book more than once, but I love knowing I’ll never lose another keeper to someone who doesn’t give it back.

19. LJD
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 22:37:51

I feel the information on Fifty Shades is somewhat meaningless without:

1) How did they determine whether someone finished the book?
    2) What are the stats like for other books??

20. lucy
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 14:46:22

I like my PRS-T1 more than kindle since it’s pretty customizable and I can have books from any store and, if I play my cards right, I can even install the kindle app on it. But I probably won’t be buying PRS-T2 since there’s not much difference from PRS-T1.

21. jeayci
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 17:09:09

I’m another who likes the independence and customization of Sony over the more-proprietary and limited Kindle and Nook. I started with a Pocketbook, so even the Sony seems limited in comparison.

I’ve bought from the Sony store a few times (thanks to having a gift certificate. If not for that, I probably never would) but only from my computer. My PRS-T1 is a completely agnostic device that I manage with Calibre, and that’s just the way I like it. :)