1 in 3 Americans own either an e reader or a tablet. Tablet growth is primarily in upper income households but ereader ownership is more diverse:
The story with the growth in e-book readers was somewhat different from the story with tablet computers. Ownership of e-readers among women grew more than among men. Those with more education and higher incomes also lead the pack when it comes to e-book ownership, but the gap between them and others isn’t as dramatic. For instance, 19% of those in households earning $30,000-$50,000 have e-book readers. They are 12 percentage points behind those in households earning $75,000 or more in e-book reader ownership. The gap between those income levels on tablet ownership is 20 percentage points.
Link: Pew Internet Study
Publishers are experimenting with low prices to attract reader attention and hopefully seed higher priced purchases. Low prices can mean increased volume, but the experiments haven’t indicated that low prices will always result in an offset in volume but some reports are very positive.
So far there is no doubt that pricing a book at 99 cents can boost sales. “We had two Kurt Vonnegut novels priced at 99 cents last November in separate Daily Deals—his ‘Breakfast of Champions’ and ‘Mother Night,'” said Arthur Klebanoff, chief executive of RosettaBooks LLC, an e-book publisher. “Each title sold in one day the number of copies comparable to what we might have sold in a year.”
Digital publishing is growing in India. Penguin and HarperCollins are releasing several digital titles this year to capitalize on the growing adoption of tablets and smartphones.The second is the growth of the publishing industry in India – ebooks can piggyback the success of the print versions. And third, but not the least, is the far lower cost of an e-book. India’s publishing industry is growing at a compounded rate of 30% annually and it is expected to grow at the same pace over the next three years, says industry body Ficci. It ranks behind the US and the UK in English-language publishing when measured in number of titles.
But the success of e-books will hinge on higher sales of tablets and smartphones. According to hardware lobby Manufacturer’s Association of IT Industry, there are 300,000 tablet users in India today and it forecasts a 100% growth for the current year. Smartphones sales have been rising 8% year-on-year right now.
Source: Economic Times
The first Mills & Boon released authored by an Indian author sold three times as much as other M&B titles republished in India.
Quite upbeat about the success of its Indian titles, Singh says while romance is one of the most read genres of writing everywhere, including in India, the Indian titles of Mills & Boon would only serve to make it better.
“What is encouraging is the fact that our first Indian title ‘The Love Asana’ sold almost three times more than the regular Mills & Boon editions. So we can safely say it turned out to be quite popular,” says Singh
Source: Daily Bhaskar
Ralph Fiennes reads erotic Harry Potter fan fiction on Bravo TV’s Watch What Happens Live. Watch here. It’s funny to watch but I also think that it is fascinating for so many other reasons. First, it probably is in violation of the copyright but it might be considered fair use. Second, look at how far fan fiction has infiltrated the mainstream consciousness. Third, with the rise of self published titles coming from fan fiction comes new ethical issues.
Sacramento Bee has a story on bestseller lists. They are secretive but powerful. However, the best sales tool isn’t a NY Times endorsement, but word of mouth.
“Even in this digital age, the best sales tool remains word of mouth,” said Stuart Applebaum, spokesman for Random House, the biggest publisher in the United States. “Nothing trumps that. It’s the reason why Laura Hillenbrand’s (nonfiction) ‘Unbroken’ is still a national best-seller 14 months after publication.”
Source: Sacramento Bee
BN is having a paperback sale. Buy one, get one 50% off.
- A Cold Day for Murder (Kate Shugak #1) by Dana Stabenow * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Bound To Love by Sally Clements * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Fateful by Ecstasy * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Fools Rush In by Janice Thompson * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Intentions of the Earl by Rose Gordon * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Intimate Strangers by Laura Taylor * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Looking For Trouble by Erin Kern * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- My Boyfriend’s Back by Chrissy Olinger * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- No More Lies by Mona Risk * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Not What She Seems by Victorine E. Lieske * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- What She Doesn’t Know by Tina Wainscott Jaime Rush * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- With This Kiss by Victoria Lynne * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Maid for Love by Marie Force * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Nightwalker by Jocelyn Drake * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Of Swine and Roses by Ilona Andrews * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel by Pip Ballantine * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- What It Was by George Pelecanos * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- White Tiger by Kylie Chan * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Ecstasy by Bella Andre * $1 * A | BN | K | S
- Garnet’s Treasure by Jillian Hart * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Jonah’s Bride by Jillian Hart * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- MacLain’s Wife by Jillian Hart * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- The Rancher’s Return by Jillian Hart * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Under the Kissing Bough by Shannon Donnelly * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- A Candle in the Window by Jillian Hart * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- American Diva by Julia London * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Beauty Queen by Julia London * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Extreme Bachelor by Julia London * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Material Girl by Julia London * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Miss Fortune by Julia London * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Wedding Survivor by Julia London * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One by Ashley Gardner * $5.99 * A | BN | K | S
- by * * A | BN | K | S