Monday News: Come see me and Julie James in Naperville IL

I’m interviewing author Julie James at the Lady Jane’s Salon in Naperville IL, in conjunction with her new release “Love Irresistibly” which I did love.  I’m not sure what questions I’ll be asking her (so if you have any ideas, let me know).  But we would love to have you attend. It is as Le Chocolat du Bouchard and I’ve been informed there will be a bookseller there to sell James’ books to you if you haven’t already purchased them already.

This is an extension of the Save the Contemporary campaign that Sarah Wendell of SmartBitches and I started about four years ago. It’s hard to believe that there were almost no contemporary romances being published at that time and that we were begging people to buy contemporaries because we loved them so much and wanted to see more published.

My how the market has changed.  I feel like we need to start a “Save the Historical” site now.

Here are the deets (April 2):

Le Chocolat du Bouchard

2nd Floor (aka The Loft)
129 South Washington Street
Naperville, IL 60540
7:00 – 9:00 pm

I lost access to some books after Fictionwise closed despite the promise that B&N would transfer all of them to my B&N account. The truth was that many did not make the transfer. As more cases of fair use and first sale go up to the Supreme Court, one of the issues that the higher court will have to deal with is the fairness to the consumer. Booki.sh Blog

“Using single words to describe actions and objects quickly brings them to mind. When someone “stabs” a straw into their drink we see it, but “pokes swiftly” is not so clear. When a person “meanders” it is more accurate than “walking slowly”. A man whose foot is described as a “hoof” is much more vivid that having “gnarled toes and sole”.”

It’s a long, kind of disparate read but worthwhile. Buffer

1. CG
    Mar 25, 2013 @ 07:11:48

I read the post twice and didn’t see a date for the Lady Jane’s Salon. It’s possible I missed it, as it is pretty early and I’m as of yet uncaffeinated.

Mar 25, 2013 @ 07:16:20

@CG – I had forgotten to add the date. Can’t you read my mind?

3. Patricia Eimer
    Mar 25, 2013 @ 08:09:09

They’re giving away Nooks? Somewhere, deep inside the lair that is Amazon headquarters someone is doing a happy dance as they await their bonus check.

4. Lazaraspaste
    Mar 25, 2013 @ 09:56:23

Oh man. So close, yet so far away.

5. Angela
    Mar 25, 2013 @ 10:24:06

Dang, I really would have loved to come down for the Julie James interview – and it’s so close (relatively speaking), but a Tuesday night is not going to work for me….work the next day is going to interfere. *le sigh* Have an awesome time! I can’t wait to read the interview.

6. MD
    Mar 25, 2013 @ 16:41:34

Argh! Please, please, don’t spread more grammar myths! The author of that blog article has no idea what he is talking about. “Avoid adjectives in speech and writing!” – his first example is “walk slowly”. No adjectives there, just an adverb. And “gnarled toes and sole” is not a good substitute for a “hoof” because it’s not a hoof! I have (sadly) gnarled toes, but I definitely don’t have hoofs ;-)

And then things like “remove be from your language”: don’t say “I am convinced”, say “It appears to me that”. What does it have to do with using “be”? It’s rephrasing using more tentative language, which is important in certain discussions, but should you never say “I am convinced that she is innocent”? Really? Or “I am sure she will be a great teammate” (which of course also has “be” in it)?

Most of the discussion on the language processing in the brain is misquoting/misunderstanding research of people I actually work with. The graphic has nothing to do with actual research quoted. The research quoted on top has nothing to do with the follow-up facts.

I am just sad that poorly written and poorly researched stuff like that is getting additional publicity :(