Monday News: B&N is being investigated by the SEC, marketing v....

(1) the Company’s restatement of earnings announced on July 29, 2013, and (2) a separate matter related to a former non-executive employee’s allegation that the Company improperly allocated certain Information Technology expenses between its NOOK and Retail segments for purposes of segment reporting.

Barnes & Noble reports that it is cooperating with the SEC’s investigation; however, BN stock fell almost 8% after the bookseller’s quarterly report detailing the investigation was released. Forbes

“The lines between editorial and marketing content are already blurred, as marketers work to answer questions and solve problems for both current and prospective customers. If publishing incumbents can’t establish a customer-facing legitimacy, marketers may become their new and even primary distribution channel.” Magellan Media

“To say that there’s no market today for digital products like cookbooks, textbooks, and the like would be like saying in 1978 that there was no market for PCs in the home or school simply because there were only a handful of truly successful models, none of which came from one of the major computer manufacturers (Wikipedia).” The Digital Reader

“The report found that these industries included about 5.4 million jobs for US workers or about 5 percent of all private sector jobs. These jobs paid on average 33 percent more than other jobs, according to the study.” Galley Cat

“‘These are often professionally successful women who represent the new India. Even though a large part of our readership still comes from older women in the 35-40 years age bracket, we are wooing a younger demographic such as college girls and young professional women who are probably single and at a marriageable age,’ adds Chowdhury.

That the stereotypes about the Mills & Boon men being chauvinistic and dominating are changing also helps in wider acceptability. “The Indian titles, which now sell far more than the global ones in this market, offer a great degree of cultural and gender sensitivity. The women characters are not just secretaries or school teachers like those of yesteryears, they are doctors, bankers and engineers; and the men even if they are rich and handsome are also sensitive and make adjustments. The themes of second marriage and arranged marriage have also been explored in recent Indian M&B titles,” explains Chowdhury.” Economic Times

1. Lil
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 07:02:53

“Customer-facing legitimacy”? I find it difficult to take seriously anyone who can use a phrase like that with a straight face.

2. SAO
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 07:11:20

Oh I love Indian movies. Even the ones with predictable plots and ham acting. Seeing the values and assumptions of a different society adds so much interest. How do I find Indian Harlequins?

3. Lynnd
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 08:42:22

Given that Shatzkin has gotten just about everything wrong, why does anyone listen to him anymore? Unless the publishing industry starts to think outside the box, they will lose the market for things like cookbooks, craft books, travel books etc. to apps which allow for interaction. I recently just purchased the Food that Really Schmecks (Edna Staebler’s cookbook of Waterloo Region Ontario recipes (mostly Mennonite/Amish) which was first written in the 70s – she has the best pumpkin pie recipe IMO). It is searchable, has photos and vidoes of Edna and of the Waterloo Region, and it is only a few dollars. I can certainly see cookbook and craft people doing somehing like this, rather than just publishing a simple book.

I hope that we’ll see some of the Indian titles here in North America.

4. Laura J
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 08:50:13

Yeah, I want to find some of these Indian Harlequins too. A couple of Shoma Narayanan’s were reviewed on DA, and the KISS ones are 1.99 so I think I might buy them. But I can’t find any of the other authors mentioned in the article on Kobo or Sony.

Also, hearing about another engineer writing romance novels makes me smile :)

5. Sunita
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 09:38:59

I think most of these books are only distributed in India. Harlequin India has its own website and there are about a dozen Indian-authored books available (including Shoma Narayan’s), but the India-origin ones aren’t distributed outside India by Harlequin that I can tell. Rupa is an Indian publisher, widely available there but not distributed in the US/Europe. Indibooks Indireads is also publishing romance (Jane reviewed one, HAVELI, earlier this year). There is also a line of India-set, Indian-authored historical fiction by a publisher whose name escapes me at the moment.

If you want the Harlequins as ebooks you have to download an Indian app (I think it’s only at the Google Play store) and I don’t know if content is available outside India, I haven’t tried it out.

Print books are available through Indian sites like flipkart.com. ETA: Indireads makes their books available via Amazon (US for sure, don’t know about other countries).

6. PatF
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 10:16:57

Today I read on article saying that Ida Pollock has died at the age of 105 years. She wrote more that 120 romance novels under the names Susan Barrie, Rose Burghley and Marguerite Bell, primarily for Mills and Boon.

7. Lindsay
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 14:46:53

@Lynnd: That cookbook has been a family staple for years now — I agree, that pumpkin pie is amazing! Thanks for letting me know it’s available online, I can stop using the photocopied pages from my mom’s copy, hah.

E-ink didn’t really do a lot of justice to cookbooks and the like, but with tablets that’s really been taken care of, and I still have some recipe books that are formatted really well for my e-reader — no pictures but the recipes themselves are pretty great. I’d love a tablet for photography books, mine take up massive amounts of space and they’re hard to handle without worrying about damaging them.

8. Susan
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 17:55:58

I don’t have a problem with digital cookbooks for the most part, and I have a fairly decent collection of them. I’m less comfortable with craft books–especially ones with patterns, charts, lengthy instructions, etc. I haven’t figured out a way to get them to work well for me.

9. txvoodoo
    Dec 09, 2013 @ 21:47:57

Shatzkin is sooo wrong. As a knitter / crafter, lemme tell you, wrong wrong wrong. One of the best things about ebooks is knitting books, books with other instructional pieces.

10. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity hopes no one is triskaidekaphobic today