Monday News: Bill Gates’s best books, Best Buy’s comeback, Netflix’s successful...

“Best Buy stock has gained nearly 240 percent so far this year, putting it among the top three performing stocks in the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index. Now every struggling chain, from J. C. Penney to Barnes & Noble, is scrutinizing Best Buy to figure out how the company did it.” New York Times

“With that in mind, we could argue that Netflix’s approach is an effort to compensate for sub-par programming, but it’s really not. Some of their original shows, including Orange is the New Black and House of Cards, are on par with premium cable these days. They have the goods. They don’t need a gimmick to make people watch. But releasing this survey does indicate that they see the value in the approach they’re taking, and it’s putting them ahead of the pack in terms of how other networks and services release their content. “ Television Blend

“There are very few datasets of this nature free for any use and by putting it online we hope to stimulate and support research concerning printed illustrations, maps and other material not currently studied. Given that the images are derived from just 65,000 volumes and that the library holds many millions of items.” Boing Boing

1. LeeF
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 07:46:35

Bunny Hop Swap- what a great title to start a Monday morning.

2. Karenmc
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 09:54:31

I saw the story about the British Library last night and started dancing in my chair.

Also, I was binge-watching “Whitechapel” this weekend.

3. Darlynne
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 10:23:29

@Karenmc: Agreed. I love that these images are available. What a very generous, public-spirited thing to do.

Also, I was binge-watching “Sleepy Hollow” to get caught up, after doing the same with season two of “Homeland” last week. Now if only “The Newsroom” would show up on DVD, I can complete my trifecta.

4. sula
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 14:29:11

Mmm, a netflix binge…yeah I know about those. DH and I went through seasons 1 and 2 of “the Tudors” this weekend and are planning to get a few episodes in every evening this week. For episodic drama that connects into one large story arc, it is hard NOT to binge when you have the capability at your fingertips. And no commercials.

5. MikiS
    Dec 16, 2013 @ 18:26:21

@Karenmc:

Is Whitechapel on Netflix now? I looked a couple of months ago and they didn’t have it (streaming).

It seems like everytime I try to find a movie – even one that was released 2-5 years ago – it’s not on Netflix streaming. I’ve been really frustrated with that. There just isn’t that much on TV that I want to watch these days!

6. DS
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 07:29:30

@MikiS: Just to let you know, I did watch Whitechapel (3 seasons) on Netflix.

Netflix also has the first season of Fall, the Gillian Anderson series that is going into a second season. I’ve been fascinated by the reaction of various reviewers. There’s no real mystery about who the killer is and that he is a sexually sadistic psychopath but people keep saying that they find him more likable than Anderson’s character for reasons that I can’t give for fear of spoilers. I think a point is being missed there.

7. Moriah Jovan
    Dec 17, 2013 @ 13:30:31

I binge-watched DEAD LIKE ME, then cried at the end because there were no more.

8. Karenmc
    Dec 18, 2013 @ 13:45:45

@DS: I found the first three seasons of Whitechapel on Amazon Prime Instant. Rupert Penry-Jones is a lovely, lovely man.

9. Stumbling Over Chaos :: ‘Tis the season to linkity