Monday News: Beloved middle grade author passes; Author frustrated with Noble...

How it works Each year, 30 books are chosen by an independent panel of librarians and booksellers. The authors of the books waive their royalties and the publishers agree to pay the costs of producing the specially-printed World Book Night U.S. editions. Bookstores and libraries sign up to be community host locations for the volunteer book givers. After the book titles are announced, members of the public apply to personally hand out 20 copies of a particular title in their community. World Book Night U.S. vets the applications, and the givers are chosen based on their ability to reach light and non-readers. The selected givers choose a local participating bookstore or library from which to pick up the 20 copies of their book, and World Book Night U.S. delivers the books to these host locations. Givers pick up their books in the week before World Book Night. On April 23rd, they give their books to those who don’t regularly read and/or people who don’t normally have access to printed books, for reasons of means or access.

On February 7, when Serenity’s Dream still hadn’t been put up on All Romance Ebooks, I wrote to Mr. Gombart.

I wondered when you will be getting Serenity up on All Romance ebooks. I see it isn’t there and a good share of my sales have come from there, behind Amazon of course. My tour officially starts on Sunday and I’d like to have the link should people wish to shop there.
Hope all is well,
Brita

On February 7, I received this reply:

I basically do not work with them, them represent 0.9% of our overall sales.
I may do it for you in the next future but I have other emergencies.
I hope you understand the logic behind that.
Jean Marc Philippe Gombart
CEO
Noble Romance Publishing

There was a great deal of back and forth, me explaining my side and him his. Ultimately, later that day, I received this:

This is pointless to do promotion that cost us more than the revenue it may generate.
I will upload later you book on ARe because you ask for it but you must understand that based on performance, they are not my priority.
Best Regards,

Jean Marc Philippe Gombart
CEO
Noble Romance Publishing

1. Patricia Eimer
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 07:01:34

PW’s obituary is lovely and the Noble Publishing thing? Ouch.

2. Brita Addams
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 07:32:10

Thank you, Jane, for picking up this story. This company has hurt many more authors than it’s helped.

3. Rita Oberlies
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 08:41:47

Thanks for sharing the news about E.L. Konigsburg. In the wake of all the happened last week I completely missed news of her passing. As an elementary school student I had a particular fondness for her novels, especially “From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler”. Last year I introduced her work to my 10 year old son. It was an instant hit with him too.

4. Jewel
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 10:09:52

I’ve always thought of myself as ‘just a reader’ (despite all the writing I used to do in my corporate gig) and I really want to thank you, Jane, for writing about the publishing side of the equation from a reader’s perspective. I have learned so much; things I never would have even thought of, let alone now know they are regular occurrences. The whole Noble thing is just one example of the type of activity you have opened my mind to – so in all sincerity, thanks. It does help me make buying decisions, both on authors and purchase locations.

5. Kari Gregg
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 11:10:20

For the love of all that is holy, yes, AVOID NOBLE ROMANCE. You can read about my experience with Noble releasing a second edition paperback of my Spoils of War that is a grossly inferior and substandard product here. Well, that has details I was willing to give the public, anyway. Noble released the second edition paperback in October 2012 without notifying me so I was totally unaware it existed or that there were problems until April 2013. Dimensions that are approx. 11″x9″, no title page, no page headers, no page numbers, no chapter breaks…and readers had been buying that atrocity for six months. Good God.

I’m filing a claim against Noble in Georgia magistrate court, not only due to the second edition frankenpod but also issues I haven’t mentioned or discussed in public. Unless writers would like to follow my footsteps into court…no. Just no. Stay away.

6. lawless
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:10:07

Thank you for letting us know about E.L. Konigsburg’s death. Her first book Jennifer, Hecate, et al. was a favorite of mine. I felt that it deserved a Newbury more than From the Mixed-Up Filed of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (which I liked too, just not as much). I particularly appreciated that she put herself out there by illustrating her earlier books in addition to writing them even though she hadn’t trained as an artist.

7. Kim in Hawaii
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:13:13

Thanks for the blurb about World Book Night. This will be my second year in distributing books to military families on Pearl Harbor – I have James Patterson’s MIDDLE SCHOOL: THE WORST YEARS OF MY LIFE.

8. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:45:34

I’d pull my books just based on the CEO’s poor grammar skills.

All your next future are belong to us.

9. DeeCee
    Apr 22, 2013 @ 23:06:12

Actually World Book Night is tomorrow 4/23. Looking forward to giving out my copies of Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett tomorrow night. :)

10. RFuller42
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 09:28:08

@Gwen Hayes:

My thoughts exactly. Not sure if English is not this guy’s native language, but his replies are disgracefully written.

11. J.S. Wayne
    May 02, 2013 @ 23:53:45

You may add my voice to the list. I am prominently listed on Piers Anthony’s HiPiers.com as one of the complainants against Noble Romance Publishing, and have just published a post at my blog (http://jswayne.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/silence-does-not-equal-consent/) concerning the substance of my issues. What triggered this was learning that Gombart is now claiming I am on friendly terms with Noble, all is forgiven, et cetera. I assure you this is not the case.

Best,

J.S. Wayne

12. Bob
    Mar 13, 2014 @ 15:07:42

Amazing issues here. I am vdry glad to see your
    article. Thank you a loot andd I am taking a look aheaad to contact you.
    Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?