Monday News: Murdoch rumored to bid on Penguin; South Carolina...

“If you live in South Carolina, there’s a very good chance that slipshod state government security has allowed an overseas computer criminal to acquire your Social Security number.

The South Carolina Department of Revenue acknowledged the massive electronic security breach today, saying an electronic intrusion led to 3.6 million Social Security numbers being stolen. The state’s population is approximately 4.7 million. “Security & Privacy – CNET News

It’s still a somewhat sweet story that will likely be grounds for another book.Publishing Perspectives

According to reports in early 2012, education accounts for more than 60% of its earnings and sales. Pearson recently bought EmbanetCompass, a company that assists colleges to move academic courses online.  It has launched Pearson College in the UK, a for profit online college.

NewsCorp is reportedly willing to offer $1.6 billion in cash. NYTimes.com

UPDATE: Per the comments Bertelsmann and Penguin have merged.

But, given that the winning bidder is going to pay close to three quarter of a million dollars for the deflowering, I’m guessing the bidder is similar to a romance hero and they always can tell with one thrust whether the heroine is a virgin. Their ability to sense virginity with their penii is unparalleled with their percentage correctness increasing proportionally with how slutty and whorish they believe the woman to be. Huffington Post

1. Kat
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 04:07:47

Both Bertelsmann and Pearson issued statements today to confirm the merger between Penguin and Random House.

2. Nadia Lee
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 05:42:58

3. Deb
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 06:57:38

I guess that’s better than News Corp.

And way to go, Nikki Haley!

4. Alicia
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 09:05:08

That merger happened fast. The better to troll the Internet for more fan fiction to publish. Stay classy, Penguin Random House.

Some chick decided to auction off her virginity but experts indicate that there is no way for virginity to be proven. The hymen is usually used to determine virginity. But this membrane that partially covers the entrance to the vagina can be ruptured from running or tampon usage.

That was my first thought when I heard about this story. How would she prove something like that if she doesn’t have a hymen? Caveat emptor, I guess.

5. Nadia Lee
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 09:27:22

@Alicia: You can surgically reconstruct it.

6. Courtney Milan
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 10:26:28

Re: virginity–

I have no problem believing that men, real or otherwise, believe that their schlong is an instrument of virgin-detection despite the fact that it is not.

I mean, I don’t expect the kind of man who think a girl’s a whore unless she’s a virgin to bow to something like science. There are men that demonstrably believe stupid things about the penis that are unsubstantiated by any medical evidence. There are women who believe the hymen is halfway up the vagina, and at some point at least some of those women had one of each.

So this trope is totally believable to me–eye rolling, yes, and demonstrating a distinct lack of body-knowledge–but that’s par for the course.

7. Courtney Milan
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 10:40:12

And to add: They haven’t merged, they’ve agreed to do so. I think they still have to get the DOJ onboard, which is probably a formality, and there are also some EU antitrust hurdles to leap, which are almost certainly less formal. I know very little about EU antitrust law except that at this point it tends to have more bite than US law.

8. library addict
    Oct 29, 2012 @ 23:18:35

Does this mean Penguin will settle with the DOJ/AG? I have to say Penguin has a much better website and I like many, many more of their regular authors than Random House. I hope they don’t cancel a bunch of my favorite mid-list authors’ contracts with this merge.