Monday News: Apple speculation builds, Kate Mosse and genre fiction, Jane...

Apple is holding a media event September 9th, so I’m going to engage in a full little hypothetical question: Based on current rumors for Apple products (an iWatch, a 12.9? screen iPad, and a larger iPhone), how likely am I to buy these devices? For the sake of discussion, I’ll pretend they would all come out this year, even though it’s more likely they’d come out over the next calendar year. –Gigaom

As a genre writer, says Mosse, “I’ve come out. It’s Mill on the Floss meets Psycho.” She also pays homage to other classics in the gothic tradition – The Castle of Otranto, Frankenstein and The Monk – but insists that Connie is “not a victim”, like most gothic heroines, but a “modern Ms”.

So, following the rebranding of the Women’s Prize for Fiction, Mosse has gone on to give a three-part masterclass in How to Survive as a Writer in the 21st century. –The Guardian

There’s an extended trailer and a very interesting comment thread here, in which at least one male commenter suggested that the premise was “rapey,” and he was shot down by a couple of women. Now, I hope this is all going to be subversive, but I can’t help but link this to some of the points that were made last week about the investment the American medical system has in keeping women ignorant (and therefore not advocates and skeptics of their own care). I did like some of the comments Gina Rodriguez has made, though:

Too often, Rodriguez says, Latinos are only seen as “maid, landscaper, pregnant teen. Mind you I am playing pregnant, but I’m not a teen.”

She’s also not, she points out, a size two — and she doesn’t want to be. She hopes that Jane can not only give viewers a different view of Latino culture, but also give young girls a different view of beauty and body image. –USA Today

CHOOSE correctly and you’ll find fame, fortune, and true love. Choose incorrectly and you’ll find misery, heartbreak, and a guest stint on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. –Neil Patrick Harris and Random House

1. Sandyl
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 07:07:55

I am a big Apple user (except for actual computers). However, I am not rich, so I usually need to budget or save money before a purchase. That being said, I won’t be driving to the store on release day. However, I am hoping that the price drops on the iPhone 5s so that I can afford one when I am eligible for an upgrade.

2. DS
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 07:31:45

I’ve bought a couple of Kate Mosse’s books but have not read them yet. Maybe the Taxidermist’s Daughter will be one that inspires me to read the others. It sounds very much like something I would enjoy–as soon as its available in the US.

Not going to watch Jane the Virgin. Sounds gross. A statement that I guess is odd when juxtaposed with what I just said sound interesting above. But my two most recent Audible pre-orders were the new Tana French and the new Cherie Priest, so at least I’m not inconsistent.

3. Amanda
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 08:01:08

I am a Neil Patrick Harris fan and this biography that puts the reader into the role of NPH sounds like him. However as a biography reader it makes me cringe a little.

4. Carolyne
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 09:47:36

@Amanda: I’m a huge fan of Choose-Your-Own stories and of Neil Patrick Harris (and have been working on a CYO-Romance since…um…forever), so I set my cringing aside and zoomed in like a hungry shark on a chance at a convention to get a preview sampler/ARC of the biography. The sampler was a bit unsatisfying, both in terms of being able to “choose” and for getting a sense of who NPH is. I wasn’t sure going in whether it would offer up alternative, but still true, ways to look at a person’s life; or whether it would be different routes from real-life vignette to vignette; or “road not travelled”; or whether it was simply snarky fun. It was a very short sampler, and I still gave up on it pretty quickly, with no idea what I’d just read. But also, the briefness of the excerpt might have been the problem with being unable to get into the concept.

I’m still so baffled about it I’m not sure whether I’ll buy the actual book.

5. Elinor Aspen
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 10:32:57

I am appalled that Jane the Virgin is considered a good premise for an American TV series by the youth-obsessed CW. Venezuela is a very macho, sexist country. It is sad that American audiences are also expected to enjoy a show based on the premise of a woman being violated by her doctor. And there is no question that it is a violation. I am reminded of the case of Cecil Jacobsen, the fertility doctor who was found to be inseminating patients with his own sperm. At the time, there was no law against doing that (even if his patients thought he was using anonymous donor sperm or their husbands’ sperm). However, he was eventually convicted of mail fraud, wire fraud and perjury.

6. Amanda
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 11:23:51

@Carolyne: Its the feeling that we really won’t get a sense of who NPH is that worries me.

7. Ani Gonzalez
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 12:58:13

That Jane The Virgin article is interesting. I have mixed feelings about how American TV has embraced the telenovela genre. I love novelas a much as the next Latina, but they are cheesy fantasy extravaganzas. They are not, and no one in Latin America expects or wants them to be, realistic portrayals of Latinos (or anything else for that matter). And yet, most of the Latino characters in US television are (or have been) either cartoonish telenovela adaptations (Ugly Betty, Devious Maids and now Jane the Virgin) or telenovela-like caricatures (Sofia Vergara’s character in American Family). This are not the multidimensional portrayals I was hoping for. I’m all for increasing the participation of Latinos in mainstream entertainment, but this is starting to give me the heebie-jeebies.

8. Little Red
    Sep 01, 2014 @ 17:14:33

I just bought a top of the line 15″ Macbook Pro with Retina Display but I don’t necessarily plan to buy into rest of the Apple ecosystem. We’ll see.