Monday News: Apple settlement fast-tracked, Sony Reader defunct, great Roxane Gay...

Under terms of the settlement, Apple will pay $400 million to consumers if the liability finding survives the appeal process; $50 million if the liability question is remanded or vacated; and nothing if the finding is reversed. In dismissing her own concerns over the damages that Apple could pay if her decision is remanded, Cote noted that the Plaintiffs believe that her liability finding will be upheld on appeal. In addition, Cote was persuaded by assurances from counsel that the agreement applies only to the liability finding—thus, if the decision is remanded for “administrative or non-substantive grounds that do not, or could not, affect the Liability Finding” the $400 million payout would still apply. –Publishers Weekly

There will be no PRS-T4, and lesen.net reports that the remaining stock of the Sony Reader PRS-T3 will be sold until it runs out. That device was was launched last fall in Europe but never shipped in the US, so I’m not sure how many people actually have one. –Publishers Weekly

Over the past few years, Gay has worked hard to raise the profile of writers of colour, conducting a count, for instance, of the books reviewed by leading publications. In 2012, she found that 90% of the books reviewed by the New York Times were by white writers – according to the 2010 census, 72% of the US population is white, so, as she noted, the figures are grim. She has also published lists of brilliant writers of colour on the Rumpus, and in Bad Feminist writes about the representation of black lives on screen and on the page. This includes a critique of two films that tell stories of slavery, Django Unchained, which she hated, and 12 Years A Slave, which she thought was brilliant. But she’s at the stage now, she says, where she can’t watch “any more slavery movies. It happened. It was bad. It’s still bad. The repercussions linger.” She’d like to see more films that take on those repercussions, but also more like the romantic comedy The Best Man, “which just show people living their lives. Just once in a while, we’d like to be carefree, too.” –The Guardian

After running the story, the publication saw its article go viral, and updated the story with reference to Sedaris’s fame.

In recognition for all his fantastic work and dedication and as a token of Horsham District Council’s appreciation, the council has named one of their waste vehicles after him.

The vehicle, bedecked with its bespoke ‘Pig Pen Sedaris’ sign was officially unveiled by the Lord-Lieutenant of West Sussex Mrs Susan Pyper at an outdoor ceremony on July 23.

District councillor for Chantry Ward, Diana van der Klugt, said: “David Sedaris is a familiar and very welcome sight in the lanes and by-ways of this lovely part of Horsham District, as he tirelessly and painstakingly goes about gathering up the litter so thoughtlessly discarded. –West Sussex County Times

1. library addict
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 06:41:13

I wish Sony had been run by execs who’d had a clue about digital reading. Oh well, I love my 650 and still use it sometimes.

2. Amanda
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 07:28:30

My first reader was a Sony 505 and I still use it occasionally though the battery doesn’t last very long anymore. I would think it was a better reader then my keyboard kindle if it wasn’t for the dependence on a Adobe.

3. Lisa J
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 08:02:14

I love my Sony reader. In fact, mine started to die and I tried a Nook (the old style so I can use an SD card), but I hated it. eBay is my friend and I am now the proud owner of a PRS-T3. I may have to look for another and save it for when this one bites the dust.

4. Diana
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 08:34:40

@Amanda: Oh, man, that was my first e-reader too! I loved it, and it was a great introduction to the world of ebooks. I still remember holding it for the first time and just being in awe that it could hold so many books at once. Haha.

5. Laura Jardine
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 08:59:57

I use a PRS-T1, and it is the only e-reader I’ve ever had (2.5+ years now, I think?) I like it well enough, but it’s developed some problems over the years. For example, about 1/4 of the time, using the dictionary freezes the device and I have to press the reset button. The software isn’t great, either.

Even before the demise of the Sony e-reader, I decided I’d get a Kobo next. I know there are ways to convert epubs to mobis, but I would prefer not to have to do that, so I don’t want to go with a Kindle. Kindles were introduced in Canada pretty late IIRC, and I think Kobo is most popular here?

6. Samantha
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 09:10:21

The Sony 505 was my first e-reader. I haven’t used it in years since I moved on to a Kindle Fire and now an iPad. My husband got it for me for my birthday a couple months after we were married. It was the first gift he ever bought me. He even had the front engraved. I still have it sitting in a drawer in my nightstand.

7. leslie
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 09:12:13

David Sedaris is one in a million. West Sussex is lucky to have him. We saw him perform recently and I laughed and cried my heart out. His Christmas story about being a Macy’s Elf is one the funniest things ever! Thanks for the post.

8. leslie
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 09:14:09

my comment got the 404…..is in spam?

9. SAO
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 09:43:43

It’s interesting that the e-readers with closer ties to bookstores survived. When you think about it, there was no reason for bookstores or publishers to promote e-books, given that they’d do in the bricks and mortar for the one and the profitable hardcover for the latter.

A lesson in technology introduction.

10. Evangeline Holland
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 10:54:25

I won the Sony 700 from a Smart Bitches contest in 2009 or so. I loved it, but the technological strides and the growth of the Kindle made book buying on my Sony a hassle. At least Kobo has coupons every month–you were stuck with Sony pricing (higher than other stores) save for that monthly or seasonal one-use coupon code.

11. Sirius
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 11:50:14

Sony was my first ereader too – before kindle. I did not go back but I enjoyed it while I used it.

12. Wahoo Suze
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 12:45:09

I’m still using the PRS-505 I got in 2009. At the time, Kindle wasn’t available in Canada, and Kobo wasn’t a thing yet. And the iPad was still a rumour. I’ll be very sad when my Sony dies.

I never bought a book from the Sony bookstore, for some reason. I think that, when I bought the reader, it was incompatible with my Mac? I remember I had to register it through somebody else’s computer, because I couldn’t do it on my Mac. I had pretty limited sources to buy books, and at just about the same time, the publishers limited them even further, which forced me to go outside of my comfort zone, author-wise.

I suppose eventually, I’ll get a Kobo. Not until I have to, though.

13. Darlynne
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 13:22:48

I had just been reading about Roxane Gay, but for a different reason. It isn’t enough that she’s a scholar, essayist, and fiction writer apparently:

Sorry, if links aren’t OK, please remove my post.

14. Janine
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 14:38:38

My first ereader was a Sony too, though I switched to kindle three and a half years ago. At the time I got my Sony, it had a far more attractive design than the first kindles. It was also my first experience of e-ink, which I hope never goes away! RIP, Sony reader devices.

15. Rosario
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 14:52:29

I had a Sony 505 for a while and didn’t really like it. I had an ebookwise before (I loved that thing, even with its screen that looked like a calculator display!), and I just couldn’t get used to the teeny tiny page-turn buttons on the Sony. I had it for about a year and a half before buying myself a kindle and thinking yep, this is what e-readers are supposed to be.

16. Janine
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 15:44:30

I loved the profile of Roxane Gay in The Guardian. Has anyone here read Bad Feminist? After reading the profile, I’m eager to read more of her.

@Darlynne: That is horrible. At first I wanted to say unbelievable, but sadly it’s all too believable.

17. EC
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 18:22:31

As far as your WW1 project, I can highly recommend a book called Fanny Goes to War by Pat Beauchamp Washington. It’s a WW1 ambulance driver’s account of her experiences. It’s available free for Kindle, and it’s mentioned in this thread about public domain books on the Kindle discussion forum: http://amzn.to/1rKpehU If you search within the thread for the term war, there are several other books from the time that people have recommended, also.