Monday News: Apple continues its losing streak, say goodbye to DailyCandy...

Apple Loses Two Key Decisions in E-book Case – Apple continues to suffer at the pen of Judge Cote, who has made it even more likely that Apple will be paying out HUGE in damages. First Cote granted class action status (aka certified the class) in the state and consumer actions, which means that they can all sue together in one action. Then she rejected two of Apple’s expert witnesses and refused to disqualify the testimony of Roger Noll, which basically amounts to accepting the plaintiff’s estimate of damages over the defendant’s (Apple). Which, of course, is significant, because plaintiffs’ analysis sets damages at a much higher level — possibly as high as $840 million (minus the $166 million in settlement funds, of course). Pretty much everyone expects Apple to appeal both decisions.

As part of her granting class certification, Cote also denied Apple’s motion to strike the testimony of the plaintiff’s expert witness, Roger Noll, setting the stage for Noll’s model to be used in determining a final damage award. In her opinion, Cote called Noll’s analysis “straightforward,” and rejected attempts by Apple’s expert witnesses—economists Joseph Kalt and Jonathan Orszag—to discredit Noll’s model. –Publishers Weekly

NBCUniversal-Owned DailyCandy and Television Without Pity Will Be Shut Dow – In a hugely sad move, NBC-Universal is shutting down both DailyCandy and Television without Pity, which means the displacement of 67 employees total (64 at DailyCandy and 3 (!) at TWoP). The reason offered for the move is the predictable not enough traffic and, therefore, not enough money (however that is measured). I have to say that I’m kind of surprised by this move, although I’m not familiar enough with all of the market competition to these two sites. Still, both have been around for more than 6 years, and have compiled pretty substantial archives. TWoP’s forums have also been a pretty good source of entertainment.

So what happens to the huge amount of content in the archives of both DailyCandy and TWoP? It will all be saved in the digital ether, but not be available to the public. One small caveat that should please no one regardless: TWoP’s popular user forums will be kept open until May 31. –Re/code

Mammy Revealed, and Not Just Her Red PetticoatGone With the Wind has been in the ether quite a bit lately. In just a few months, an official (aka authorized by the Mitchell Estate) prequel is being published, written by Donald McCraig, who also wrote one of the authorized sequels, Rhett Butler’s People. The prequel, Ruth’s Journey, focuses on the personal history of “Mammy,” and, according to the publisher’s editorial director, Peter Borland, it will answer one of the major criticisms of the original GWTW:

“What’s really remarkable about what Donald has done is that it’s a book that respects and honors its source material, but it also provides a necessary correction to what is one of the more troubling aspects of the book, which is how the black characters are portrayed,” Mr. Borland said.

In an email, Mr. McCaig, 73, who lives on a farm in Virginia, said that he was drawn to write about Ruth because there are “three major characters in ‘Gone With the Wind,’ but we only think about two of them.” –The New York Times

Ten of the world’s most beautiful bookshops – A little eye candy for the book lover. Happy Monday! –BBC Culture

1. Steph from fangswandsandfairydust.com
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 05:59:28

I have no idea what either of the NBC closures, Daily Candy and TV Without Pity even are, so while I feel bad for the job loss, it doesn’t have a direct meaning to me.

2. Carolyne
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 07:00:58

I used to participate on the lively, creative TWOP forums, definitely more than 7 years ago–when did “Lost” start?–but the moderators became increasingly (I’ll just say it) vindictive. Back then, the “if you don’t know the banning policies, you may not ask what they are” rule was notorious. It eventually soured me on reading any of the site for a long time.

Over the past couple of years I’ve looked backed in on the site more often, but it seemed to me that being corporate owned had turned it even more into a an over-cautious venue where the recaps offered no additional commentary–more summary than insight or editorial opinion–and where the forum posters walked on eggshells. AVClub isn’t perfect, but it easily fills TWOP’s shoes.

DailyCandy is popular at my workplace but I hadn’t even heard of it before a few months ago. I felt so unhip.

3. Tina
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 07:14:13

I am SUPER bummed about TWOP. I have been a member since early 2000 and it is a site that I can say without qualification I visited everyday. I was first attracted to the site because of the West Wing recaps which I will always fondly remember because the recapper coined the term ‘Pedeconferencing’ referring to the fast walking while talking that was a signature of that show.

I feel very bad for the people losing their jobs, but feel just as bad for the loss of the content. They have recapped hundreds of shows over the years and the writing, especially in the early days when it was Mighty Big TV, was sharp, witty, and often brilliant. Miss Alli’s recaps of the early seasons of The Amazing Race for instance are fantastic. There some recaps I have saved just to go back and read because they can still make me laugh out loud.

I also love that the site had no small effect on pop culture as well. Aaron Sorkin’s participation in and later falling out with forum participants led to a very pointed episode of The West Wing, Also, just a handful of NYC posters on The Amazing Race boards decided to have a viewing party get together to watch the finale. TARcon was born and became so huge in later years that race participants would show up to join in. And to this day whenever Victor Garber shows up in anything, it is not unusual to see him referred to as Spy Daddy, the name given to him by posters on the Alias boards.

Sigh. RIP TWOP.

4. LeeF
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 07:58:23

Weirdly enough, my only connection with TWoP is also The West Wing. After I watched an episode, I would take a look at the forums and be entertained (sometimes amazed or horrified) by the threads. Sometimes the insights about the show were more interesting than the episode; othertimes- just batshit crazy. Ah, good times. Really sorry to lose the archive.

5. Tanya
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 08:33:39

Those of us who miss TWOP always found a gateway in with a show. For me, it was long-forgotten VH-1 reality show Bands on the Run. But I stuck around for things like the early American’s Next Top Model recaps, which were golden.

When they sold to NBC/Universal, it was such a clusterpluck, and my username got lost in the ether, never able to recover or re-register. But even though my commenting days were behind me, my reading days weren’t. I still used TWOP for spoilers on shows or to find out what might or might not be cancelled.

In addition to people who will lose their jobs, if the archives disappear from public view you lose a link toe last decade and beyond of television reviews and discourse. Funny how you can go to a library and view back issues of newspapers, but for all the glory of the digital age something like this will be gone forever.

6. Kristin
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 09:16:09

It’s not just the three staffers at TWoP losing their jobs – it’s all the freelancers who do the recaps losing them, too. It’s kind of disingenuous for the article to say it’s only three people out there – it’s actually many more.

I will be so sad to see that site go. No one else does recaps like them any more. And the talent pool that’s come from that site is incredible – Fug Girls, Linda Holmes @ NPR, Previously TV. To think that all of that writing is just going into the void… it’s such a waste. Just because it was about TV doesn’t mean it wasn’t sharp, insightful, and well-written (not to mention funny as hell most of the time).

7. Liz Mc2
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 09:29:48

On of my colleagues pointed out that the lack of a publicly accessible archive for things like TWoP is a real problem for popular culture scholars as well.

8. Angela
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 09:39:31

I just discovered TWoP, and I’m super bummed that it’s going away! I’ve been enjoying my binge reading (while I still can) over the last couple of days.

I wish there was a way to keep it available to the public somewhere.

9. Sirius
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 09:41:33

I used to read TWoP recaps too, but haven’t for a long time. Did they start charging for access at some point? I am sad to see them go in any event.

10. Carolyne
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 10:20:17

I had tried to post a comment earlier about TWOP that I’m now glad disappeared, seeing the other comments that have come after. I, too, participated since the early days, and found myself driven away from it long before it came under the NBC umbrella–and the new ownership only exacerbated the problems.

AVClub is far from perfect, but it’s where I go now for the same sort of fix, though I don’t comment there.

DailyCandy is very popular at my office, but I’d never heard of it before I started working here. I felt so unhip.

11. Robin/Janet
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 10:39:55

For those of you unfamiliar with Daily Candy and Television without Pity, here are the sites:

I’m particularly sad about TWoP, in part because although Daily Candy is popular, there are a number of decent women’s lifestyle sites out there. TWoP, though, is IMO irreplaceable, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to persuade NBCU to keep the archive online and available to the public.

12. Lada
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 11:17:47

@Tina: Ditto everything you said. TwoP was where I discovered the beauty of snark-with-compassion. It was clear that the people snarking about the shows they were writing about loved what they were watching. And the insight was astonishing; the observations of the human condition was perceptive as well as humorous. I could only handle a couple of seasons of Survivor but wanted to keep watching to be able to enjoy the TwoP recaps. I was there for the Sorkin fracas and enjoyed knowing just how lemonlyman.com came to be.

I don’t understand at all why NBC/Universal can’t make such a rich archive permanently available. The only explanation is their inability to take the snark directed towards them.

And yes, I always think “Spy Daddy!” whenever Victor Garber makes an appearance.

13. Ducky
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 12:42:14

I will really miss TWoP. I have been a member there since 2003 and visiting the site is/was (bleh!) a daily routine for me. I don’t understand the argument of low traffic – when certain shows air during prime time the site would often break or slow down when there was too much traffic.

It’s very sad.

14. Evangeline Holland
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 14:05:25

@Tina: Mighty Big TV!

I actually stopped visiting when they changed to Television Without Pity, but before then I looooved the site for its recaps of my favorite WB shows. MBTV/TWoP was, I believe, one of the first entertainment sites characterized by the snarky, witty, and insightful TV reviews/recaps that are now the norm.

Gosh, between the end of TWoP, the decline of LiveJournal, the closing of Geocities, AOL chat rooms, and a few other things, a lot of places where I lived online in the late 90s/early 00s have disappeared into the internet ether. Are we going to be the first generation to not leave a paper trail for future study and discovery?

15. Tina
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 14:26:13

@Evangeline Holland:
    Were you on Fametracker, TWOP’s sister site? To this day the demise of Fametracker is probably my most lamented loss — until TWOP of course. Imo, there has never been a good online replacement where you could discuss specific celebs & their identity as it pertains to pop culture. Also, the editorial content (The Fame Audit, Two Stars/One Slot, Hey It’s That Guy! etc.) was some of the most incisive looks at celebrities as people and their professional influence. And the witty writing of the staff attracted the same level of wit and incisiveness from the posters.

16. deputman
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 15:16:40

As a MBTV/TwoP readers since 2000, I’m still in the denial stage of mourning. As an SU alum, I can’t help thinking that some place like the Bleier Center (http://tvcenter.syr.edu/) is the rightful home for the archives. I wouldn’t be surprised if NBC thinks the same thing but is pulling down the content until it can monetize it. I suspect no one will get it until they cough up some change.

17. Jane Davitt
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 16:07:57

I’ve read and posted at TWoP for years and I’m gutted at the closure of the site and infuriated that the archives will be closed to the public. If they’re not going to be deleted, why can’t they just…be there? Finance the hosting costs with ads, hell, even charge an annual subscription if needs be.

This is a researcher’s goldmine and an invaluable fandom resource. It’s a sin and a shame to render it inaccessible.

I’m currently rewatching Buffy with my daughter; after each episode, I read the Buffy recaps, remembering some great lines from my first readings, many years back. The recaps and discussion enhance my enjoyment of a show; I’ll miss it a lot.

18. Ducky
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 17:45:09

Won’t all the TWoP content, recaps, forum posts, etc. automatically be available through the wayback-machine?

19. Evangeline Holland
    Mar 31, 2014 @ 23:20:55

@Tina: I actually missed Fametracker. I heard about its beautifully insane implosion, however. The bittersweet part about the demise of TWoP is that I drifted away from TV/movie/pop culture when I discovered Romancelandia, and now I’m drifting back to that.

But there’s something we can take from this about the monetization of content, fandom, and the like that has echoes of last week’s op-ed (and spin-off posts on other blogs) about blogging/reading/review culture vis-a-vis reader/reviewer/blogger-author relations. I’m still piecing my theory together, but I see a connection.

20. txvoodoo
    Apr 02, 2014 @ 15:18:34

@Tina:

The TAR recap “You gotta dance with the ox that brung ya” made me weep with laughter. It was epic:

“Anyway, in Stage XII (Deserving Each Other, Part One), Christie says, “Grab the plow!” In Stage XIII (Deserving Each Other, Part Two), Colin screams, “I CAN’T GET HIM TO GO OVER THERE!” In Stage XIV (Nothing Says “I Have No Argument” Quite Like “Calm Down”), Christie says, “Calm down.” In Stage XV (Them Animals Scare Easy), Colin screams, “WHY DO YOU KEEP TURNING?” (Ox: “Because you are a lot funnier than writing my name in the mud with my tail again, and moreover, now I am immortal!”) In Stage XVI (Provoking For Provocation’s Sake), Christie says, dripping contempt, “Colin, why don’t you learn how to control him?” In Stage XVII (No One In His BMX Club Will Talk To Colin Now That They’ve Heard Him Scream Like A Little Girl), Colin screams, “I’m tryin’!” In Stage XVIII (Having the Upper Hand And Making Sure Everyone Knows It), Christie says, again dripping contempt, “Listen to yourself. No wonder you can’t control it.” Easy to say in the non-plowing role, isn’t it, non-plowing non-plower? “I CAN’T MAKE HIM GO OVER THERE!” Colin shouts again. In Stage XIX (Turning Into A Freudian Mother-Related Nightmare), Christie says, “I don’t want another word coming out of your mouth.” In Stage XX (Unfortunately, Yes, He’s Talking To Christie And Not The Ox, As You Know If You Watch The Insider Videos), Colin doubles over with one hand on the plow and the other on his knee and whimpers — yes, whimpers — “Oh my God, I hate you.” In Stage XXI (She Is A Lovely Person Also), Christie says, “Oh my God, just plow.” And in Stage XXII (Just Plain Fucking Balls-Out Awesome), Colin leans back, looks at the sky, grimaces as if he is in a movie about eternal suffering, and…waits for guidance? Hopes to catch some rain in his mouth? Tries to look at the front of his own hat and fails? Hard to say.”

My ox is broken.

21. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity will weep copiously if we get the forecasted 9 inches of snow today
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 19:14:35