Monday News and Deals: The Nooks Are On Sale

The Final Four of the DABWAHA is set.  Karen Marie Moning’s Shadowfever looks to defeat Courtney Milan’s book, again.  You see, Courtney Milan had two books in the tournament.  One lost to Moning yesterday and Milan’s novella, Unlocked, goes up against Shadowfever in the early round on March 31, 2012.  The other match is Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh v. A Lot Like Love by Julie James.

This weekend we completed the Sweet Sixteen and the Elite Eight.  The winners can be seen here along with the prizes.

Barnes & Noble is selling the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Color for $150 on eBay. That’s right. Two ebook readers, one low price. I’m not sure that this is a sign of anything good at Barnes & Noble but it’s a great price for people looking for a good priced digital reader. eBay. Via Nate, the Digital Reader.

Kobo books is having a 20% off coupon for with code: jmar23us20k at Kobo Books This coupon code expires tonight at 11:59 pm EST. A few other deals of note:

• No One Lives Forever by Jordan Dane * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • No One Left to Tell by Jordan Dane * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • No One Heard her Scream by Jordan Dane * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S *Higher priced than the others but recommended *

1. Courtney Milan
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:29:00

The Final Four of the DABWAHA is set. Karen Marie Moning’s Shadowfever looks to defeat Courtney Milan’s book, again. You see, Courtney Milan had two books in the tournament. One lost to Moning yesterday and Milan’s novella, Unlocked, goes up against Shadowfever in the early round on March 31, 2012.

That’s just for dramatic tension, to make my eventual victory all the sweeter.

2. Janine
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:15:13

Go Courtney! I picked you to win.

Re. Finnikin of the Rock, since I wrote the review, I would like to make the point that while a B- from me is a positive grade, it is not quite high enough for a DA Recommended Reads banner. I start giving those out around B+. Marchetta’s Jellicoe Road, which I gave an A to, is, although twice as expensive as Finnikin, a superior book.

3. Meri
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:40:51

I don’t do brackets – not even for DABWAHA – but I’m happy Courtney got a Rita nomination. Congrats!

4. rachel
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 13:11:53

Great choices for the final four. I hate to root against Courtney Milan or Julie James (both so great!) but I hope Kiss of Snow takes it all. Love you, Nalini, and your willingness to include characters of every ethnicity in your books. Nalini!!!

5. ms bookjunkie
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 13:22:20

I grabbed the DEAD WITCH WALKING deal because I saw a livefeed of a Kim Harrison reading/signing with Patricia Briggs, and KH was very entertaining. (Also, PB highly recommended her books.)

(BTW, I had to dig deeper at Amazon to find the deal. They tried to fob off a different Kindle edition of the book on me, priced at over $10. …Umm, yeah. No!)

6. library addict
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 13:22:24

My dabwaha brackets are so pathetic looking at this point.

Congrats to the final four!

7. joanneL
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 15:57:12

Question Jane. What would happen to a reader’s previously purchased books if a company like B&N or Amazon went belly-up? Just asking.

Go Janine for the win! I, on the other hand, have staked my usual DABWAHA spot at the bottom of the pack. Still, I’m already thinking about next year’s ballot!

Mar 26, 2012 @ 18:09:02

@joanneL – if your books have no DRM, you are fine. If not, then you would need to strip the DRM and convert to a different format. Amazon Kindle books and BN Nook books can be read only on their platforms, unfortunately.

9. Elise
    Mar 26, 2012 @ 19:01:42

Huh thought my bracket was out of the running but now I’m in third. Come on Kiss of Snow! I believe in you!

10. JenM
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 05:22:15

I don’t think I’ve seen this deal mentioned anywhere – Isobel Cooper No Proper Lady $1.79. It’s a Sourcebooks sale and I think it is good through the beginning of April. I stumbled across it a few days ago and promptly bought it since the book has been on my wishlist.

11. lakaribane
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:38:30

I can’t click through to eBay because of geo restrictions. It says this:
    “Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.”
    Oh, well, good thing I’ve given up on ebooks and e-readers for now…

12. Charming
    Mar 27, 2012 @ 18:50:20

@joanneL:

It isn’t hard to strip DRM, and if the parent company went under I would be astonished if any court would not consider that fair use.