Monday News: Amazon App adds accessibility features; Nook adds Google Play;...

The commenters said it was a publicity stunt; that if she didn’t want publicity she shouldn’t have agreed to go public; that she showed bad judgment in sending intimate pictures to another man; that she should never have trusted a “friend/lover.” Etc. It’s pretty incredible to me how pervasive the victim blaming is in these cases. This is just part and parcel of the rape culture where the victim is continually blamed for someone else’s negative actions. Mail Online

As Brenner’s statistics suggest, the emphasis is on kids and YA. Manga still has a following, especially among classic series like Naruto and Bleach. Keller recently discovered a fan base for Kindachi. Superheroes remain popular over all, and Scholastic hits such as Kazu Kibuishi’s Amulet and books by Telgemeier (Smile, Drama) are heavily circulated. Brenner says novelist and comics writer Warren Ellis is a big draw for adults at her library, along with Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead (to the surprise of no one), Bill Willingham’s Fables, anything by Brian K. Vaughan and Marvel’s current hit, Hawkeye.

1. Deb Nam-Krane
    May 06, 2013 @ 05:00:06

A friend posted an article a few days ago about the young woman who doxxed the ex she accuses of rape on Tumblr. One of the comments from another friend about the specific actions was that the girl’s actions leading up to the rape were “dumb”, as if that were a justification for a criminal’s actions. I don’t even know anymore who’s allowed to be hurt without being blamed.

Some of my favorite reads these last two years have been George O’Connor’s Olympians series. He’s hitting all the right notes with the Greek myths- including some references most casual readers would have never seen before- and making the characters pop. I’m loving the Graphic Novel trend.

2. mari
    May 06, 2013 @ 06:53:56

HOORAY! HUZZAH! How sad is it that I feel like I am putting one over on “the man” as I gleefully download google play on my nook?!!! Thanks for posting this.

3. sandyl
    May 06, 2013 @ 08:18:06

Even though I use my iPad mini daily, I still kind of miss my Nook. I really like the new HD Nook, but was very put off by the lack of software. As the prices of the Nook go down, I may buy one.

4. Deb Nam-Krane
    May 06, 2013 @ 08:24:04

Wait! I want to stick it to the man too! But I thought Google Play was only available for the HD versions?

5. cleo
    May 06, 2013 @ 11:07:00

@Deb Nam-Krane: Yeah, it looks like Google Play is only available for the HD versions, not the regular Tablet or the Nook Color (and according to this article there are no plans to make it available for them (blast) – http://liliputing.com/2013/05/bn-adds-google-play-store-to-nook-hd-nook-hd.html )

6. Deb Nam-Krane
    May 06, 2013 @ 11:43:34

@cleo: Thank you and :-P Now how am I going to stick it to the man?

7. Kaley
    May 06, 2013 @ 12:30:55

THANK YOU for acknowledging the “blame the victim” culture that only seems to be growing decades after the feminist movement! Dating today feels like a quagmire for women. If you don’t send your guy racy pics, you’re being a prude. If you do, you’re showing poor judgment. How can you not trust someone your dating? Yet why should you, given how nasty breakups can be? It’s CRAZY.

8. Deb Nam-Krane
    May 06, 2013 @ 12:44:51

@Kaley: really? The expectation now is to send racy pictures? Dude!

9. Kaley
    May 06, 2013 @ 17:52:25

@Deb: Pretty much. It doesn’t help when you have singers like Rihanna saying things like “I feel sorry for the boyfriend if his girlfriend isn’t sending him pictures” and stuff.

10. Deb Nam-Krane