Monday News: A small suggestion for cover art change; US leads...

Bachelor Harlequin Photo Shoot

abs with labs

1. Meri
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 05:04:10

I hate dog covers. They imply to me that the dog will have a major role in the book, and I’m not interested in reading that much about the hero/heroine’s relationship with their pet. Also, I’m not a dog person. Given the popularity of cats on the internet and in popular culture, why aren’t there more cats on covers?

I’m actually more likely to buy romances with Bachelor/Bachelorette covers than ones with animals. But I’ll take a dog book over 50 Shades any day (I’m now picturing a 50-shades like cover featuring pet accessories).

2. CharlotteV
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 06:11:25

A 50 Shades of Grey-like cover with a dog leash on it? I’m not sure I would be thinking “There must be pets in this book!”

3. Ros
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 06:34:47

I’ve never watched The Bachelor, but I think that photo shoot looks kind of fun.

4. cleo
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 07:30:57

@Ros: I agree about the photo shoot. I want to know what line the punk looking costumes are for.

5. Liz Talley
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 08:04:45

I’m thinking the punk/spicy clothing for the photo shoot must be for Nocture? I think the photo shoot does look fun but I’m still leary about the message it sends about HQ books. I don’t watch the Bachelor because it treats commitment way too lightly. I suppose the thing it has in common is the whole openess to falling in love thing. Won’t see them on my covers which in one way is a relief, but then I think about all those fans of the Bachelor picking up the copies with the couple on the cover, and I sort of wish they were doing plain ol’ contemorary…you know those authors will likely sell more books because of those covers.

And dogs? I like them on the cover, but I’m a dog person. Love them and I suppose I think “These are my kind of people.” I love the Labs with Abs. Ironically, my poor lab Georgia had a false pregnancy so she’ll never get to be a cover model. In fact, I think if she could talk, she’d ask for a tummy tuck :) Fun topics for Monday.

6. Patricia Eimer
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 08:11:14

I can’t get into The Bachelor and I’ve tried. Half the women in my family watch it and so every season I sit down and watch about two episodes and all I can think is “wow, I’m pretty sure you people are a therapists lifetime supply of wet dreams.” If I were a guy I wouldn’t marry any of you either.

Meanwhile, I don’t think it’s going to matter to me one way or another if Bachelor contestants are on the cover of a HQN novel. Unless the story is some kind of suspense where contestants start killing each other off and the cover is one of the women standing on the others’ dead bodies. Especially if they release it before the final girl is chosen. Now that I might buy.

7. Susan
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 19:09:51

@CharlotteV: Ugh, with some books/genres, I’d probably worry the dog was going to be involved in a way I really wouldn’t want it to be. I know, I’m terrible.

8. Variel
    Jan 15, 2013 @ 00:57:26

@meri we could do cats with hats for the fashionable cat lover. Might infringe on Suess though.