Monday Midday Links: Publishers Weekly’s big piece on romance

• The Thrill of it All by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • The Forever Summer by Suzanne Macpherson * $1.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • An Unlikely Governess by Karen Ranney * $1.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Nip, Tuck, Dead (Pauline Sokol) by Lori Avocato * $1.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • I Kissed an Earl: Pennyroyal Green Series by Julie Anne Long * $1.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Murder on a Girls’ Night Out (Southern Sisters Mysteries) by Anne George * $1.99 * A | S
  • For Better or Hearse (An Annabelle Archer Mystery) by Laura Durham * $1.99 * A | K | K | BN | S
  • The Breakdown Lane by Jacquelyn Mitchard * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Captive by Brenda Joyce * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Heat of the Night (Dream Guardians) by Sylvia Day * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Pleasures of the Night (Dream Guardians) by Sylvia Day * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Suddenly by Barbara Delinsky * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Secrets by Brenda Joyce * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Beyond Scandal (Saint Georges) by Brenda Joyce * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Do Not Disturb by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga) by Brenda Joyce * $2.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Novels) by Deborah Crombie * $2.99 * A | K | K | BN | S
  • Whole Lotta Trouble (a humorous romantic mystery) by Stephanie Bond * $3.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Sex and the Single Vampire (The Dark Ones) by Katie MacAlister * $3.99 * A | K | BN | S
  • Glorious Angel by Johanna Lindsey * $3.99 * A | S
  • Hotter Than Wildfire: A Protector’s Novel: Delta Force (Protectors Novel: Delta Force) by Lisa Marie Rice * $3.99 * A | K | BN | S

1. Kati
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 12:04:11

Poop! The article is protected for subscribers only. I’d have liked to have read it.

2. Ridley
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 12:06:12

Kensington will launch eKensington in July

“eKensington?” What is this? 1998? That marketing department should be summarily dismissed for being lazy and out-of-touch.

3. JenM
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 12:44:22

Here’s another deal – I picked up First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones for $2.99. I was psyched since it’s been on my wishlist forever.

4. DS
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 13:28:47

I miss Anne George. I took a detour to Birmingham just to visit the statue of Vulcan that she talked about in her mysteries. Also known as Moon Over Homewood (residential area with a good view of Vulcan’s rear). One of the people at the gift shop said they had a lot of visitors who stopped because of Anne George. They should have at least stocked her books. I bought a souvenir statue of Vulcan whose head and buns bobbled.

5. Gayle
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 13:31:07

With so many authors having great success self-publishing, it makes me wonder who will be eager to endure the long wait times to publication and lower royalties with these legacy publishers’ digital lines. Yes, you have to invest some money up front when you do it yourself, but the payoff seems pretty good.

6. Mireya
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 14:52:38

@Gayle: Well, personally speaking, if I were an author still making it in the publishing world, I would try to get published by one of them. Bear in mind that these publishers now opening their digital lines have the reputation and still have the resources to actually still bother with editing. Additionally, the author does not have to deal with things such as formatting, and promotion is easier as well. Self-publishing is still a gamble for the vast majority of people that attempt to self-publish, despite the apparently increasing number of people that seem to be having a certain degree of success with it. I would try self-publication once I had made a name for myself via traditional publishing or epublishing. JMHO.

7. Evangeline Holland
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 17:47:20

@Mireya: IMO, the elephant in the room is not the editing and reputation of NY digital-first imprints, but royalty rates, DRM, geographical restrictions, and control over price, cover, and content. These imprints are a smart move, but a little reactive as opposed to proactive, and on the author end, it’s still dependent upon traditional methods of publishing.

Jun 04, 2012 @ 22:26:27

@Kati: Sorry about that. I didn’t realize that it was subscribers only or I would have noted it.

9. Mireya
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 07:29:07

@Evangeline Holland: I understand what you are saying. I am not an author nor do plan on becoming one, so my comment was based on a theoretical scenario if I decided to ever write and get anything published. Different things work for different people, and circumstances are different for everyone. All this being said, if I were a noob at writing, I would still do my best in trying to get my foot in, so to speak, even if that means sacrificing a few things during the early stages of my “plan”. Again, just expressing random thoughts out loud and playing with the “what ifs”, as I don’t plan on becoming an author. :D

10. Evangeline Holland
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 15:19:57

@Mireya: Oh definitely. However, what makes me curiouser and curiouser is how these digital-first imprints will impact RWA policy and perception of e-publishing and what constitutes a “real” writer. What about editor pitch sessions and contests–will it be frowned upon for editors to solicit submissions for the digital line over the print line?