Monday Midday Links and Deals: Penny Jordan Has Passed Away

News

Penny JordanPenny Jordan has passed away at the age of 65.  She had been very ill with cancer.  Jordan published over 188 books beginning with her first one in 1981, discovered from the slush pile at Mills & Boon.  I’ve enjoyed many a Penny Jordan book.  I wish her family well. Source: Harlequin

*******

Publishing Trends says that 2012 will be the year of collaboration. The article actually highlights how POD is changing the inventory systems for the print component of publishing houses, particularly backlists or slow moving books.

*******

Read in a Single Setting has a collage of YA covers which depict essentially the same thing: young girls in a pretty dress looking oppressed.  I guess that is a step up from the romance novels where the girl is at the feet of a gigantic Fabio.

*******

Deals

The Dukes are still on sale as are many of the Sourcebooks titles in this post.  Kobo deals include $1 off using KOBODOLLAROFF promo code. Harlequin codes include  SAVE5DOLLARS  promo code for $5 off $15; SAVE10AFFO on print books; and 10% off ebook order at Carina with promo code CARINAEXTRATEN.  Allromance is discounting Ellora’s Cave books.  You purchase an EC book and ARE gives you 50% rebate.  If you haven’t picked up Liberating Lacey by Anne Calhoun, this is a good time to try her out.

• The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter * 0.99 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * New deal
  • Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley * 1.99 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * Daily deal
  • Pricks and Pragmatism by J L Merrow * 0 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * Freebie from Samhain
  • Thrill of It All by Christie Ridgeway * 2.99 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * Backlist republication
  • Catriona by Jeanette Baker * 0.99 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * price reduction
  • Wicked By Any Other Name by Linda Wisdom * 0.99 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * price reduction
  • Wild Highland Magic by Kendra Castle * 0.99 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * price reduction
  • Duke to Die For by Amelia Grey * 1.79 * A | BN | K | S | HQN | S * new from Sourcebooks, probably to participate in the “Dukes on Sale” promotion

1. Beverley Kendall
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 11:18:19

I’m soooooo sad about Penny Jordan. I have about 2 decades of her books in my closet. She was one of my favourite category authors. She will be missed.

2. Eileen
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 11:49:57

I too feel really sad about Penny Jordan. She was one of my favorite authors, and I have just about all of her books.

3. Julie
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 11:57:22

Such sad news about Penny Jordan. I’ve read and loved her books for years. Romances, Regencies, family sagas, historicals, women’s fiction – she’s a writer who could do it all and do it brilliantly. She will be much missed by readers all over the world. Thank you for the many hours of pleasure your books have given me, Penny. Rest in Peace.

4. Lil
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 13:10:30

You know, I really should start sending thank you notes to my favorite authors while they are still alive. So many people have given me so much pleasure over the years, and every time I see a notice that one of them has died, I realize that another opportunity to thank someone has been lost. Maybe my New Year’s resolution should be to start writing those notes..

5. Ilona
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 13:34:09

I am so sad that Penny is no longer with us. My condolences to all her family and friends.

6. Dani Alexander
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 13:34:56

=( Penny. You’ll be missed. She was my first Harlequin. A writer to be missed. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

7. Ilona
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 13:35:12

I am sad that Penny is no longer with us. My condolences to her family and friends.

8. Janine
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 15:01:14

I remember enjoying a lot of Penny Jordan’s books in the 1980s and 1990s and will always remember them fondly. Condolences to her loved ones.

9. MarieC
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 16:39:37

So sad about Penny Jordan. She was one of my first Harlequin authors. Condolences to her loved ones.

10. Stephanie @ Read in a Single Sitting
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:00:44

Very sad to hear the news about Penny Jordan.

11. SH
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:07:23

I’ve never read a Penny Jordan book, but I do know she was very well-loved in the romance community. I was surprised to hear of her death.

The YA covers – I must admit – are often nice to look at. I have no problem with a beautiful cover, but believe many of the books they are for have nothing to do with the pretty dress on the front! I’m not so concerned about the perceived submission of the women (I don’t equate femininity with evil, as some YA readers seem to do) as I am with the way the publishing industry makes more and more of the same in order to cash in on the success of one or two books.
    That said, if there’s another copy of pathetic Twilight Bella on the pages, I’m not buying the book no matter the cover!

12. Tabitha
    Jan 02, 2012 @ 21:58:50

I’m so sad to hear about Penny Jordan. She was one of the authors I read when starting out on category romance books.

ETA: the link to Liberating Lacey links to a different book, Claustrophobic Christmas by Ellie Marvel, instead.

13. Bronte
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 01:46:18

Condolances to Penny Jordan’s family. She and Lynne Graham were the first romance authors I ever read. I think A Savage Adoration might have actually been the first.

14. Sally
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 06:50:17

Penny Jordan has an extra special place in my heart. Her book was the first romance novel I finished reading. I have fond memories of the many hours I spent reading her books. Hearing about her passing has made me very sad.

15. lijakaca
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 09:44:27

That’s sad to hear about Penny Jordan, I knew her name from being one of the first and most popular Harlequin authors to be translated and adapted into comic format for the Japanese market – I think I should try some of her original novels.

16. cyclops8
    Jan 03, 2012 @ 16:36:01

Condolences to Penny’s family. I’ve never read any of Penny’s books, but I will definitely check them out.

17. Barbra
    Jan 05, 2012 @ 05:30:09

So sad to hear of Penny’s passing, I always looked out for her books each month as the new ones hit the stores, she gave me many many years of great reading, you will be sorely missed.
    RIP Penny & thank you.

18. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity for a new year
    Jan 06, 2012 @ 19:26:01

[...] and publishing news from Dear [...]

19. Joanna K.
    Jan 06, 2012 @ 23:46:42

Very sad about Penny Jordan’s passing. :( Another great author gone. My condolences to her loved ones.