Memorial Day Links (and Deals): A LipDub Proposal, Ways to Donate...

I saw this video on the front page of Reddit on Friday and shared it on Twitter. It’s such a lovely and romantic video that I wanted to share it here.

I have a few deals that you might be interested in and a recommendation.

• From Two Rivers: Part 1 of Eye of the World by Robert Jordan * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • On the Eighth Day She Rested by J.D. Mason * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Wake Up Dead by Roger Smith * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Shadow Grail: Legacies by Mercedes Lackey * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Beyond the Night with Bonus Material by Joss Ware * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Hereafter with Bonus Material (Bride Stripped Bare) by Tara Hudson * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Starcrossed with Bonus Material by Josephine Angelini * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Withering Tights with Bonus Material by Louise Rennison * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Size 12 Is Not Fat with Bonus Material by Meg Cabot * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Nocturne with Bonus Material by Deborah Crombie * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Missing with Bonus Material: The Secrets of Crittenden County, Book One by Shelley Shepard Gray by Shelley Shepard Gray * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • A Bitter Truth with Bonus Material by Charles Todd * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Queen of Babble with Bonus Material by Meg Cabot * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • A Winter Scandal by Candace Camp * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S

So my recommendation is a book by Tammara Webber. Over the weekend, I asked for recommendations for a college set book. It was the one thing I liked about Beautiful Disaster. Author Julie Cross came through with a recommendation for Easy by Tammara Webber (AMZ | BN). It was thoroughly enjoyable and the hero is really amazing but that’s not the book I’m recommending (well, it is a book I would recommend). Instead, I’m recommending “Good For You”. It’s the third in a trilogy but I think it stands alone. You certainly miss two books of assholic behavior of the male protagonist Reid, but his personality is portrayed fully in Good for You. Reid is a guy who has slept around a lot. Sex to him is meaningless. He even says this to the female protagonist at one point – that she is making too much of the act itself. To Dori, though, sex is a weighted act and one that she doesn’t give into easily. The characters are 18 and 19 but they read both younger and older.  I never thought I would enjoy a book about a dilettante movie star and a do gooder heroine but Webber really makes both of these characters work and their emotional character arcs were moving.The book surprised me and as willaful noted about Ruthie Knox’s About Last Night, breaks the rules in many ways.  (BN | AMZ)

1. Molly O'Keefe
    May 28, 2012 @ 11:07:07

That video was SPECTACULAR!

2. Susanna Kearsley
    May 28, 2012 @ 11:18:53

Every idiot who thinks romance novels are unrealistic fantasy should be made to watch that video.

Real life is a thousand times more fantastic and beautiful than anything we writers can create upon the page.

I hope that couple (and their awesome family and friends, who have now made me cry) have the very best and happiest of endings with each other.

3. Elise Logan
    May 28, 2012 @ 11:43:29

I love this video. Hickepedia linked me to it Friday and it just made me happy. That’s a proposal that shows a level of commitment and sheer awesome that can’t help but make you smile.

4. Annemarie
    May 28, 2012 @ 11:54:14

Very nice. For $0.99 my Kindle-less self can read Withering Tights (which has been on my wish list forever) on my iPhone. Great compilation as usual.

5. Tabs
    May 28, 2012 @ 11:55:27

I did a pretty good job of holding myself together while watching that video until the point where they brought the computers with family members who couldn’t be there in person skyping their contributions. The floodgates. They did open.

Such s sincere and thoughtful and romantic propsal.

6. Eliza Evans
    May 28, 2012 @ 12:23:41

I read somewhere (reddit, maybe?) that the bride and groom and some of their friends are part of the Portland, OR theater community, which explains why everyone was so good!

When I showed my husband the video, he just went ‘Huh. They sure do know a lot of people.’ Which was exactly the thought I’d had when I first watched it! See, we can find romance anywhere if we really look for it.

7. Elyssa
    May 28, 2012 @ 12:36:44

Eveery time I watch that video it makes me so happy. It’s so incredibly sweet and charming, and I hope that couple has a fab HEA.

I’m reading Easy now and am absolutely loving it. I’m going to buy the movie star trilogy since I really like her voice.

8. Janine
    May 28, 2012 @ 13:00:01

That video made me cry — like people do at weddings. Most romantic video proposal yet.

9. azteclady
    May 28, 2012 @ 13:05:43

I cried watching it the first time, but then I realized there’s the little window to see her reactions on the top right…and oh man, watching it again, focusing on her reactions…

And there were tissues right there on her right, did you see that?

As Susanna Kearsley said, they have awesome family and friends, may they have an awesome HEA!

10. cleo
    May 28, 2012 @ 14:19:09

I’m not a big fan of public proposals, but that was really sweet and made me choke up.

11. lucy
    May 28, 2012 @ 17:08:29

I went to check two books, both from Random House, in amazon and both are more expensive than the print version and have the set by publisher price. I went and checked BN and Random House’s website and they have both books with a cheaper price. Is RH trying to punish amazon or something?

12. Darlynne
    May 28, 2012 @ 19:00:16

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake is a terrific YA ghost story and the sequel is due fairly soon. It is dark and rather brutal, but completely understandable in the world the author created.

13. SonomaLass
    May 28, 2012 @ 19:53:26

I’m excited to see A Bad Day for Pretty so affordable! I loved the first book in the series, but at $9.99 for digital, I got it from the library and just haven’t gotten around to reading the books after it. This one’s going on holiday with me.

Thanks, Jane, for these links!

May 28, 2012 @ 19:55:09

@Darlynne – I bought Anna Dressed in Blood as well. Jia said it was terrific and I’ve heard the second book is even better.

May 28, 2012 @ 19:55:49

@lucy – My guess is that Amazon hasn’t made the price changes yet?

16. becca
    May 28, 2012 @ 20:32:33

@lucy: Which book titles?