Long Time Harlequin Author Dies

anne-weale.jpgMichelle Styles sent me an email to let us know that long time Harlequin author Anne Weale died suddenly late last month. Her first novel for Mills and Boon was published in 1955 (Winter is Past), and her last in 2002 (The Man from Madrid) with 87 others in between. She started her career in journalism and eventually turned towards writing romance when she decided to start a family. She was a strong advocate for professionalism in the world of romance writing (something we’ve blogged about many times here at DA) and was one of the founding members of the Romantic Novelists Association when it was formed in 1960. She continued to be active in the RNA up to the time of her death. She certainly was legendary in British publishing with a reputation of being very outspoken with definite views. DA extends our condolences to her family, friendswinter-is-past.jpg man-from-madrid.jpgand associates.

Another long time reader who read romance novels in her teens, then took a long break before started back again about 15 years ago. She enjoys historical romance/fiction best, likes contemporaries, action- adventure and mysteries, will read suspense if there's no TSTL characters and is currently reading very few paranormals.

1. Janine
    Nov 02, 2007 @ 09:39:50

My condolences to Ms. Weale’s loved ones.

What a long career she had! I’ve certainly heard of Anne Weale, but I don’t believe I’ve ever read one. Does anyone have a good one to recommend?

2. Kay Webb Harrison
    Nov 02, 2007 @ 10:17:06

I have read quite a few of Weale’s books, especially in the Harlequin Presents line. Two of my favorites are Portrait of Bethany (541) and its sequel, Girl in a Golden Bed (1013). Several of her stories are set on tropical islands and/or feature sailing.

3. Janine
    Nov 02, 2007 @ 16:49:42

Thanks, Kay. Are those titles Presents books, then? What years were they published? The numbers seem far apart for connected books.

4. Charlene Teglia
    Nov 02, 2007 @ 18:55:23

Oh, no. I read so many of her Presents. I’m so sad to hear that she’s gone, although I’m grateful for the wonderful body of work she left behind.

5. Gennita Low
    Nov 02, 2007 @ 19:17:45

She was one of the first Mills and Boons authors I read way back when. Wow, 1955! That’s an awesome writing career. My condolences to Ms. Weale’s family.

6. Kay Webb Harrison
    Nov 03, 2007 @ 12:22:07

Yes, they are Harlequin Presents: 541 is from Oct.’82 and 1013 from Sept. (or Jul.) ’87. She also had several Harlequin Romances, but not as many as Presents. She had at least two single title books: Antigua Kiss (Worldwide, 1982) and Summer’s Awakening (1984).

7. Lynn Matherly
    Nov 03, 2007 @ 17:30:28

I enjoyed her books from the time I discovered HQ Presents in the late 70’s. She will be missed.

8. FUMI
    Feb 28, 2008 @ 00:30:14

My condolences to Ms. Weale's family.
    She is my favorite writer. I’m very sad to hear that.
    I recommend Bed of Roses, Now or Never.