Kensington Editor Leaves, Aphrodisia Cut in Half

Hilary Sares, a Senior Editor for Kensington, has left.   Sares acquired books for Aphrodisia, Brava, and Zebra; but was primarily responsible for the Aphrodisia line.  Whether this is a voluntary separation or a layoff is unknown.   Her main line, Aphrodisia, is being cut in half  .   Note: Jessica Faust, the blogger-agent at Book Ends blog, has since removed this statement.

In good news, Kensington is close to completing its move to a new location which means lower costs and better services for the publishing house.

1. Jinni Black
    Feb 03, 2009 @ 11:07:10

That’s quite shocking. She has acquired a great number of new authors and is quite well known in the industry. It’ll be interesting to see if she pops up elsewhere.

2. Caridad Pineiro
    Feb 03, 2009 @ 15:16:39

Worked with Hilary years ago when I was with the Encanto line which was eventually cut. She was a pleasure to work with and I hope she turns up at another house!

3. Jackie Barbosa
    Feb 03, 2009 @ 15:24:08

Most everything I’ve heard is second or third-hand, but as an Aphrodisia author (though not one of Hilary’s), it looks to me as though her separation from Kensington was voluntary and everything seems to suggest she will still be involved in the industry.

The Aphrodisia line cut is troubling to those of us (aka me, lol) with option book proposals sitting on their editors’ desks, but it is worth noting that they are also revamping the covers and making other investments into the line at the same time, which suggests they are simply keeping in tune with the current state of the market.

4. Anion
    Feb 04, 2009 @ 03:11:07

It’s a little troubling but not really surprising. Quite a few of us have been expecting this, as erotic romance peaked and started to level off. Not that it doesn’t still sell or there is no market for hot romances, but I think romances in general have gotten hotter and the straight erorom lines are slowing and have been for a little while now. Everything is cyclical.

Never worked with or had any dealings with Hilary Sares but certainly wish her the best.

5. Donna Velleman
    Feb 05, 2009 @ 09:20:20

I was a newbie when I met Hilary at the LIRW Luncheon two years ago. I had nothing to pitch but she stilll took the time to talk to me. She made me feel comfortable and special.
    I finally finished a ms. and it was suggested, by a published author, that I should submit it to her. Oh well, that’s the way of the business. Timing is everything.
    I wish her the best wherever she goes and with everything she does. She’s a really nice lady.

6. Christa Bedwin
    Dec 21, 2013 @ 08:21:59

So, it’s some years later and I am still wondering what happened to Hilary. Does anyone know? I miss her.

Christa