Is the Kindle Ruining Cultural Snobbishness?

According to the New York Times, individuals can no longer display their eruditeness by the cover of the book they pretend to read on the subway if the Kindle takes over. The Kindle or Sony is discreet and anonymous with only the reader knowing exactly what she is reading. Because of this, people can no longer make snap judgments about whether the reader is worth knowing based on the book jacket. This is a cause for concern, I guess.

1. Nadia Lee
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 07:35:41

Maybe they can get a fake cover that looks uber-important for Kindle?

2. Shiloh Walker
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 07:46:11

oh, how terrible. snort.

3. DS
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 07:47:36

I was thinking about buying a very handsome leather ones with a celtic knot design. I wonder about boutique covers with replaceable paper inserts. The publisher could give the eBook purchaser the opportunity to download a copy of the cover so the reader can keep his or her lit cred. Of course the reader could be reading anything at all inside the cover.

4. DT
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 07:54:30

And people not being able to judge me based on the cover of the book I’m reading is bad how? :)
    I know I’m tired of people looking at a book cover and assuming that…

1. I’m dumb because I’m reading a romance
    2. I somehow don’t know any better
    3. I just need to be more informed and read what they feel is “enlightening and will improve my mind”

It’s kind of funny when they don’t take the time to find out that I’m university student completing my third year of a nursing degree and am on the Dean’s list.

5. Shannon Stacey
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 08:08:33

Now people won’t know I’m a frustrated housewife with one glance? Damn. Maybe I can get a t-shirt.

And how am I going to know who to be impressed by? Sad, really.

6. Jessica
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 08:19:31

Far from it! It allows snobs to hide their lowbrow reading tastes from the strangers whose approval they seek. ;)

7. Beau
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 11:58:00

Snort.

Yeah, and I’m OK with that.

8. Phyllis
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 12:06:29

It’s not enough that your Kindle says, “I dropped $300 bucks on this thing and if it I drop it, I’m screwed for $300, plus the full price of the books that I will never have a chance to re-read.”

That’s pretty erudite, IMHO.

9. Gemma
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 12:17:57

I can’t afford an ebook reader. So people can look at the covers of the books I read, and not just sneer at the mantitty, but also look down on my impoverishment! ;)

10. Daphne
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 12:56:47

I actually like seeing what people are reading on the subway, so from an observational/voyeuristic point of view, it’s a bummer.

Apr 27, 2009 @ 14:04:34

@Gemma ha ha ha. so those readers who read paper romance books are double degenerates? or doubly degenerate?

12. joanne
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 14:15:08

A new business for an entrepreneur?
    Disposable stickers for your Kindle or Sony with pictures and titles like:

Dickens, The Complete Works, Ha-Ha
    or
    Tolstoy, With A Forward By Nora Roberts
    or
    Fu@k Off Tree Killer
    or
    What Do You Care What I’m Reading?
    or maybe
    Not Sharing The Man-Titty Picture

13. Sin
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 14:55:37

Japan sells paper book covers with whatever book you buy for this very reason. You can be a mild-mannered businessman sitting on the subway and nobody will ever know you’re reading housewife romance manga.

It’s not really that much of a deal.

14. Nadia Lee
    Apr 27, 2009 @ 21:24:04

@Sin: Actually they don’t sell the plain paper book covers. They are free if you ask when you pay for books. Wrapping is considered saabisu.

15. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Keep on bookin’
    Apr 29, 2009 @ 02:01:11