Is Pubit! Stripping Samples of Erotic Romances?

An author who is using PubIt** has reported that books with erotic romance in them are being stripped of their samples. Sampling is an important selling tool. Another author reported that her sales have dropped nearly 10 fold without the sample. On the PubIt! site, here is what it says about Samples:

Samples:

Barnes & Noble customers have the option to try before they buy. For all PubIt! eBooks, interested customers will be able to download up to 5% of the eBook to their NOOK or to their computing or mobile device enabled with free NOOK eReading software. From the sample, it is easy for customers to buy the full eBook and download it in seconds.

And it’s not that the Terms of Agreement don’t allow BN to remove samples:

F. Marketing. We will have sole discretion in determining all marketing and promotions related to the sale of your eBooks through the Service. Barnes & Noble shall make each eBook available for online sale and downloads in one or more formats. Prior to general commercial distribution, Barnes & Noble may distribute or cause to be distributed free of charge to some employees of Barnes & Noble copies of each eBook in any format for purposes of testing the electronic distribution of such eBooks in such format. Barnes & Noble reserves the right to distribute and display via download all front matter of an eBook and up to five percent (5%) of an eBook’s content (nonexclusive of an eBook’s front matter) free as a sampler. Barnes & Noble will not owe you any fees for any marketing efforts.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT BARNES & NOBLE HAS NO OBLIGATION TO MARKET, DISTRIBUTE, OR OFFER FOR SALE ANY EBOOK OR PART THEREOF, OR TO CONTINUING MARKETING, DISTRIBUTING OR SELLING AN EBOOK AFTER WE HAVE COMMENCED DOING SO.

Of the erotic romance titles released through PubIt, none have samples available whereas books distributed through a third party (such as a publisher or smashwords, does have samples.

Carnal Secrets is not an erotic romance but rather a contemporary as opposed to Destiny Entwined that is an erotic romance.

Authors have reported that phone calls and emails to customer service have gone unanswered. As one author noted to me:

Lots of questions: Is it just a glitch (they’ve had other problems and growing pains during the past couple of months with various things that have eventually been fixed) or is this something they’ve done to specifically target erotica? (And if so, why only the PubIt folks?) What’s really behind this? Did they get complaints from users about the erotic content on the Nook and this was their knee jerk reaction? Is this their way of trying to say that they’re protecting minors? And if so, again, why only PubIt books?

There are also some reports that high selling erotic romance PubIt! novels are not appearing on the bestseller list (much like what happens in the iBookstore).   I’ve contacted BN as well. Any self pubbed authors want to speak to this?

** We are actually giving away a NookColor in conjunction with talking about Vintage Romances at PubIt! this Sunday and despite this turn of events, we still plan to go ahead with the post.

1. Mike Cane
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 09:45:08

One more reason why NONE of these eBookstores can be trusted, period. Not Amazon, not Apple, not B&N, none. Instead of freeing writers, they are trapping and then sabotaging them! When they aren’t outright *banning* them!

2. SomeLIHBooks
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 09:46:18

I just tried to look up all the books you have listed here on my android and the sample button is there for the following:

Carnal Secrets
    Colter’s Daughter

and I went ahead and downloaded them onto my phone (Except for the Sylvia Day that one I had already downloaded). The only one that didn’t have a sample button was Destiny Entwined, which is still a problem, but could that be because the story is not very long?

3. S.L. Armstrong
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 09:46:46

Yep, B&N did strip all sample ability from every one of our titles uploaded via PubIt!. Then again, IMO, PubIt! has been a pain in the ass since it opened. Problem after problem, and I will say our sales have dropped to 0 since the sample ability was removed, and we were selling well until it happened. I had wondered what caused it, but B&N never replies to support questions or complaints, so I’ve just chalked it up to another annoying issue with PubIt!, which may be the final nail in the coffin for us with it and we’ll go back to distributing through Smashwords (which I don’t personally like doing, but…).

Mar 03, 2011 @ 09:51:38

@SomeLIHBooks: Colter’s Daughter is published through Samhain and thus does not have the Sample removed and Carnal Secrets, despite the title is not an erotic romance but a contemporary (it might be categorized as such). It is the titles that are pushed through PubIt! that are being affected.

5. Has
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 09:55:35

Somewhere in Seattle there is an exec or two are chuckling at this because its not an #amazonfail for once.

But seriously – Pubit are suppose to be the self publishing arm for B&N and they do this.

6. Nadia Lee
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:04:14

Oh holy cow. I didn’t expect to see two of my titles here.

In case anybody wants to know more detail — B&N never allowed Destiny Entwined to be sampled after it went on sale on February 14 even though A Happily Ever After of Her Own and Carnal Secrets were sample-able. I just assumed it was because Destiny Entwined is a short story. (A Happily Ever After of Her Own is a novella & Carnal Secrets is a novel.) I had no idea it was something else.

7. Julie C.
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:04:33

I checked mine last night and only two of my seven erotic romance titles published through Pub It have had their samples removed.

At first I thought it was the contemporary erotics that had been yanked and the paranormals left alone but I still have one contemp with a sample available.

I even double checked the categories and all are included in erotica.

That leaves me with not a clue on their logic and me holding my breath hoping they leave the rest of mine alone.

8. SomeLIHBooks
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:15:39

I just called BN and what I was told is that they would be contacting the author to get a sample to put up on the site. They seemed to blame the author for not “providing a sample” which I think is BS.

I hate canned answers.

I used the S.L. Armstrong books in my call. (love the covers by the way).

9. Nadia Lee
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:23:19

@SomeLIHBooks:

You are right. It is BS.

When you upload your book directly to PubIt, there’s no place for you to “provide a sample”. You enter the title, author name, territory, DRM, copyright info, blurb, keywords and genre. Then you upload the cover image and the file containing the entire book. That’s it.

10. S.L. Armstrong
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:26:25

@SomeLIHBooks: Thank you! We’re very proud of our covers and our content. :)

I contacted them myself with no response, and I even double checked just now if there was a place I somehow missed to enable sampling. Nope. There’s nothing. Since samples WERE available in December and January but not February or March, I know it’s not our fault but B&N’s.

11. Amanda Brice
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:27:08

I don’t write or read erotic, but this is still very troubling to me. If B&N wants to remove sampling from erotic content or to develop some kind of age verification system, that’s fine, but it should be applied across the board. Not just for self-published titles, but for traditionally published ones as well.

Likewise, why just adult content? Why not graphic violence or horror, both of which could be equally troubling to minors, if protecting minors is the reason why they’re doing this.

12. Likari (LK Rigel)
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:38:50

My paranormals through Pubit still have samples, but the erotica I write under a pen name have had all the samples stripped.

13. Minx Malone
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:38:52

This is definitely only affecting Pubit books. My book Beg For It (Ellora’s Cave) still has the free sample, which contains an erotic dream sequence. So if they’re claiming it was done to all of the erotic titles, that’s not true.

My other book Hellbaby also has the free sample still available.

14. Minx Malone
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:41:38

My other book Hellbaby also has the free sample still available. I have a few titles I was planning to put up through Pubit soon but maybe I shouldn’t bother!

15. Gretchen Galway
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:51:38

My contemporary novella, Quick Study, was also stripped (or “stripper” like post title) of its free sample a couple days ago. This seems to be affecting many self-published romances, not just erotica. Writers have been trying to compare what works are affected and it is not entirely consistent.

When you upload your story to PubIt (Barnes & Noble) you have a chance to edit some metadata. One of those fields is for target age of reader (teen, mature, etc.), one is for the categories you want it filed under.

My story is a light romantic comedy with lots of sex, so I thought, what the heck, Erotica? Check. If there had been fields for California love story, elderly lesbian roommates, computergeek/feminist trope, or sex on a weight bench, I would have checked those too.

Unfortunately, one of those little keywords triggered a new censorbot. Don’t know which. Some writers have had their paranormal stories’ samples blocked. Doesn’t seem to be the cover or the title.

When talking to other self-pubbed writers, unfortunately there is a certain Don’tSullyUsWIthYourSexytimeTrash attitude, or a “you should censor yourself, now they’ll come after us” tone. “If we don’t police ourselves, they’ll do it for us.”

Well, hooey. This is just the usual anti-romance attitude. I hope readers (and I am one, with a Kindle and a Sony) can reach BN, since they aren’t listening to us writers.

Personally, my sales came to a complete halt without the sample. I’m an unknown, but even though it’s only 99 cents, your time is worth more than that.

I really hope they come up with a mature-content-OK filter or some other compromise, both as a reader and a writer.

16. Jill Myles
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 10:52:33

I have three books that are loaded through Smashwords and have samples. I have three books through my NY publisher. All have samples. I have two books that went through PubIt, and both have the samples removed.

All of mine are not explicit in the first 5% of the book and are all classified as paranormal romance. None of mine are tagged with erotica/erotic romance, so I’m curious as to how this shakes out.

17. Ellen Fisher
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:04:15

All my PubIt erotic romances (under a different name) have had the samples stripped, and oddly one of my romances has had it removed too, even though it’s no different from the other two romances that kept their sample (and none of those are erotic).

Re the point about the bestseller list– it’s much harder to see now, since all the erotic romance has dropped badly in ranking since the samples were stripped. But if you go here, you’ll see the “Current PubIt Bestsellers” on the right of the page:

Go to this page:

and you’ll see that the book actually ranked at #10 is not on the list, and is passed over in favor of a nonerotic romance. This was a lot more obvious when this all started– most notably, Belle Andre’s book GAME FOR LOVE was ranked at something like #27 in the whole Nookbook store, and yet was not on the front page PubIt list at all. This means that any reader looking casually at the “current PubIt bestsellers” wouldn’t see erotica titles listed, even if they deserved to be there rankingswise.

18. Annabel
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:08:11

All my traditionally pubbed erotic romances still have samples, and all my self-pubs have been stripped.

My Nook sales are so much lower than my Amazon sales that I don’t really care but seriously, they do not have it together.

They sent some weird email a couple days ago about paying me two months of royalties now as a “gift”, and that I wouldn’t get royalties in April because of it, or some such nonsense. My take is that there is some mess up in the accounting area and this is how they’re spinning it. LOL. The publishing industry has become the Wild West.

Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:08:18

@Gretchen Galway Clearly my mind was set on naughty when writing the title

20. Ellen Fisher
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:14:47

“They sent some weird email a couple days ago about paying me two months of royalties now as a “gift”, and that I wouldn't get royalties in April because of it, or some such nonsense. My take is that there is some mess up in the accounting area and this is how they're spinning it. LOL.”

Hee. Yes, they indicated this was to repay us for our patience with their accounting screwups during the holiday season, but I do suspect it had something to do with not wanting to pay out as much in the second quarter. Why, I don’t know, but I don’t believe for a second it’s B&N showing us gratitude:-).

“My Nook sales are so much lower than my Amazon sales that I don't really care but seriously, they do not have it together.”

My Nook sales have been absolutely amazing– recently far outstripping my Amazon sales– and until this happened, I was a big fan of PubIt despite the accounting screwups. To me, the weirdest thing about this is that they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot. Erotica and erotic romances have clearly been one of their best-selling categories for PubIt books.

But as I’ve said elsewhere, I think our own success has probably come back to bite us in the rump. When there are so many erotica books in the top ten or twenty PubIt books, then some people are bound to get offended. And since you can click to report “inappropriate content” on PubIt books (which you can’t for other publishers), it’s easy for a few angry and self-righteous readers to click on a long list of erotica books, and thus cause B&N to start panicking.

21. Joy
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:20:15

Is this affecting any other categories than erotica/erotic romance?

Side Note: There used to be excerpts from the erotica show up as part of the B&N summary/notes which I thought was kind of over the top, as these bits ended up perpetuating into other sites (like booksfornooks, a lending site) and triggering my work net nanny. Here’s an example–appears to be PubIt: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Under-Mr-Nolans-Bed/Selena-Kitt/e/9781609820220/?itm=4&USRI=selena+kitt

I don’t suggest this as a workaround.

22. Ellen Fisher
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:25:59

“There used to be excerpts from the erotica show up as part of the B&N summary/notes which I thought was kind of over the top, as these bits ended up perpetuating into other sites (like booksfornooks, a lending site) and triggering my work net nanny.”

Unfortunately, adding excerpts to the book descriptions seems to be our only option right now (because readers are not going to buy a book if they can’t sample the writing, and I don’t blame them– I wouldn’t either). I added a brief excerpt to all my descriptions, which seemed to stop my sales from hemorrhaging any worse than they already had. However, I was careful not to use excerpts with anything explicit, or any rude words. It seems likely that anything explicit might just get the description pulled, or worse, the whole book.

23. Selena Kitt
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:32:28

All of Excessica’s (a self-pub co-op) titles have been stripped of samples (we upload through PubIt) EXCEPT for Serial by Piers Anthony. As most of you know, Piers is also a well-established, traditionally published author. Interestingly, Bella Andre’s For Love of a Game (which was the previously #1 PubIt selling titles) wasn’t stripped of its sample. And Bella is also traditionally published elsewhere. Coincidence?

24. Heather Massey
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:54:31

I hate hearing about things like this. I hope it’s rectified soon.

And since you can click to report “inappropriate content” on PubIt books (which you can't for other publishers), it's easy for a few angry and self-righteous readers to click on a long list of erotica books, and thus cause B&N to start panicking.

That kind of thing just makes me ill, and also angry, thinking about the entertainment that I and others have lost out on over the years (or have had to go underground to obtain) because someone else thinks they know what’s best for consumers. Where’s my “appropriate content” option??

25. MeiLin Miranda
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 11:58:45

Oh for crying–they’ve done it to two of my books, too! I never even noticed. No wonder I don’t sell anything over there! I wonder if they’re doing it to those items that have the “Mature Audiences” flag on them? It’s tempting to unflag it and let the chips fall where they may. I mean, neither of my samples would have any naughty bits, anyway…

26. Heather Massey
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:01:23

Fwiw, an author (darthreader) at the Pubit! help board left a comment indicating that the samples were missing from his/her children’s books:

27. Jackie Barbosa
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:15:22

Judging by the fact that my short story (8.5k), THE REIVER, still has a sample download associated with it, I don’t think the lack of a sample is due to the length of the work. My understanding is that B&N just strips the first 5% of the word count and makes that the sample download.

Although I don’t approve of B&N’s decision here to strip the samples from books with erotica/erotic romance in the metadata, it’s not particularly a surprise to me. B&N has always been considerably more conservative than Amazon in terms of its comfort with erotic content, and a friend of mine who self-publishes her erotic romances told me that, while she will go through PubIt for non-erotic titles, she uses Smashwords for the erotic ones because she is well aware of B&N’s conservatism on this front.

For those authors who are having their excerpts stripped on PubIt titles, my advice would be to pull the book from PubIt and upload it through Smashwords instead. As far as I can tell, B&N hasn’t figured out how to strip the samples from ebooks that are coming through from other channels–yet, anyway–and you’ll only lose 5% of the royalty B&N would have paid you which, if the lack of samples is tanking your sales, isn’t a big price to pay.

I’ve been very happy with PubIt, but that’s mainly because my short story’s sales on B&N are about 5x what they are on Amazon. The story also isn’t erotic, so doesn’t seem to be in any danger of having is sample removed. Given what I know about B&N’s relationship with erotic romance/erotica, this move doesn’t surprise me at all, although it does make me more certain I will use SmashWords to publish any erotic content in the future.

28. Ellen Fisher
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:31:41

“Fwiw, an author (darthreader) at the Pubit! help board left a comment indicating that the samples were missing from his/her children's books:”

I saw that. I haven’t seen anyone else say they’ve had anything besides romance or erotica affected, however. Perhaps more data is needed.

“For those authors who are having their excerpts stripped on PubIt titles, my advice would be to pull the book from PubIt and upload it through Smashwords instead.”

The problem is that the general consensus seems to be that books on B&N sell far, far better through PubIt than through Smashwords. I can’t tell you why this might be, though.

29. Mica Jade
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:31:50

My erotic romance novella, Love’s Rise, went live on PubIt on Monday night without a download sample button nor a cover image. I thought it might be an upload glitch until Tina Folsom’s thread in the PubIt Community board asking if it was occurring to anyone else. On Tuesday I changed the age group of the book from “Mature Audiences” to “General Adult” and sent PubIt support the following email:

Hi … thank you for uploading my recent book, Love’s Rise (EAN: 2940012205322). However, the cover image is not showing on the product page. Also, the sample download button is not showing either. Please let me know if I can help with getting this resolved. I would hate for a customer to buy my book without the cover image or the ability to sample the book prior to purchase. Thank you for the opportunity to partner with PubIt. Take care. Mica Jade

Within 3 hours both the cover image AND the sample download were live on my product page and still remain live: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Loves-Rise/Mica-Jade/e/2940012205322/?itm=1&USRI=mica+jade

I’m not sure if the email or changing the age group to “General Audiences” is what helped – maybe both, maybe neither. Whatever the case, it has been beyond frustrating for too many of us.

Mica Jade

30. Joy
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:32:30

@Ellen Fisher: It seems likely that anything explicit might just get the description pulled, or worse, the whole book.

Yeah. I mean, I’m not a prude but my little kids now read nook books, y’know?

31. S.L. Armstrong
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:48:46

I’ve removed the ‘Mature Audiences’ category from one of mine to see if this will fix the sampling issue. Problem is, I won’t know for 48-72 hours.

I resist publishing through Smashwords because, honestly, sales are terrible through them and the ebook people receive is not nearly as nice as a true ePub from us. What Smashword distributes is just the bare bones, really, and I would prefer readers receive a nice, stylish ePub for the money they’re spending.

If I’m left no other choice BUT Smashwords, I will utilize them because a few sales are better than none. Still, I’m disappointed to be put into this position at all. I still await any response from B&N, but I’m not holding my breath.

32. Kerry Allen
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:49:09

@Joy “I mean, I'm not a prude but my little kids now read nook books, y'know?”

If only there was some way for B&N to separate the children’s books from the erotica. It’s too bad they’re all mashed up together that way.

O_o

33. Jackie Barbosa
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:49:24

@Ellen Fisher:

The problem is that the general consensus seems to be that books on B&N sell far, far better through PubIt than through Smashwords. I can't tell you why this might be, though.

Probably because B&N prejudices their listing toward titles pubbed through their service, not other services. However, if your sales are virtually non-existent without the sample, it’s hard to see how they could be significantly worse.

34. Kerry Allen
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 12:59:34

My Smashwords-to-B&N sales have always been at least equal to my Amazon sales, in some months better.

Are Smashwords files pretty? No. Are they readable? Yes.

Besides, there’s a rumor going around that Smashwords is working on an option to circumvent the meatgrinder and upload your own formatted files. I’d rather bide my time with Smashwords until their pretty formats come into being than be one of PubIt’s guinea pigs. That dodgy payment scheme really sets off alarm bells.

35. Ellen Fisher
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 13:17:54

“However, if your sales are virtually non-existent without the sample, it's hard to see how they could be significantly worse.”

Well, in my case, they aren’t. I’ve lost about a hundred sales a day, it seems, but I’m still selling a lot of books. I have no reason to think I’ll do better through Smashwords.

I would hate to switch my erotic romances to “general audiences,” because they really are for mature audiences only. It annoys me that B&N seems to be penalizing us for correctly labeling our books:-P.

36. Joy
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 13:44:25

@Kerry Allen:
    If only there was some way for B&N to separate the children's books from the erotica. It's too bad they're all mashed up together that way.

They are all together in the Free Books section, though, and other non-genre screens. Which (free books) is where I primarily encounter erotica on bn.com since I don’t search for/in it.

37. Joy
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 13:45:56

Don’t get me wrong. I WANT your books to have samples. I don’t want anyone to have to resort to pushing explicit sex to the overview section in the listing.

38. Brian
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 13:50:50

Are Smashwords files pretty? No. Are they readable? Yes.

Maybe in a broad sense, but I’ve had some Smashwords files I just couldn’t read because formatting problems were too distracting. It’s too bad they won’t let an author upload their own pre-formatted files if they prefer instead of requiring everyone to use the ‘meat grinder’.

39. S. J. Reisner
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:11:05

Four of my titles were impacted by this. I have a lot of theories why they’re doing this and I think part of it is about keeping the big and/or “approved” presses happy and kicking the indies to the curb. My sales were booming when samples were available. I wondered why I dropped from over 150 sales a day down to 50 (if I’m lucky). I’ve posted samples to my website and directed readers there, but clearly readers don’t want to have to surf the web for samples.

40. Jess C Scott
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:12:51

I write in a range of genres (erotica, erotic romance, urban fantasy, young adult) — my books have been randomly missing the “sample” button on PubIt! Reply from B&N team was that they were/are “working on the issues.”

I will still always write erotic fiction, even if all the distributors ban all types of erotic fiction (like Amazon has at the moment, with “incest erotica” material).

There’s porn and there’s erotic fiction, and I understand the “legal issues” big companies in the U.S. have to face, when it comes to “literary morality.”

41. Jill Myles
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:14:43

Someone just reported that samples should be back for most (if not all). They checked their books and noticed them returning. Maybe it was a system glitch after all? Based on the filter you picked? I don’t know, but I’m happy it was resolved…but less happy about the communication efforts from B&N.

42. S. J. Reisner
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:17:21

Ah – I’ll be darned – they are returning. Perhaps it was a PubIt Erotica specific glitch. ::wink:: Hooray!

43. Tina Folsom
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:17:39

It appears that the samples just came back – they are back on all my titles. Did they hear us scream loud enough over the B&N?

Thanks Dear Author for taking up the issues.

44. Gretchen Galway
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:19:45

Yes, thank you! Erotic glitches are so often a drag for all concerned.

45. Likari (LK Rigel)
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:20:32

They’re back on my titles too. B&N is going through growing pains in front of us all.

46. Ellen Fisher
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:22:44

Yay! Thanks to all who helped and offered advice:-).

47. SomeLIHBooks
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:24:20

@S.L. Armstrong:

And here’s the BS response I got back from BN when I emailed them from my android app about not having the previews up:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding S.L. Armstrong books.

It is upon the author’s or publisher’s discretion if they want to
    include a preview of their work on our website.

Once again, thank you for your email.

Sincerely,

Annie

Customer Service Representative – Digital Support

48. Selena Kitt
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:31:03

Glitch my a$$. Like the removing of gay/lesbian rankings on Amazon a few years ago was a “glitch.”

They heard us. Now the question is… what’s next? Because they’re going to do something.

49. Likari (LK Rigel)
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:35:13

They might make the samples available only to people who are logged in, and then have the user select whether or not to include adult material. If ALL titles are subject to equal treatment, I don’t have a problem with that.

But I do think it’s crap that sex is considered too terrible for young minds to think about but mayhem is totally fine.

50. Mica Jade
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:38:08

Yea!!! So glad to hear.

51. S.L. Armstrong
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:46:05

@SomeLIHBooks: You’re completely right. An author on PubIt! does not have the ability to turn on or off sampling. B&N just takes the first 5% and throws it up there.

I don’t believe it was a glitch, but I do believe a collective outcry made them fix it ASAP. Hopefully, sales will pick up again.

I understand growing pains with new services, and I’ve tolerated A LOT of them with PubIt!, from not being paid to not having keywords to having all my titles marked as public domain REPEATEDLY until they fixed that glitch to never being included in search results (which, I know, is an ongoing issue for me and many, many others), but sampling is very important for the sale of a book, and I don’t believe for a moment that it just accidentally disappeared for a whole swath of erotic romance/erotica/romance titles and no one else.

52. S. J. Reisner
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 15:50:21

On top of the outcry from authors (and probably readers, too) I also have to wonder how much the impact to their bottom line made them re-think their choice (I don’t think it was a glitch either – I was being facetious when I called it that earlier) too. I know how much PubIt is making off of my work. Now multiply that by every PubIt author/publisher with erotica titles that are doing well. Ouch.

53. Louise
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 16:16:45

I don’t even read erotica, and I still think this is ridiculous.

54. Bella Andre
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 16:27:07

I am so glad to see all the sample buttons back up on BN! Hooray!

55. Pat
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 17:57:01

I’m sorry, but since there is no way for B&N to know the age of the people downloading the samples, I’m with B&N on this.

No name-calling, please.

56. SomeLIHBooks
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 21:35:38

@S.L. Armstrong:

Exactly because for me, the reader samples are a requirement when looking at new authors.

Of which now I’ll be able to do.

57. Nadia Lee
    Mar 03, 2011 @ 23:21:51

This is the 1st time ever people are able to sample Destiny Entwined on Nook. Not sure what happened with PubIt…it just suddenly started allowing it even though I didn’t make any changes to the product description or genre category.

58. Now You Can Sample DESTINY ENTWINED on Nook « Nadia Lee :: Romance Writer - Blog
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 09:29:24

[…] not sure how many of you saw Dear Author's post from yesterday regarding B&N PubIt stripping samples from erotic romances (the post also featured two of my books: erotic romance Destiny Entwined and contemporary romance […]

59. Kerry Allen
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 12:54:35

“I'm sorry, but since there is no way for B&N to know the age of the people downloading the samples, I'm with B&N on this.”

There just is no end to the parental responsibilities of a business, is there?

60. Motivation Monday-plus-One | Solelyfictional
    Mar 08, 2011 @ 12:11:56

[…] Evidence is beginning to pop up that Pubit!, B&N’s self-publishing service, is stripping s…. They’re perfectly within their rights to do so, under their own T&C, but if I were considering self-publishing Pubit! would not be my first choice as a result of this. […]