1. MB (Leah)
    Oct 10, 2008 @ 13:25:30

I took care of a woman 85 years old who was a virgin. Her finance died in WWII and she never met anyone else. A life without knowing the bliss of sex? That’s rather sad if you ask me.

2. Emmy
    Oct 10, 2008 @ 14:18:50

I’m all for waiting for that special someone before you get nekkid and bump uglies.

But jaysus f*ck, by…say, 40… you gotta stop waiting and start getting busy. Love at first sight only happens 100% of the time in romance books. The rest of the time, love has to develop between two dear friends with common interests.

If nothing else, get a vibe at least. Geez.

Although…note that many long lived women have neither children nor men to help their death along a lil faster. Hmmm..die fast and happy, or live long and lonely?

3. Jessica Kennedy
    Oct 10, 2008 @ 14:23:27

Wow. Good way to ensure your access to heaven?

4. veinglory
    Oct 10, 2008 @ 15:53:03

I donlt think you can say there s anything all people should do, by any age or at all. For a start a minority of people are innately asexual and have no desire to be sexually active.

5. Lori
    Oct 10, 2008 @ 17:00:55

Did it say if she ever had a girlfriend?

6. SonomaLass
    Oct 11, 2008 @ 11:05:05

Lori, my thought exactly!

7. Mouse
    Oct 11, 2008 @ 13:10:22

Um, there’s also the idea of forced celibacy too you know, veinglory, wanting to have sex, but having no partner to have it with. It happens to a lot of disabled folks. They do have sexual needs as well, but can’t find a single person willing to sleep with them.

8. Love Romance Passion
    Oct 11, 2008 @ 23:45:52

I agree with Emmy. It’s fine to wait for that special someone but at some point you have to stop placing roadblocks in front of yourself and say to someone, “let’s do it.”

Virgins in romances don’t bother me. Handled correctly it could be/can be/has been hot.

9. The Wandering Reader
    Oct 12, 2008 @ 14:21:04

I agree with LoveRomancePassion when they say that virgins, when handled correctly, can add a wonderful element to a story. However…

I am tired (oh so tired) of every virgin/loss of virginity portrayed the same way. That it ‘only hurts for an instant’ etc… or the reasons that a person keeps their virginity within a story seems so redundant.

So yes, unless a virgin is portrayed is some other way than the typical,
    no more virginal heroines.