How to Make Family Reunions Really Awkward

It's not like being estranged is enough for the brother of Mark McGwire.  He'd like to make some money off of the estrangement if possible by penning a tell all novel of McGwire's usage of steriods and performance enhancing drugs during McGwire's major league days.  I expect Jay, though, to the get the obligatory million dollar plus advance in case to hasten the downfall of publishing.

Dear Jay:
Tell us something we don't already know.
Jane

1. Jayne
    Jan 22, 2009 @ 09:57:20

I don’t think Jay ought to be looking for a big Christmas present from his brother next year.

Jan 22, 2009 @ 09:59:56

@Jayne But Jay is doing it out of love for Mark. LOVE. Because Mark needs to repent. He can’t continue to live like this, or so says Jay.

3. Jayne
    Jan 22, 2009 @ 10:51:55

And of course Jay intends to hand Mark any profits from the book. What, no?

4. Rebyj
    Jan 22, 2009 @ 11:20:05

He’s a jealous sibling cashing in on his brother’s fame. I find it disturbing that he’s bringing Jesus into the reasons. That’s just insulting to real religious people who fret about their family salvation. Yeah, writing a tell all sensational book will help. He’s more like Judas then Jesus.

NY Daily news says

Jay McGwire’s book proposal describes an idyllic childhood as the youngest of four boys in an exceptionally athletic family (another brother, Dan McGwire, was an NFL quarterback). The youngest McGwire says he stopped using steroids when he started feeling ill effects from the drugs – depression, high cholesterol, high blood pressure – and embraced religion. The McGwire brothers have had a falling-out and no longer speak to each other. Mark Mc-Gwire avoids the spotlight – he has repeatedly turned down Tony LaRussa’s invitations to attend St.Louis Cardinal training camps as a hitting instructor – but his younger brother says his story needs to be told.

“My bringing the truth to the surface about Mark is out of love,” Jay McGwire wrote. “I want Mark to live in truth to see the light, to come to repentance so he can live in freedom – which is the only way to live.”

5. Lori
    Jan 22, 2009 @ 11:45:38

Just the term tell all is a misnomer anyway. Only the person who lived it can tell all and even their perceptions/memories are clouded by self interest or personal bias.

The book will probably sell a handful of copies and never come close to earning out the advance. That’s just pathetic.

6. JulieLeto
    Jan 22, 2009 @ 12:25:02

Yet another Christian going out into the world to make the rest of us look like morons. This turns my stomach.

7. kirsten saell
    Jan 23, 2009 @ 10:38:12

Bluh.

8. Leah Hultenschmidt
    Jan 23, 2009 @ 10:50:37

According to Publishers Lunch, there’s not much editor interest period, much less for a million dollars. After the debacle of Madonna’s brother’s book, I can see how this would be a tough sell.

9. Bev Stephans
    Jan 23, 2009 @ 12:03:26

It seems that Jodie Foster’s brother wrote a tell-all book about her alleged homosexuality. Other than the initial blurb, I never heard any more about it. This looks like the same deal.

I don’t have anything to hide (or at least I don’t think so), but I sure wouldn’t want my brother to blab about my life.

10. Seressia
    Jan 23, 2009 @ 17:09:32

Isn’t Jay a few years too late on this?