1. Crystal-Rain Love
    Dec 22, 2008 @ 16:11:53

whoo-hoo! Who doesn’t love free reads?

2. Tili
    Dec 22, 2008 @ 17:07:21

Why do they want my address for the account? Are they going to send me junk mail? It’s an e-book store, so they certainly don’t need it to send me any books.

3. Rae Lori
    Dec 22, 2008 @ 17:36:14

Yes!! I was hoping they’d do it this year. :-D

4. Renee
    Dec 22, 2008 @ 19:09:47

I’m feeling sort of dense.

I have an acct with them, and buy ebooks from them (and get their newsletter emails.)

When I click on the link on your post, I can’t find where the free ebook is on the eHarlequin site. Help, please?

Dec 22, 2008 @ 19:19:23

@Renee: The free book doesn’t start until tomorrow.

6. LINDA B
    Dec 22, 2008 @ 23:29:16

KEWL BEANS!!!

7. LINDA B
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 00:00:14

FORGOT TO SAY THANKS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND GOOD LUCK!!

8. cecilia
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 09:16:56

@Tili: They do send a receipt though. I did the free ebook thing last year, and they don’t send a lot of junk mail. Once in a while (2 or 3 times in the year), they sent a coupon for a percent off the next purchase, but that might have been because I actually bought books from their store.

9. Jayne
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 09:23:11

Thanks Harlequin. I just downloaded the free book of the day from Cara Summers.

10. Renee
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 12:40:04

Doh. I guess I said I was feeling sort of dense. :-P

Thanks Jane.

11. Mireya
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 14:18:58

Can I read them using my Sony reader? Me is a n00b.

12. Tili
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 14:32:44

Wait, this is confusing. I just clicked download for the PDF version, but it’s giving me a file called “ebx.etd”. What is that and how do I open it? (My computer is a Linux machine, which may explain the problem. Unfortunately, my dad’s the one who oversees the computers in my family, so I don’t really know what to do for compatibility problems like this …)

13. Tili
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 14:36:58

Oh, never mind, looks like they have that in the Harlequin site’s FAQ. Sorry to bother everyone.

14. LINDA B
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 14:38:07

Okay, where can I find the e-book again?

15. Mireya
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 14:43:57

@Linda B: On the left hand side, under the listing of Bestsellers, you’ll see “Today’s Free Book”. Click on the image or the More Info button.

16. GrowlyCub
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 17:24:28

I just tried to download this book in .lit format but the site insists that I have to install and activate the MS ereader, which I already did in the past with a FW purchase, and won’t let me go on to download any files in the cart.

Do I really have to re-install that thing every time I try to download a .lit file from a new site?

The PDF gave me grief, too, the first time I tried. On the second attempt it worked.

I’ve said it before and I say it again. I’m convinced the eharlequin site is programmed by folks who actively want to *dis*courage people from buying from Harlequin. It’s one of the most user-unfriendly, ugly and stupidly programmed sites I’ve had to misfortune to want to visit in the 15 years of my net-citizenship.

More often than not I’ve given up on buying a book I wanted, because the site did something stupid in the middle of the transaction. It’s incredibly frustrating!

But I did get the free book for today eventually, so thanks Jane for posting the link!

17. Robin
    Dec 23, 2008 @ 17:38:21

It took me several tries to download the Adobe version (the only one I can read on my laptop), so I wonder if they’re having heavy traffic or something.