Friday News: The power of distributors; Elizabeth Peters passes away; Amazon...

One developer of an Adult Only game called Seduce Me was kicked off the STEAM platform (a cloud based library of games). The developers enjoyed a brief boost in visibility but when the noise died down so did the sales. Says the developer: “We naively believed that the unusualness of our content would make up for the lack of distribution channels and that we would succeed anyway through word-of-mouth,” she says. “We were wrong.”

Is this extensible to ebooks? Yes and no. The distribution arms of Amazon, Apple, BN are quite powerful and we’ve yet to see a true indie book breakout and by that I mean a book sold but not through using one of the main platforms. However there are other “platforms” on which to read a book.  Polygon

1. library addict
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 05:21:53

I can understand Amazon’s desire “to sell everything” but if I were a fine art collector (which I am not) I don’t think I would trust them. For that much money I would want to see it in person (along with a trusted appraiser) before plunking down my credit card. Those reviews were rather funny though.

2. Jody
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 07:27:12

R.I.P. Elizabeth Peters in all her author incarnations. Hers were the first romances I read, and Ammie, Come Home remains my all time favorite paranormal. Sad news, but what a long and prolific career!

3. Aoife
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 07:30:27

I’m so sad to hear about the death of Barbara Mertz. Her Barbara Michaels and Elizabeth Peters books are still comfort reads for me, and it makes me sad that there will be no more installments of the Vicky Bliss adventures. Over the years her books have provided many, many hours of pleasure. My sincere condolences to her family and friends.

4. kardis
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 08:19:30

Such sad news about Barbara Mertz, my condolences to her family. Her Amelia Peabody novels (which I started reading because of this site) have gotten me through some dark times lately.

5. Julie B.
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 08:53:59

I adore Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters’ books and it’s so sad that she’s passed. She will be deeply missed by readers. My thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones.

6. Christine
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 09:08:37

I am so sad about Barbara Mertz. She is the gold standard of authors for me. The way she wrote her female characters was light years ahead of everyone, particularly at the time she wrote them. I’m so thankful I got to meet her once and hear her speak. She was an amazing author and an amazing woman.

7. Andrea
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 09:52:03

I was so sorry to hear that Barbara Mertz/Peters/Michaels had died yesterday. She was my favorite writer when I was younger. I would re-read her books all the time, especially Street of Five Moons, Trojan Gold, and Night Train to Memphis. In many ways the Vicky/John romance was my gateway to romance novels. I adore a hero who is a better man (even though he may resist!) because of his love for a strong and independent heroine.

8. Ducky
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 10:25:00

RIP Barbara Mertz. I love the Amelia Peabody and Vicky Bliss books.

9. Darlynne
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 12:43:00

I read until they fell apart so many of Barbara Michaels’ and Elizabeth Peters’ books. When a number of customers showed up, coincidentally armed with old copies of The Master of Blacktower, at a bookstore where Ms. Peters was signing Amelia Peabody books, she was astonished at how many of us had held on to these books. The Jackal’s Head? Be still, my heart.

She will be missed.

10. Julie M.
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 13:07:25

Echoing the Barbara Mertz/ Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters love. I discovered “Crocodile on the Sandbank” at 16 and have enjoyed many (!) years reading her marvelous books. I encouraged my husband to read the Vicky Bliss mysteries and he enjoyed them too. She will be missed!

11. Susan
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 14:50:31

I, too, mourn the passing of Barbara Mertz. The first book of hers I read was Ammie, Come Home and it would be an understatement to say it had a lasting effect on me. I think the only other book that came as close to terrifying the young me was a volume of Poe works. I later moved on to the Bliss, Kirby, and Peabody books, not immediately realizing they were the product of the same amazing author.

I was lucky enough to briefly meet Ms. Mertz at a signing for a Peabody book. She was lovely, witty, and modestly surprised by the HUGE crowd that showed up to see her. She was a literary rock star, but in the nicest sense. She’ll most definitely be missed.

12. Melisse Aires
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 23:10:51

So sorry to hear about the passing of Elizabeth Peters. Loved all her books. Ammie Come Home gave me terrific chills as a young teen. I remember being so delighted when I figured out Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels were the same author. May have to go on a reread binge though I reread the Amelia Peabody books last year.

13. DS
    Aug 10, 2013 @ 20:20:13

The early Elizabeth Peters romantic suspense novels were my intro to the genre. I sincerely hope the publisher doesn’t try to bring in another writer to continue her Amelia Peabody series.

14. DianeN
    Aug 10, 2013 @ 20:22:27

I’m so sad to hear about Barbara Mertz’s passing. I’ve read pretty much everything she ever wrote, but I loved the Amelia Peabody series most. I tend to give up on long series, either because I lose interest or the quality of the writing suffers. Neither of those things ever happened with Amelia–the books were gorgeously written from first to last. Maybe it’s time for a memorial reread.

15. Anthea Lawson/Sharp
    Aug 10, 2013 @ 20:44:21

@Aoife:

Sorry to hear this news! She wrote some wonderful books – I love the Amelia Peabody mysteries, but *adore* the Vicky Bliss books even more. John Smythe is a FABULOUS, angsty hero. Night Train to Memphis… wow.