Friday News: iPhone 5; Athletes Reading; Sexy Buses

News was kind of sparse yesterday so I present to you this awesome advertisement.  Press [cc] in the bottom bar to get the English subtitles

1. Ann Somerville
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 05:42:43

I don’t know if you’ve heard this shocking news. YA agent and book blogger, Pam van Hylckama (http://twitter.com/BookaliciousPam) tweeted about being carjacked/attacked near her kid’s school (she wasn’t sure initially whether she or the car was the object of the attacker.) Her dog saved her and her daughter from worse, biting the attacker who then fled.

Police found a suspect with a history of abuse from her query box, went to the address he used for the query and found a man with a dog bite. The man is now in custody.

I’m so glad Pam is safe, but it really does emphathise that deranged authors aren’t just irritating, but sometimes genuinely dangerous.

Coincidentally someone sent a deaththreat to author Anne Allen after Pam criticised her for giving dumb advice about Amazon reviews. Pam did not, of course, advocate Ms Allen be killed or hurt!

2. Jayne
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 06:37:15

@Ann Somerville: Just to be sure I understand this – the alleged attacker is an author who had some history with this agent/blogger? Holy freakin’ hell.

3. Patricia Eimer
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 06:50:01

Crap someone attacked an agent near her kid’s school? What’s the world coming to? That’s just insane.

4. becca
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 07:22:51

I’m actually glad the new iPod Nanos are bigger; the little square ones were just too small, and too easily lost.

5. Maili
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 07:23:21

@Ann Somerville: Oh, god. That’s so awful. I’m so glad they caught the tosser and that the agent and her daughter are all right. Seems that he tracked her whereabouts through Foursquare and possibly Twitter. Surprise, surprise. :(

6. Christine M.
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 07:57:27

Happy too about the Nano. IMe and the bf ‘lost’ ours several times because they are so small. Takes several days to find them when that happens.

7. Jayne
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 08:03:55

Love the bus ad. Even the dog is impressed. “I am still cool.”

8. Lynnd
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 08:15:29

@Jane: I’m with you on not liking the new nano. I wear mine on as a watch while I’m working out and it’s great (tunes, podcasts, music, stopwatch, timer, clock). The only complaint I had about it was that there was no wireless/bluetooth connection for earphones so I had to be careful of the cord. If I didn’t want to wear it as a watch, I could also clip it on to my clothes. Maybe Pebble will come up with something to replace it since they did so well in their kickstarter campaign.

9. Isobel Carr
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 09:59:40

From what Pam said last night, her attacker was a disgruntled querier (sp?). Her little Jack Russell leapt to her defense and bit the guy. You gotta love a terrier. Regardless of size, they are FIERCE! The dog will be receiving an accommodation from the cops, and I’m sure a lot of love and steak from Pam and her family. I’m so glad to hear she’d ok and that her daughter didn’t witness the attack, but it really freaks me out that something like this would happen.

10. Isobel Carr
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 10:07:50

The universal phone charger has been coming since 2009. It was agreed among manufacturers to reduce waste and lower the impact on the environment, but doing so is not compulsory. As far as I can tell, Apple is the only major player in cell phones who is not a party to the agreement. It’s kind of sad that while everyone else is streamlining and working to reduce waste, Apple is going in the opposite direction with the iPhone and its new charging configuration.

11. DS
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 10:29:15

@Isobel Carr: JRTs are great big dogs in little dog bodies. I don’t have one now for the first time in twenty years and I miss him a lot.

12. Darlynne
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 10:50:35

I’ve been on those buses, unless the video is of a new 2012-13 model. They are nice and comfy, many with wi-fi service.

I’m not surprised about Apple’s decision concerning chargers, just wish I’d stop bothering to be disappointed and/or angry. What a bunch of irresponsible hooligans.

13. Lisa
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 18:28:24

Considering my DH’s obsession with LeBron and the Iphone 5 I think you wrote this post just for him!

14. Ann Somerville
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 18:32:17

@Jayne:

Sorry for the delay in replying but your message came through when I was already in bed just checking emails on the iPad before going to sleep. As Isobel said, he was someone who’d queried Pam unsuccessfully, and the police found his name by going through her hate mail (ie the normal garbage that agents can expect these days from unsuccessful authors, yuck.)

Next time that bully site makes fun of Lucy having received death threats via her phone (which means someone – two separate someones – went to the trouble of tracking her and her number down based on information published by that site), I hope someone chokes them with this newest outrage. Although with the cognitive dissonance practiced by its owner, she will probably say that Pam brought it on herself because she should have been ‘nicer’ to the author or something.

15. jmc
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 22:41:16

On athletes who read: David Ferrer, #5 ranked tennis player in the world, is a reader, which I think is awesome.

16. Jayne
    Sep 15, 2012 @ 07:00:16

@Ann Somerville: Well for me, sleep trumps about everything else. ;)

I’m sure that will be one ‘loved on’ puppy. “What a good doggy.”

17. Lorenda Christensen
    Sep 16, 2012 @ 01:46:17

I just recently signed with Pam as my agent, and she mentioned that while her Jack Russell bit the attacker, her bulldog licked his hand. That must have been a terribly frightening experience for her, so personally I’m glad she managed to keep her sense of humor. Not sure I’d be able to do the same. She’s a brave lady.