Friday News: Google giveth and it taketh away; Also, woman love...

But who wants to try out Google Keep after the shuttering of Google Reader and the cancellation of Frommer’s travel guides?  Skift

1. Christine M.
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 07:15:29

I have to say that I F*cking Love Science (said FB page) is one of the best thing to happen to Facebook, like, ever. I’m not huge on science but what she posts is so fascinating I had to follow the page to make sure I didn’t miss a single tidbit. And not only she’s female, but people also expressed surprised and dismay at the fact she’s, you know, Canadian. *rolls eyes*

2. carmen webster buxton
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 08:06:22

I can’t believe Google is dumb enough to launch Keep right after announcing that they’re killing Reader! “Hi, we just killed this free product you’ve been using every day for years, even though it works great, because we can’t make money on it. Would you like to try this new free product we just created?” Why should I trust you, Google? It’s not like Evernote isn’t out there already.

3. Ann F.
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 08:09:54

What is the deal with Elloras Cave pricing? I finished my first book from them last month and was really disappointed. The book was OK but it was short and when I recalled that I had paid $8 or $9 for it I was kind of disgusted. It felt like a $3 read to me.
    I think there are too may other options out there for good erotica at the under $5 price range to justify paying Ellora’s Cave pricing. Is there a reason their prices are so high?

4. MrsJoseph
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 09:08:05

@Ann F.: I have no real clue – but EC has been rocked often with the owner’s personal and professional legal problems. I’m assuming that’s the main reason. Even though EC was my first erotica bookstore, I hardly ever shop there due to their absurdly high prices.

5. Isobel Carr
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 09:35:10

I’m always amazed by the “oh, wow, you’re a girl” thing. I’m on a large forum for people who have planted aquariums (geekery of a whole different kind, LOL!), and every time something in a comment outs one of the members as female, there’s always a few shocked men who feel the need to comment. I have no idea why it is shocking that women like pretty aquariums and plants.

6. Janet W
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 09:49:05

With me it’s almost always personal — these price discussions that is, because I’m pretty cheap. My only encounter with Ellora’s Cave recently has been my purchase of Reaper’s Property — 264 pages, $7 — I thought the book was worth reading and more importantly to me, I was able to lend it. Lendability is a real tipping point for me. Now I do think the price was high — Kristen Ashley’s books, even commercially published, are cheaper.

But to make a comparison, I shied away from buying Uncommon Pleasure by Anne Calhoun. Three hundred pages, ten bucks, not lendable–thank you again Penguin/Berkley, for pricing your books so high.

7. library addict
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 13:05:35

I love Evernote. I use for simple lists and to write notes to myself from my phone when I am in bed and don’t want to get up to write something down. I know I don’t use it anywhere near to its full potential, but why would I leave something that works well for me, is already installed on my various devices, and is free?

It makes me sad that in this day and age people are surprised women have brains and actually use them.

8. Carrie G
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 15:13:40

I love Science is Awesome on FB and also “Dr. Carin Bondar – Biologist With a Twist.” I haven’t tried Science is F*ing awesome, but I’m sure it’s wonderful. I often share the links on my FB page and most of the feedback I get from FB friends is they love my science posts. ;-) I teach Life Science and Biology, and my students (former and current) like to comment on the science links. It’s great fun, especially with former students. It’s like I get to keep teaching them even after they’re out of my class.

9. Angela Booth
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 16:42:04

I’m so disappointed about Google Reader. I’ve been looking around for a replacement, but there isn’t one. Looks as if I’ll be going back to BlogLines, which is apparently still around. (But for how much longer?)

And now Google launches Keep? They’re taking direct aim at Evernote, which I love. Keep sounds bare-bones, but even if it was so superb it beat Evernote, I wouldn’t use it.

10. Christine M.
    Mar 23, 2013 @ 00:02:26

@Carrie G:

I f*cking love science is the same page-same admin-same content as Science is awesome, only with swearing. :)

11. Samtha
    Mar 23, 2013 @ 17:15:21

It’s never struck me that EC’s books are priced high– they seem priced in the same range as other publishers.

The Old Reader and Feedly are both nice, Angela.

12. Dana S
    Mar 23, 2013 @ 20:16:34

And as soon as they found she was a woman (which really wasn’t a secret) people started commenting on her looks.