Friday News: Eighth Circuit limits free speech for students; Amazon video...

• Children’s sales, including Young Adult and middle grade books, have slowed considerably.
  • While mystery stories are not selling as well as in previous years, science fiction/fantasy and thrillers are on the rise.
  • Sales in romance and woman’s fiction projects have doubled! RT Book Reviews

Hide money in chapstick container

1. Lorenda Christensen
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 04:36:41

On the Amazon thing, just as an FYI, I bought my kids a Kindle Fire while in the US on Chrismas and bought a movie from Amazon for them to watch. When we got back to Bangalore, I found that it won’t play over here, even though the device (and movie) were both legally purchased in the US.

I guess I understand the reasoning, but it’s still annoying to me. Not to mention a reminder that digital “purchases” are not the same as physical ones. At least if I’d bought the DVD copy, it would have played on the DVD player we brought from the US.

It puts us – expats with plans to move back to the US within the year – in a really bad spot. We can’t buy India digital things because they won’t work when we move back, but I can’t buy US digital, because they won’t work in India. Grr

2. library addict
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 06:20:56

Love many of those tips. My mom used to make us cupcakes in ice cream cones when we were kids.

3. Nadia Lee
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 08:23:59

@Lorenda Christensen: If you plan to move back to the US soon, and if you have a US-issued credit card w/ a valid US billing address, you can create a US account with iTunes. The movies you buy there WILL be playable when you return to the US or in India.

As for Amazon — its streaming / movie service is tied to your IP address. If your IP address reveals that you’re not in the States you cannot watch anything. OTOH — you can buy their MP3s w/o any problem b/c it’s tied to your US billing address as far as I know.

4. SAO
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 11:08:34

When pirates have better service than legitimate stores, people start downloading from the pirates.

PS: Lorenda, most DVD players have hack codes that allow you to make them region free. Google region-free and the brand of your DVD player. It’s common in Central and E. Europe for the DVDs sold as universal or world-wide to be standard region encoded DVD players with a xeroxed cheat sheet in the box, added by the retailer.

When you watch your US DVD in India, you will have to sit through an FBI warning designed to convince you that watching the DVD you legally purchased is a crime and a sin, but it tends to have the opposite effect on me. If I read it at all, I think it’s a sin and a crime to foist such blatantly unfair policies on the globally mobile.

5. Gillian Archer
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 11:27:18

@Nadia Lee: That didn’t work for us when we lived in Ireland. iTunes still wouldn’t let us purchase via the US site since our IP address was Irish. I’m sure there’s a work around it but I couldn’t figure it out. It kept changing to the UK site.
    Conversely we’re having the opposite problem now. Bought a US iPad when we returned and for some reason it thinks it’s in Ireland and keeps returning to UK English spellcheck. Wonder if it’s because I set up that email account in Ireland. Weirdness.

6. Brian
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 11:59:42

To the best of my knowledge the licensing restriction problems with Amazon streaming are inherent in the way licensing works for streaming services (Amazon, Vudu, etc.) right now and are not specific to Amazon. If you think book publishers are restrictive they’re nothing when compared to movie studios.

7. willaful
    Oct 19, 2012 @ 14:57:20

That romance sales doubling stat? All me. ;-)

8. Lorenda Christensen
    Oct 23, 2012 @ 13:03:34

@Gillian Archer: I have no issues at all with iTunes…actually my kids in the past used my iPad, but we got them a Fire so I could have my iPad back. I had assumed everything would work the same – since I have both iTunes and Amazon set up with the same US address and CC, that my access would be the same. Oddly enough, I have no trouble getting access to ebooks on my Amazon Touch, and I’ve bought many while in India from the US store with no issues. It’s just the videos that don’t work here. I also cannot watch my purchased videos streaming from Amazon unless I VPN to my US server. In any case, it made our 24 hour trip from Tulsa to Bangalore a lot longer without those movies. :)