Friday News: Busting the famous writers self publishing myth; WordPress fights...

It will come as no surprise to long time followers of DA that DMCA notices are routinely sent out with no basis at all. For many bloggers the threat of a lawsuit delivered via official letterhead is enough to get the content removed. Most bloggers aren’t lawyers nor do they have the funds to defend themselves. But as Automattic notes, there is a provision that allows the DMCA to be used as a sword by content providers by suing those who file fraudulent DMCAs. There are even some law firms and lawyers who’ve had ethical charges brought against them for sending out takedown notices without undertaking proper investigation of the charges. WordPress.com

And here are some unfortunate editing errors at supermarkets but who cares because lemons are perfect for orange juice.

BZbYH8FIgAAum28

BZiwZwUIAAA4fYF
BZjDi2CIIAA5chZ

1. Aly
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 06:51:25

My friends’ daughter got a Kindle Fire as a gift last Christmas and it was stolen while in school probably 5 months later (she’s in 6th grade). She was inconsolable for months… not just because of the Kindle itself, but because of everything she’d saved in it. Now she doesn’t want another one because she’s afraid the same thing will happen again. She says another kid in her school, an 8th grader, got his iPad stolen a couple of months ago. (they live in NY)

2. Melisse Aires
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 07:21:20

I was watching Hallmark movies and saw a long commercial for a kid friendly tablet called the Kurio sold at Toys R Us etc. Special casing, kid friendly apps built in. They mentioned ebooks in the add.

3. Ann F.
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 07:58:50

My daughters (ages 7 &9) are both getting new Kindle HDX’s for Christmas. They have Fire’s that are now 2 years old and starting to show some wear and tear so it’s time for an upgrade. It’s tough to beat the streaming TV and movie options available through our Amazon Prime membership, the ability to get e-books from our library, great parent control functions, and of course great books and apps available right from Amazon. Given the relatively low cost I think it’s a great tablet for young kids, we’ve been very pleased with ours.

4. Sirius
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 08:41:56

Yep – getting two kindle fires for 8 and 5 year olds myself. They did not have any tablets before and 8 year old begging is getting a bit exhausting :).

5. Isobel Carr
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 09:03:48

I see a lot of lists of “famous authors who self published” out there that contain people going back to the 18thC when publishing was a very different animal. They always reek of snake oil. And they seem silly at this point, when there are so many CURRENT success stories to point to instead (but of course, if you point to the current ones, it becomes immediately obvious that they didn’t use or need help from someone like Kremer).

6. Cady
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 09:23:50

One child has a Kindle Fire and one has the Ipad mini – the kids saved money from birthdays, etc to get, one wanted it right away and the other waited. Kid with the mini likes hers better than the Fire. Truthfully, the Fire rarely gets played – usually just takes my Ipad and plays with that instead. I think it really depends on the kid. My other issue with the Kindle, is since it is registered on my amazon account, it has one touch buying – can’t get a way to put a password on the Kindle for purchases like I have on the Ipad. Son hasn’t just bought anything without approval, but it does take away a layer of control. (This might be something I can fix, but truthfully, I am not computer savvy enough to know how to do it)

7. Karenmc
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 09:26:13

I work in grocery advertising, so I can appreciate how those ad sign errors can liven up a trip to the store.

8. Anna M
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 09:55:35

My older son has a nexus and the younger uses an ipod touch and they are NOT ALLOWED AT SCHOOL, per school policy. This is a K – 8 school. They get plenty of screen time in the evenings, after homework. For free reading time at school, they read paper books– they can get 2 a week from the school library and the teachers all have class bookshelves. And at recess I would rather they have social interaction than more screen time.

9. leslie
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:18:56

Theft in schools is really a problem in my area. School libraries are the worst, my son fell asleep in the UCLA stacks….his phone was plugged in and sitting on the arm of the chair….someone lifted it without waking him. Evil to steal from students of any age.

IPads are the preferred tablet in our house. I’m the only Kindle user. My youngest has mentioned he would like an e-ink reader (no distractions) so I am getting him a Kindle PW.
    All my guys want IPhones…….I tell ya our phone bill is going to be outrageous….ITunes is not cheap!

10. CK
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:19:35

I think the parental controls on the Kindle Fire are fantastic (12, 8, 5yo). When you add the subscription to FreeTime and Amazon Prime vids the kids use theirs all the time. Freetime is totally worth for the 8 and under crowd. My 12yo is allowed to take his 2nd gen Kindle reader to school and that seems to be the popular consensus (by parents and teachers): ereaders, not personal tablets at school.

11. Amanda
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:20:16

I know if I eat to much fudge it doesn’t help with my ass, so maybe that label isn’t to much of a mistake

12. leslie
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:32:06

Am I persona non grata? My comment was put in moderation, then disappeared.

Nov 22, 2013 @ 10:34:18

@lesie – not sure what happened. I blame it on WordPress.

14. Brenna Aubrey
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 12:41:31

I retweeted the Welsh Lady Ass Fudge yesterday. Made me giggle like a third-grader. I’m still giggling about it. Those other ones are awesome, too!

15. Janine
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 12:58:34

That is great news about WordPress! Spurious DMCA take down notices are nothing more than an intimidation/bullying tactic.

16. Jamie Beck
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 16:15:42

Bought my daughter a regular old kindle a few years ago (when she turned 10) because she’s a monster reader…and it gave her quick, easy access to getting new books. She reads more often because of it (and I love not having to run to the bookstore or library all the time). Our library also has an electronic sharing program, so a lot of times she can get the book she wants for ‘free’ for a limited time. It’s great.

I laughed my @$$ off at those grocery typos. Love that stuff. It’s hard to believe no one caught the typos before setting up the displays, but then again, I’m a horrible proof-reader myself!!

17. Rachel
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 16:50:35

All the comments about Kindle Fire use for kids are really interesting. The Amazon Vids/Prime and parental controls sound really useful. I just wonder what content is actually available outside the US, especially as daily deals and book publication dates are frequently not available.

18. Kaetrin
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 18:16:55

Son’s school has iPads which each student uses and I can’t see any reason for him to take a tablet of his own to school. Lucky for us because I’d think they’d be prime items for theft.

We bought him an Asus Memo Pad 7″ for Christmas (partly so he’ll stop stealing the iPad from us at home!) If he wants to read on it, we can install any number of apps as it runs on the Android platform. It takes 32mb Micro sd cards and has 16mb onboard storage. But I suspect he will mainly watch Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 videos on You Tube with it and maybe play a few games. He’s a voracious reader but hasn’t made the shift to ebooks yet.

19. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Abbreviated linkity on a day when I said there’d be none
    Dec 06, 2013 @ 19:29:40