Barnes & Noble Booksellers – Yesterday, Barnes & Noble and Microsoft announced that it finalized the formation of a new company called Nook Media which will focus on the college and digital markets. Microsoft invested $300 million for an approximate 17.6% equity stake and B&N will own the remaining 82.4% stake. “One of the first benefits for customers will be a NOOK application for Windows 8, which will extend the reach of Barnes & Noble’s digital bookstore by providing one of the world’s largest digital catalogues of e-Books, magazines and newspapers to hundreds of millions of Windows customers in the U.S. and internationally.”
This release is not without its missteps. Someone at B&N or Microsoft forgot to do a little due diligence. Nook Media, website and twitter handle, are owned and used by Stockholm based developer of online gambling casinos. Perhaps B&N/MS who has yet to name Newco, the company that owns the Nook Media subsidiary, can figure out a new name. B&N and The Digital Reader
Lena Dunham Book — Bidding At $3.6 Million – Lena Dunham is one of the creators and stars of the HBO Emmy nominated show Girls. I’ve never watched. Apparently she is viewed as an influencer of young women and thus her book, Not That Kind of Girl: Advice, which will contain anecdotes and advice sold for $3.6 million. One of her anecdotes will be about dating much older hollywood men.
Publishers And Google Reach Agreement – After the Google settlement was rejected, Authors Guild was granted class status. Google then appealed and was granted a hearing by the Appellate Court as to whether the class certification was appropriate. But the publisher part of the suit has now been settled.
“The settlement acknowledges the rights and interests of copyright-holders. U.S. publishers can choose to make available or choose to remove their books and journals digitized by Google for its Library Project. Those deciding not to remove their works will have the option to receive a digital copy for their use.
Google Books allows users to browse up to 20% of books and then purchase digital versions through Google Play. Under the agreement, books scanned by Google in the Library Project can now be included by publishers.”Press Release
Hachette: Sales Shuffle and DOJ Settlement Update – DBW reports that Hachette’s new deal with retailers should be in place soon. According to the deadline set by the settlement agreement entered by the court, the publishers have until about November 6 before their retail agreements would expire. Laura Hazard Owen covered this briefly over at PaidContent. It was my conclusion that Hachette wouldn’t want new contracts eliminating agency pricing until after Casual Vacancy went on sale. Digital Book World
One thing that this sort of program highlights, however, is the disparity in learning between schools that have and schools that do not have. It seems to me that publicly funded schools should provide an equal level of learning for every child no matter the school district. The Austin Texas program was funded by bond money earmarked for educational technology. I’m not certain what the solution is to the technological divide but one must come in order for all kids to have a fair chance and a world class education. The Digital Shift
Jane Litte is the founder of Dear Author, a lawyer, and a lover of pencil skirts. She self publishes NA and contemporaries (and publishes with Berkley and Montlake) and spends her downtime reading romances and writing about them. Her TBR pile is much larger than the one shown in the picture and not as pretty.
You can reach Jane by email at jane @ dearauthor dot com