Friday News: Amazon responds to its customers and creates a New...

This is just another sign of how nimble Amazon is.  I was told it took two years for BN to roll out the Teen Paranormal change in its stores and now that Teen PNR is on the decline, BN may be feeling shy of making any in store change but being quick to respond in retail is more important today than ever.  Target is rumored to be taking more NA books.  J.A. Rederminki’s Edge of Never, picked up by Grand Central, will spotlighted in store buy this summer.

Categories are all about helping the reader find the right book. Hopefully as New Adult grows and matures and changes, it will be become its own category and we can find romance as a subheading along with fantasy, historicals and others. (As an aside, I was pitched an NA historical the other day that I plan to read. Will report back.) Amazon

Representative Review Quote: “I can’t say this enough: This movie is about an adult male dressed in pink jammies.” -Washington Post

P Diddy Downton Abbey

For example, what distinguishes game theory, and economics generally, from other social science approaches is its emphasis on individual choice. That’s how economists explain behavior. For Austen, choice is an obsession. She mentions “the power of choice” and states that it is “a great deal better to chuse than to be chosen.”

When Fanny Price, in “Mansfield Park,” receives the proposal of the rich but smarmy Henry Crawford, her entire adoptive family pressures her to accept, but Fanny heroically resists, telling her uncle Sir Thomas that it is simply her choice: “I — I cannot like him, sir, well enough to marry him.”

Economists love results that are not intuitive. One such result, which still gives people pause, is that a country technologically worse at producing everything should still trade with a technologically superior country — as long as it has a comparative advantage in producing one good relative to another.

Fun and interesting. PBS NewsHour | PBS

1. mari
    May 17, 2013 @ 05:39:08

There’s no reason in the world a Black person or person of color couldn’t be on DA. Plenty of non-whites in Britain, then and now.

2. DB Cooper
    May 17, 2013 @ 06:42:15

@mari:

I would think the “awesomeness” has more to do with the type of personality one would typically associate with P. Diddy, versus the type of atmosphere one would typically expect from DA–rather than P. Diddy being black.

That being said, it’s been announced that Season 4 will have a recurring black character, so yay on that front. :)

May 17, 2013 @ 07:08:38

@DB Cooper – yeah, the awesomeness would have been associated with a P Diddy like character. Although he didn’t emote enough in the Funny or Die skit for me. Still funny to think about.

4. Lada
    May 17, 2013 @ 07:27:30

It’s Friday and this is both sweet and romantic. The class of 1943 is finally getting a prom. The couple that is interviewed is adorable.

5. Maili
    May 17, 2013 @ 09:18:57

6. Isobel Carr
    May 17, 2013 @ 09:24:51

Ah, Battlefield Earth. You know a movie is bad when a ten year old boy leans over and says, “Yeah, right, like those fighter jets would just start up after all those years.” When a little kid is over analyzing your world building and finding it lacking, you are screwed.

7. SuperWendy
    May 17, 2013 @ 09:47:54

While I haven’t watched them all – I knew every single one of those movies existed. I’m not sure what this says about me, but probably nothing good…..

8. Susan
    May 17, 2013 @ 14:15:42

::cough:: I liked John Carter and I think it could have been saved with a little on-screen tweaking and off-screen marketing.

9. De
    May 17, 2013 @ 15:57:41

@Susan:
    I have a friend who’s theory is that Disney bought the rights to kill it. To keep anyone else from having it. She thinks in the next few years Disney will come out with something very similar that’s all theirs and they won’t have to share the money. She points to quotes from the upper reaches of Disney calling it a flop before it ever opened, and the lack of tie in products.

I’m not much for conspiracy theories, but I think she might be onto something with this one. John Carter wasn’t bad. It wasn’t great, but it wasn’t bad. Mainly, it was barely marketed and what little marketing it did get was wrong.

10. Deborah Nam-Krane
    May 17, 2013 @ 19:47:26

I was pretty ecstatic yesterday when I saw that my book had been put into the New Adult & College category without having to do anything. I’m guessing they went by tags and description, but of course no one ever really knows how Amazon makes its decisions.

Of that list, The Scarlet Letter pains me most. How could they? But @Susan, my husband and sons really liked John Carter too *shrugs*