Friday Midday Links: YA fiction permeating every area of publishing

Regina Sirois was born and raised outside of Kansas City. She minored in Creative Writing, but never found the right inspiration for a story until she became the mother of two girls. “On Little Wings” is her first novel. In it, 16-year-old Jennifer’s discovery of an aunt she never knew existed reunites her family and provokes love and forgiveness. One customer reviewer writes: “…some of the most exquisite writing I’ve seen in a VERY long time. Any given sentence, paragraph or scene was sublime.”

Via the magic of Google, there are a few more references to du Maurier’s possible plagiarism of A Sucessora. This blog says the following:

“Nabuco never sued Du Maurier for plagiarism, though she did write in her book of memoirs Oito Décadas (“Eight Decades”) that she herself translated A Sucessora into English. She then submitted the manuscript to a New York publishing house, requesting that they forward her proposal to British literary houses as well. Whether Du Maurier actually read Nabuco’s translation has been subject to debate, though Daphne Du Maurier, Haunted Heiress author Nina Auerbach reportedly claims in her book that that was indeed the case. (I haven’t read Haunted Heiress.)”

Based on this calculator, a household of 3 with married tax filers and an income of 50,000 would pay an annual premium of 4,205-4,750.

“Prior to finding basketball, James completed a six-year term in the United States Air Force, serving three tours in Iraq, Afghanistan and Qatar. James enlisted in the Air Force when he was 17 years old and eventually rose to the rank of staff sergeant.  In Iraq, he guarded thousands of detainees at Camp Bucca. In Qater, he secured buildings and airplanes. In Afghanistan, he worked as military law enforcement.”

Bernard James

James was drafted 33rd by Cleveland last night. What a great story. And dude, if some author writes about a military vet drafted into the NBA as a romance hero and whitewashes him, I’m coming after you and it won’t be pretty.

1. Kerry
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 13:17:00

Nobody’s handing me an extra $5K a year, so I’ll have to choose between insurance and retirement contributions, or insurance and electricity, or insurance and the kids’ college fund… F*uck it, I’ll pay the penalty. Cheaper, and I’d rather give money to a bloated and ineffective government that pisses me off on a daily basis than to the insurance industry, which is is the devil (spoken as a patient and a healthcare worker).

2. Lynne Connolly
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 13:38:53

Got to agree about the Fire and the Nexus, but from a software point of view. The Nexus comes with the new Android system, not crippled, so you can have all your ereaders in one – Kindle, Nook, Kobo, or the independent readers (I use Mantano and Moon+ Reader most of the time). The Fire will keep you on Kindle.
    Oh yes, and the Nexus is available in Europe, too. You can’t get a Nook Tablet or a Fire outside the USA.

3. leslie
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 13:51:13

Jane, why no mention of the passing of Nora Ephron?

4. Danielle
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 13:51:30

Nabuco was not the only author who accused du Maurier of plagiarism regarding Rebecca. Edwina Levin MacDonald actually sued du Maurier in 1941, a couple of months before The New York Times ran an article comparing Nabuco’s book with Rebecca.

I did a Google search inside Auerbach’s Haunted Heiress but could not find any mention of Nabuco or her novel in it (Wikipedia articles on both Nabuco and du Maurier reference Haunted Heiress as a source for the claim that du Maurier had read Nabuco’s book before writing Rebecca, a claim du Maurier denied. The cited sentence in the Wikipedia article, “Ms. Nabuco had translated her novel into French and sent it to a publisher in Paris, who she learned was also Ms. du Maurier’s” is not from Auerbach’s book but from a 2002 NYT article about another plagiarism “furor”.

Anyway, Nabuco’s accusation persuaded some, not others. A few weeks after the damning 1941 NYT article The Saturday Review Of Literature ran one dismissing Nabuco’s claims and NYT’s story. It can be read here.

5. Isobel Carr
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 14:23:45

Speaking of YA being everywhere, just saw that EL James’s husband (who writes for TV) has sold a YA.

6. jmc
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 15:05:08

@Isobel Carr: I guess the family is cashing in on her 15 minutes? Nepotism at work!

7. joanne
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 15:51:59

Possibly off topic Jane but your lead-in caption of “YA fiction permeating every area of publishing” makes me wonder about the seemingly sudden explosion of all the YA titles on the market. Are they really YA or, as happened when some realized the extent of sales in the romance genre, are they just riding the coattails of what’s selling now? I have no reason to think that they’re all not what they say they are other than my usual scepticism of quality when a glut occurs.

8. Isobel Carr
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 16:55:12

@joanne: I have a lot of friends branching out into YA. Usually, they’ve had an idea for awhile (much like I have SF/F ideas bouncing around). Some of them even started out there, but couldn’t sell it back before it really took off. Some suddenly have teens so the genre is on their radar. Lots of different reasons. I only know one who consciously moved into YA because it’s hot, but she’s writing in 4 genres now, slaving her booty off to support her family. She’s a work horse who can and will do whatever it takes to survive in the industry and I can’t say I fault her for trying YA too.

9. Meredith
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 17:59:26

I don’t write YA currently but I do read quite a bit of it. There is some amazing writing (ahem, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks!) emerging from the genre, and also a stunning variety of narrative styles (Ellen Hopkins being the writer whose success most amazes and delights me. Entire books in verse!). I love that the genre is getting so much attention, but at the same time, it seems to me that the attention focuses on a very narrow slice of the genre — which is a pity. I do love a well-done love triangle, but I’m quite grateful for blogs like The Book Smugglers that highlight the quirky gems that get ignored by the mainstream media.