Friday Links of Meyer

• Stephenie Meyer sold 8 million copies of her books in December. DECEMBER. 28 million copies have been sold overall. Since Meyer doesn’t plan on writing more Sparkly Vampires and Doormat Girls anytime soon, there will be a vacuum. Who is going to fill it?
  • Harlequin is giving away another ebook. It’s a collection of heartwarming stories and comments about romance along with a short story from Catherine Mann. Good thru February 16, 2009. Also, you can get an extra 14% off every title using the coupon “VALENTINE”.
  • Books on Board is having a 30% off all romance titles.
  • If you missed the Tools of Change convention, you can download an ebook of the “best of TOC” for free. It’s really a can’t miss look at what some very smart people view for the future of publishing. I really loved reading the #toc twitters and definitely plan to attend the conference in 2010.
  • Nora Roberts’ Boonsboro Inn is opening after rebuilding from the awful fire of last year. Apparently there are not a lot of literary fiction HEAs which made the theme rooms quite a challenge. SB Sarah and I have been knocking around a blogger/author retreat at the Boonsboro Inn in 2010.
  • The AuthorTalk Authors, Gena Showalter and Jill Monroe, find themselves the subject of questions and on the otherside of the interview table.

1. Amy Redwood
    Feb 13, 2009 @ 20:51:04

She sold 8 million sparkly books in December? It boggles the mind. And I still haven’t read it…

2. Kimber An
    Feb 13, 2009 @ 22:17:36

Haven’t you seen all the blood-sucking dead guys in the YA New Releases lately? How long did it take for the publishing industry to get over HARRY POTTER anyway? I haven’t seen many of its knock-offs lately.

3. Fantasy Dreamer
    Feb 13, 2009 @ 22:40:39

I’m guessing it’s the sparkly part that appealed to the YA readers because sparkly on vampires actually creeped me out. Which is weird, since I am lover of horror/fantasy books, especially vampires – just not sparkly ones.

4. Joy
    Feb 14, 2009 @ 11:02:06

I haven’t read it – but bought Twilight for my nephew as a Christmas present. His gf loved the sparkly vamps and he wanted to know what the big deal was.

5. TaraLeigh
    Feb 14, 2009 @ 14:01:12

I read up on LaNora’s Inn and it looks pretty amazing.

I especially like The Princess Bride room and of course—The Eve and Roarke Room. Sounds like she had a lot of fun with designing/collaborating the entire venture. While the fire was AWFUL–it might have made her work 2x’s as hard to make it awesome just in reaction to it.

I hope I get to see it one day.

6. Sarah Frantz
    Feb 14, 2009 @ 15:13:51

YES! Blogger retreat in 2010! It’s close enough to me that I could drive. Yes!

7. SonomaLass
    Feb 14, 2009 @ 18:17:52

Ahem, hereby volunteering to be the “token reader” at your author-blogger retreat. Hey, someone’s got to represent those of use who “only” read the books and the blogs.

8. katieM
    Feb 14, 2009 @ 21:48:42

I can see why Meyers sold 8 million in December. My 5th grade girls are all into the sparkly world of Meyers, too. They are 10 and 11 years old! I have 15 girls in my class alone and each one of them received the book for Christmas. When I was their age, I was reading books like The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, or Heidi. I know that times change, but really now, little girls shouldn’t be lusting after the dead and wishing to be doormats to said dead.

9. Cathy in AK
    Feb 15, 2009 @ 15:16:52

My 12 year old has no interest in the series, mostly because there is too much kissing and too little blood sucking for her taste. And I have no issues with her not reading about doormat girls. So there may be hope for this generation. Though her preference for things like WoW, and the fact she dressed as a black clad “cheerlessleader” for Halloween last year, could have something to do with her reading choices.