Fictionwise’s eReader Available as an iPhone App for the New Iphones

Apple’s AppStore is live and there are a couple of free ebook readers including Fictionwise’s eReader. According to the description, eReader allows for “direct wireless transfers of your content to the device’s internal storage for offline reading.” This says to me that you’ll be able to buy from Fictionwise directly from the iPhone just like you would be able to with the Kindle.

Is this the tipping point for eBooks? The Kindle Killer? I’m off to the Apple Store tomorrow for my 3G iPhone and Sunday I hope to write up my experience with the new iPhone Reading Apps.

1. Angela James
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 09:16:19

I was wondering if you were going to get your new iPhone tomorrow. Will the new eReader only work with the new iPhone, or with the old version as well?

2. Melissa
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 09:25:04

I am going to try putting off buying the new iphone until the cases start to show up. I was always paranoid throwing my old one in my purse with no case. After 4 cases I have one I love…but I covet 3g internet surfing with all of my heart!

3. KCfla
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 09:51:43

I too want to know if the app will work with the old phone.
    I’m too poor to replace a phone that I’ve had only 7 months ( not to mention it was a gift from Hubby!)
    If not, I’ll just have to deal, but still…………

4. jane
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 09:53:42

It should work with all phones. The new firmware should be released tomorrow.

5. Ember
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:02:49

You’ll need to update your iTunes to 7.7 (if your iTunes tells you that your 7.6 version is up to date, you can go to the iTunes website and manually download 7.7). Then (as Jane said) you’ll need the firmware update, hopefully tomorrow.

I’m still eager to see if the Fictionwise eReader is only going to work for ebooks purchased through eReader.com and fictionwise.com

6. KCfla
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 10:10:03

Thank you Jane!
    I *will* have to catch up with technology….eventually lol!

7. Tina Burns
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 17:11:20

I’ve been wary of anything “i” related since I went through 4 iPods and shuffles, finally moving on to the Zune for an MP3 player. I like Apple computers and will probably transition to that next computer but I’m skeered of the “i”. I have friends and family who have the first iPhone and love it, so I’m looking forward to your review now that the 2nd version seems to be promising more!

8. Harald
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 17:29:59

eReader works with iPhones running the updated OS 2.0, so it works with the older iPhone and iPod Touch. Alas, I have only been able to connect to my library on ereader.com, not fictionwise. No way to enter the latter…

9. Ann Bruce
    Jul 11, 2008 @ 12:15:45

For cheap people like me who prefer the iPod Touch, which just lacks the phone capabilities and 3G of the iPhone, because they don’t want to sign a 3-year deal with Rogers in Canada, Apple’s annual BTS special is a free iPod Touch with the purchase of a Mac. The promo ends mid-September.

Of course, this giveaway tells me Apple’s getting ready to launch a new iPod Touch for the Christmas season.

10. kerry
    Jul 11, 2008 @ 14:11:43

I also installed this and like Harald, could not connect to my library on fictionwise. It’s *supposed* to have some way to get content from fictionwise but I can’t figure out how.

11. BevQB
    Jul 11, 2008 @ 14:21:34

hee, I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist the 3G, Jane. That’s what I like about you– always willing to take one for the team so we don’t have to figure this stuff out on our own.