Feel The Heat Writing Competition from Mills & Boon
I don’t know if this is common knowledge or not, but Harlequin is one of the few major publishers that still accept un-agented manuscripts (Dorchester and Tor are others). From time to time Harlequin holds writing contests and the winners receive the editing services of a Harlequin editor for a year. One thing that was shared with us bloggers at the Harlequin dinner is that these contests are really great for discovering new talent. Mills & Boon, the UK version of Harlequin, is trying out one of these contests. More details below:
The FEEL THE HEAT writing competition!
Do you have a fresh, vibrant, sassy voice and a passion for sexy alpha heroes? Can you write sparky dialogue, create great sensual tension and hot love-scenes?
If so, then we want to hear from you!
- Email your first chapter and synopsis of a Modern Heat novel to: email@example.com by 15th September 2008.
- The WINNER receives an editor for a year!
- TWO RUNNERS-UP will be given critiques of their first chapter entries and an editorial telephone consultation!
The winner will be announced October 1st 2008.
The Modern Heat guidelines can be found at Writing Contest: Mills & Boon Modern Heat Writing Guidelines and editor Joanne Carr has asked some of her existing Modern Heat authors to blog throughout this period to share writing tips and their experiences.
And now for the serious part!
- Your entry must be aimed at Modern Heat
- Your entry must NOT have been submitted previously to Harlequin Mills & Boon
- Only ONE entry per person
- Submissions received after the closing date will NOT be assessed!