Edith Layton, Author & Word Wench, Passes Away

According to a post at likesbooks.com, Edith Layton has passed away. Layton wrote her first book at the age of 10 and went on to have an award-winning career with more than thirty novels and numerous novellas to her credit.

Layton blogged at Word Wenches and there will be a memorial post to her tomorrow.

1. Jayne
    Jun 02, 2009 @ 14:48:29

She wrote some great older “trad” regencies. My condolences to her family and friends.

2. Janine
    Jun 02, 2009 @ 17:19:17

It’s very sad. I haven’t read that many of her books and only one of her trads. But that one (The Duke’s Wager) was a keeper for me.

3. Sunita
    Jun 02, 2009 @ 18:59:41

This is so sad. Ovarian cancer strikes again, dammit.

I have a number of her early trads, including The Duke’s Wager. They were quite unusual for the period. A reread is definitely in order.

For Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me fans, did you know she was Adam Felber’s mother? Her kids were all really proud of her and her career, from what I’ve read.

4. Shiloh Walker
    Jun 02, 2009 @ 20:16:14

I can’t recall if I’ve read her or not.

:( how terrible for her family and friends.

5. hapax
    Jun 02, 2009 @ 20:50:23

Oh, how sad. I haven’t read one of her books for years, but she used to be on my Must Buy list. THE DISDAINFUL MARQUIS was one of the first books I fell madly in love with.

Wandering over to her website, and looking at the covers, I realize that for most of her books, I can recall the *actual scene in the story* the cover depicts. My goodness. How long has it been since cover art had anything to do with the story that way?

6. marga
    Jun 03, 2009 @ 05:33:31

she was a great writer and will be sorely missed!

7. Liz Quigley
    Jan 08, 2014 @ 06:11:19

My condolences to Edith Layton’s family even this many years late, just having learned that a favorite author has passed, I mourn with her family and other fans, Goddess bless her.