Dawn Thompson and Phyllis Whitney Have Passed Away

Apparently author Dawn Thompson has passed away. Dawn was an award winning author of otherworldy and historical romances.

Edited to add:   You can make a donation on behalf of Ms. Thompson to the Havens Foundation.   You can read more about it at her blog (look at the sidebar).   Via SmartBitches.

Phyllis Whitney, author of many mystery and YA novels, also died at the age of 104.

1. Diana Castilleja
    Feb 09, 2008 @ 20:59:45

How sad. :( More voices, gone.

2. Kristen
    Feb 09, 2008 @ 21:09:15

Just…sad. I hope their families know how many lives they touched.

3. Meljean
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 00:09:23

Oh, no :-(

4. Shannon C.
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 00:14:56

How sad! Phyllis Whitney is what got me reading romance when I was a teenager.

5. Leslie Dicken
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 00:35:13

I met Dawn when she sold her first novel to Dorchester. She was excited and stunned. I was hopeful for the subgenre of gothic romances. I was so thrilled when I saw her career grow so quickly.

I am truly saddened by her passing. It was far too early for such a talented author. May she rest in peace.

6. Angela
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 04:07:58

Loved Phyllis Whitney! And I’ve read one of Dawn Thompson’s books–it was quite entertaining. Their voices will be missed.

7. Danielle
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 05:36:49

How sad for the romance world to lose another two authors. My heart goes out to their families at this time.

8. Cassandra Curtis
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 08:55:05

Very sad to hear about Dawn’s passing. She was a talented and gifted author lost far too soon.

I remember Phyllis Whitney’s books as a teen when my mum finished reading them. I’d get lost in the stories she created. Very sad she is gone, but what a remarkable life she had.

My prayers and sympathy go out to the families of both of these women.

C.C.

9. bam
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 10:30:46

Dude. 104? SRSLY?

daaaaaaaaaang.

Oh and Ravencliffe Bride and the Water lord are on my TBR pile. My condolences to Ms. Thompson’s family and friends.

10. Poison Ivy
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 10:50:17

Phyllis A. Whitney had such a long and interesting career and life. Like others, I read many of her books when I was young. I’ve done an appreciation on the website for those to care to look.

11. Janine
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 12:03:20

My condolences to the family members and friends of both Thompson and Whitney.

Living to the age of 104 is pretty amazing.

12. Marie-Nicole
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 14:43:42

I’m so sad for both their families. I remember first reading Whitney’s books as a teenager, and that was a long time ago.

13. Ciar Cullen
    Feb 10, 2008 @ 16:15:29

Aw, I’m in there with those of you who got hooked on Phyllis Whitney as a kid. Isn’t it amazing how a writer’s work can stay with you. What a lovely gift, what an interesting life.

14. Felicia H
    May 01, 2008 @ 22:37:09

I just can’t believe it! It’s so sad! My best wishes to the families. I LOVED Dawn Thompson’s The Falcon’s Bride. It was her first books i ever read, and i couldn’t put it down! Still can’t!

The book inspired me write as well! She will be sorely missed as all great authors are.