Congratulations to Lynn Kurland and her 12 years of waiting and...

book review I heard yesterday that author Lynn Kurland made the New York Times bestseller list for the very first time with her latest release, With Every Breath. This is the first NYT appearance for Ms. Kurland after 12 years of publishing. Her first book, STARDUST OF YESTERDAY, was published in April of 1996.

Kurland also managed to resist the call to add more heat to her books. As her FAQ says, her PG rating is intentional. So Kurland has made it by sticking to her principles and persevering. It’s as inspirational as any first sale story. Congratulations Ms. Kurland from Dear Author.

1. Mireya
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 18:32:48

I am not known for re-reading books. As a matter of fact, it is rare for me to do so. In this case, I’ve gone through not one but two Lynn Kurland “binges” (re-read all of her books one after the other) since I first discovered here five years ago. Her latest, oddly enough, I didn’t find to be among her best. Ironic isn’t it? Still, I ADORE this author’s work. And even though I tend to prefer my romance spicier, I think hers would lose some of their charm, I think, if she changed that aspect.

Congratulations to Ms. Kurland!

2. (Jān)
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 18:42:06

That’s one thing that I’ve always liked about her books: There are never the requisite sex scenes that I end up having to skip because an author was uninspired. I always smile happily when she fades to black.

I have yet to read her newest. I should do that, since it’s a bestseller and all. ;D Congrats Ms. Kurland!

3. Karen W.
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 18:44:09

Just adding my congratulations to Ms. Kurland! I’ve always enjoyed her books, and I’m looking forward to reading her latest.

4. C2
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 19:14:39

She’s one of my all-time faves! I usually like spicier, too, but with her books I don’t really miss the heat. Congrats to her! :o)

5. Victoria Dahl
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 19:25:00

Big congrats, Lynn!!! Again. You can never hear it too many times, I’m sure.

Woohoo!

6. Janie Harrison
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 19:28:54

She certainly deserves the honor. She’s a fantastic writer! I have this book and am looking forward to reading it. Congratulations Ms. Kurland.

7. Jill Myles
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 19:43:18

I really like Kurland’s books. Congratulations! Well deserved.

8. Kimber An
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 20:37:20

Congratulations! And thank you for staying PG because it’s right for you. We readers know a Standard Issue Sex Scene when we see it. Also, there are a lot of readers who prefer PG, but the publishers don’t see this reflected in New sales. These readers have given up on buying New because there never seems to be anything for them. Instead, they go to the library and used bookstore. Authors like you can win them back!

9. Kathleen
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 20:45:30

Yeah!!!!! She’s my favorite, and in a class of her own.

10. Kristen
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 21:37:15

A well-deserved achievement for a fabulous author. Keep those books coming!

11. JaimeK
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 22:23:18

I really love Lynn Kurland – I watch, I wait, not so patiently, for her to release a new title. I was very pleased With Every Breath. I read all kinds of books with varying degrees of sex scenes. I have always been appreciative of Lynn letting the reader’s imagination work instead of her having to spell it out. Her stories are timeless that way. I think it is high time and fantastic that she hit the best sellers list!

12. Vanessa
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 23:20:56

I just put up my kinda review of this book on the AAR boards. I love everything she’s ever written, even if I can acknowledge that sometimes they run slightly too long. I eagerly anticipate her new books each and every time and I’m very happy for her :)

13. Mary M.
    Jun 05, 2008 @ 23:54:47

Congrats to Ms Kurland for that achievement! It’s so hard to believe she never had that honor before. I have bought most of her backlist and I only do so for a few select authors. I did so shortly after I read Stardust of yesterday. It’s still my favorite from her. I still haven’t read this one but I’m hoping to have the chance to do so in the next weeks.

14. Kim
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 00:01:12

I don’t read many romances, but I can’t help myself when it comes to Lynn Kurland’s books! I very much prefer books that leave the ‘sex scenes’ more to the imagination like she does — seems so much more interesting, I get bored so easily with authors who feel they have to detail it all out! Anyway, I’ve read ALL of Lynn’s books twice, including this newest one, which is my favorite. With Every Breath seems to have more plot and some really nice twists in it. Not to mention some interesting new characters that I hope to see again in future books! This book deserves every kudo it gets!

15. Terry
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 05:49:10

I didn’t start reading romance until I started writing it, and Lynn Kurland was a delightful introduction to the genre. Congratulations on the NYT appearance.

16. Keishon
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 06:56:40

I need to try her.

17. kardis
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 08:41:20

Congratulations to Ms. Kurland! I agree with Keishon, I need to give her books a try.

18. helenKay Dimon
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 11:12:08

Congratulations Ms. Kurland!

19. Ainsley
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 12:37:32

What? She’s never been on the NYT Bestseller List? Impossible. She’s a genius.

20. Kathleen
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 12:57:40

I know, it seems impossible. Especially since NONE of her books have ever gone out of print. The sum total sold of her earlier books have to be positively staggering.

21. cyclops8
    Jun 06, 2008 @ 16:36:48

Congrats on hitting the NYT bestseller list, Lynn.

22. Aileen
    Jun 07, 2008 @ 21:50:45

Congrats to Ms. Kurland! I thought her early books were inane and god-awful, but I really like her later works (especially her fantasy). I’m not a romance novel fan at all, but I read hers and am happy that she sticks to her PG-rating.

23. Christabel
    Apr 05, 2011 @ 14:22:21

I adore all of Lynn’s books. I snatch up every new one she writes. As a Christian woman trying to be an example to her daughter I really appreciate the PG theme in her books. The sex scenes are not needed as I feel the passion between the characters without it.
    Congrats on being on the NYT bestseller list. It’s about time they realized you don’t have to write smut to be a bestselling author.