Celebs and Authors Share What Book Got You Hooked?

whatbook_logo.gifFirst Book is running a new reading campaign called “What Book Got You Hooked?” which asks authors and celebrities to identify the book that got them hooked on reading. I can’t recall the first book that I ever read as I have been a reader from the start. I even had a Golden Book about getting my tonsils out that I took to the hospital with me when I was in second grade. (Golden Books were like Hallmark cards – there was a book for everything).

I love reading about other people’s inspirations for reading. First Book identifies the top 50 books that got readers hooked. Of the top fifty, these are the only ones I haven’t read. What can I say? My mother loved to read.

• Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
  • The Baby-sitters Club by Ann M. Martin
  • Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
  • Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Rebecca Romijn remembers Bridge to Terebithia fondly saying that people should forget the movie and pick up the book. David Duchovny summarizes his recollection of The Bat Poet by Randall Jarrell. Joyce Carroll Oates reminisces about her experience reading Alice in Wonderland. Oh, I can feel a series coming on for the blog!

First Book has given over 50 million books away to children in need.

Via Publishers Weekly.

1. Angela James
    Aug 06, 2007 @ 13:19:47

I have, amazingly enough, read all but one of those. Go, Dog, Go by P.D. Eastman

and your daughter might like Harold and the Purple Crayon

2. Marianne
    Aug 06, 2007 @ 14:05:07

I’ve read them all except “The Babysitters Club” and “Amelia Bedelia” — Many of them I’ve recently re-read with my DD. What a great list!

3. erastes
    Aug 06, 2007 @ 14:59:34

I have no idea what the name of the one that got me hooked on reading. I was about six months old and the book was made of cloth!

4. Veronica Wolff
    Aug 06, 2007 @ 17:45:36

I loved all the Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume books, but it was Trixie Belden who first had me sneaking books after bedtime.

5. Charlene Teglia
    Aug 06, 2007 @ 19:07:08

Oh, I love Where The Sidewalk Ends. It has Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout who would not take the garbage out! Hilarious. I’ve read them all. The book I was hooked on at 3-4 was Courduroy, which I don’t see on the list. I bought that for my daughter when she was 3.

6. Angela
    Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:46:57

The Baby-sitter’s Club series saved my life. *g* And I have to second the recommendation of Beverly Cleary–I adored Ramona. And I definitely have to add Phyllis Reynolds Naylor–I still follow her Alice series to this day after reading the first book twelve years ago.

7. Kate Davies
    Aug 07, 2007 @ 01:48:03

Go Dog, Go! Oh, Angie, you really should get that one. My kids LOOOOVE it. Especially the party in the tree.

I’ve read all but a handful on the list, and now feel an overwhelming urge to track them down and give them a try.

Thanks for pointing out a great list!

8. Sara Dennis
    Aug 07, 2007 @ 12:22:46

Oh, wow. Goodnight Moon. I think I read through several copies of that book as a kid, since it was part of the bedtime ritual.