Cedar Rapids Library Seeks Books for Donation

p016757-1.jpg

Cedar Rapids, Iowa suffered a terrible flood this summer and as a result the Cedar Rapids Public Library was nearly destroyed.  Federal funds are being used to rebuild but there are no funds to replace the 20,000-30,000 books destroyed as a result of the water damage.  If you want to donate books for the library or items that are suitable for sale on eBay to raise funds, you can send those to Mystery Cat Books at 112 32ndSt S.E., Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 52403.

1. Mary Winter
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 02:40:12

Oh thank you for posting this. I was hoping to get this information for my grandma who has a bunch of Steeple Hill books that she was going to give me to take to the UBS for her. I hadn’t had the chance yet to look up the information, but thought the books might be better served by going to the CR Library.

BTW – I posted interior pics from the CR Gazette on my blog back in June here: http://www.marywinter.com/?p=393

2. Jayne
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 07:01:19

Holy [bleep]! Oh, that’s painful to look at.

3. Shiloh Walker
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 09:34:31

oh hey…now I can do that…

4. Randi
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 09:41:49

I think I can do that, too.

5. Randi
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 09:43:45

Oh, you know, if anyone’s interested, Borders currently has a nifty sale on. As you walk in the front of the store, they have a bunch of books stickered at $3.99. The sale is, buy one of those, get the second free. So that’s two books for $4! I think I can pick up some and send them to Cedar Rapids.

(as an aside, I randomly picked a bunch for myself, and have so far been thoroughly entertained!)

6. Ann-Kat
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 10:24:43

Time for me to spend some time cleaning off my bookshelf. And Randi, that’s a pretty good idea there, may just have to try that.

7. Marsha
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 11:09:58

My daughter’s preschool is holding their “Barnes and Noble Bookfair” in a couple weeks. I’ll be sure to add a few extra books to my purchase to send to Cedar Rapids. Looking at the source article it looks like they may keep them or sell them – whatever they decide is fine with me. They get books or money and my daughter’s school gets a bit of fundraising, no downside as far as I can see.

Except, perhaps, to my wallet – I can never say no to a reason to buy more, more, MORE! books, even if they’re not for me. My list for the fair includes books for the local clinic to give to young patrons throughout the winter gift-giving season, books to tuck into this year’s Angel Tree packages, books to send to service people and their children, books to give to my own kids and now books to send to Cedar Rapids. Spread the love, I always say.

8. Nicole
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 15:57:09

Oh thank you for posting this! I was just going to email you about posting something about the plight of our library (I’m in Cedar Rapids).

They’re having a big booksale in a week or so and we’ve donated books from work for it.

I’ve always loved this library.

9. J
    Nov 13, 2008 @ 11:19:55

Thanks so much for posting this — Cedar Rapids’ is a wonderful library, and we all miss it being at full strength.

The staff also maintains an Amazon wish list here where well-wishers can purchase needed items that go directly to the library to help replenish the collection.