Borders Allows Customers to Use Digital Coupons at the Brick and...

I don’t know of other retailers allowing this but I think it is a great idea. Borders will send mobile alerts to your cell phone complete with special offers and coupons to be used straight from the cell phone. This way you don’t have to go back home to get that 30% off coupon before buying that hardcover you’ve been waffling about because the coupon will always be with you.

You have to be able to accept text messages and obviously be willing to give up your phone number to Borders, but for me, it’s worth it. Of course, I gave all my information to HarperCollins in an effort to win a free SAK bag. I’m pretty easy that way.

Thanks Jayne for the tip.

1. Angela James
    Jul 08, 2008 @ 09:21:30

I got an error message when I input my info, so I’ll try again later, but I had to laugh because I was in DC a few weeks ago, and realized I’d forgotten my Borders coupons (we don’t have on near me). I had to email the friend I was meeting for lunch the next day and ask her to print me off a couple and bring them to lunch! So this is really a brilliant idea and I’ll definitly be signing up.

2. KCfla
    Jul 08, 2008 @ 09:46:55

I just wish B&N, or BAM would do the same ( as I don’t have a Border’s near me). I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had a coupon for a book and forgot it on the day I went to the store.

3. Melissa
    Jul 08, 2008 @ 13:02:24

I have been getting the messages for a while now. It is fabulous since I was forever forgetting coupons or throwing away expired coupons forgotten in my purse!

4. Vanessa
    Jul 08, 2008 @ 13:32:54

Yeah, I was stalking their website some weeks back and noticed this, gave them my number asap. This is the most convenient thing to ever happen to my life lol However, you’d think that the employees would know what to do with the coupons when you come in. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve gone up with my cell fone and all I get are blank looks :/

5. Julie Hurwitz
    Jul 08, 2008 @ 16:01:17

Ditto to what Melissa said.

And Vanessa, I think it depends on the employee and the store. A couple of times I got totally blank looks. But others they seemed excited that I was using the text coupon.

6. DS
    Jul 08, 2008 @ 17:04:39

I’m a great forgetter of coupons also so it was great to be able to bring up the text message and show it to the clerk. Highly recommended. At the rate Borders sends out coupons whole trees may be saved.

7. Tina Burns
    Jul 10, 2008 @ 17:00:45

I’ve used this three times already and LOVE it. I just got a txt today saying I had 25% off something until July 18th. Guess where I’m stopping on the way home?

8. Jess
    Jul 12, 2008 @ 07:50:17

In the few instances when I have forgotten the paper coupon issued through Border Rewards, the Borders clerk just asked for my Rewards number or the associated email address to confirm membership; then he/she applied the coupon.

9. Angela James
    Jul 12, 2008 @ 07:59:46

I’m bummed. I’ve been getting text spam on my phone (bleh!) so I had to block all text messages sent in the manner that businesses use to text offers like this. Stupid spammers.