Big Money Yields Same Exact Results

We readers have lamented about the over use of stock images resulting in look alike covers. Apparently, this can happen with expensive (six figure +) media campaigns.

This fall, we will be treated to a new HBO show featuring Sookie Stackhouse based on works of Charlaine Harris. Apparently Sookie and her bloodthirsty-ness will appear in a movie, Jennifer’s Body written by Diablo Coby.

I have to confess that I have wondered at the movie poster because, well, the Sookie we know isn’t a bloodsucker. Will True Blood be something totally different? SB Sarah says she’s seen the ads for Sookie’s TV show everywhere.

1. Popin
    Aug 06, 2008 @ 12:58:04

Is it just me, or does the fang in the True Blood poster seem a little too close to the front teeth.

While the covers are similar, I think they convey different things so it seems different. True Blood, you can tell it’s about Vampires. While Jennifer’s Body isn’t, it also looks like something to do with a high school.

2. Teddypig
    Aug 06, 2008 @ 13:11:32

Buffy? Is that you?

3. Randi
    Aug 06, 2008 @ 13:55:07

I’m confused. There’s going to be a Sookie show AND movie? I think they could have gone with advertising, for either of them, with something similar to Pushing Daisies. The Sookie books always held a sort of surreal brightness for me; like Pushing Daisies.

4. Kalen Hughes
    Aug 06, 2008 @ 14:14:35

Jennifer’s Body has nothing to do with vampires or Sookie. From IMDB:

A newly possessed cheerleader turns into a killer who specializes in offing her male classmates. Can her best friend put an end to the horror?

That said, I’m confused about the True Blood show too. But given that it’s from the guy who brought us 6 Feet Under (which rocked for the first few seasons), I’m willing to give it a try.

5. Kitty
    Aug 06, 2008 @ 14:39:50

Okay, this isn’t a case of stock photography being used. The people at Fox Marketing apparently feel like their idea for the Jennifer’s Body poster got ripped off. It’s hard to know which came first, but I know the JB poster was created using a photograph of Megan Fox (the star of the movie) and it’s supposed to give the impression that the movie is gory and bloody (it is – the title character becomes a flesh-eating demon).

6. Has
    Aug 06, 2008 @ 15:28:36

Someone blogged about this the other day

Angelina Jolie was the first to pose with the blood in the mouth but it seems to be gaining in popularity but like the blogger says – blame Angie :D

7. Randi
    Aug 06, 2008 @ 15:42:00

I thought we were supposed to always blame Gisselle?

8. Catherine
    Aug 07, 2008 @ 00:24:30

Similar or not I’m definitely more drawn to the True Blood one. Something about the teeth of the other one… faintly repulsing. Weird.

9. Leeann Burke
    Aug 07, 2008 @ 09:37:23

I have to say between both posters I prefer the True Blood one better.

10. Katrina Strauss
    Aug 07, 2008 @ 10:00:35

The TrueBlood poster is nice and I’m happy to hear the upcoming HBO series is receiving some high dollar media blitz. On the other hand, I am wondering how exactly this captures the downhome Southern gothic charm of the Sookie books? But I’m not the one with the marketing degree, so what do I know…

11. Jessa Slade
    Aug 07, 2008 @ 10:26:06

I’m a newcomer to the Sookie scene and I was excited to hear about the show. I agree (and speaking of devils & demons, I do marketing for my day job) that the True Blood poster doesn’t really capture the flavor the books. Um, other than the flavor of blood apparently. Even the colors aren’t right. Kinda muddy.

If you look around from women’s magazines to online avatars, the lips image repeats a lot in various permutations. Apparently it sells. Add blood and you get sex AND violence in one tidy package. Marketing perfection.

12. WandaSue
    Aug 07, 2008 @ 13:13:47

The tongue of the “True Blood” poster looks … rather phallic.

13. Sookie
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 11:56:17

True Blood Rocks and Jennifer’s Body Sucks. They made lots of changes in books when they make it on TV. It’s quite annoying sometimes, but then the TV series won’t be exciting as it is if it’s purely base on the book.

True Blood Rocks!