Bertrice Small, Roberta Gellis, and Jennifer Blake to Host Plagiarism and...

In one of the most positive things to come out of Savage Gate, heavyweight authors Bertrice Small, Roberta Gellis and Jennifer Blake will be teaching a new seminar at the 2008 Romantic Times about writing a historical without plagiarism.

While the change has not yet appeared on the RT BookLovers Convention webpage, Bitchery reader Kay has forwarded me some information that Romantic Times sent out earlier today. It seems they’ve added a session with Bertrice Small on research without plagiarism. According to the post at Smart Bitches, the announcement reads as follows:

Also new to the agenda- Bertrice Small has rounded up her fellow historical romance buddies Roberta Gellis and Jennifer Blake to present a research workshop of a different kind-‘How to Use Historical Facts Without Crossing the Line Into Plagiarism. Bertrice feels it’s necessary for historical romance authors to know what’s acceptable and what is not when embellishing your fiction with historical facts.

Kudos to all those Bertrice Small for spearheading this seminar and for taking the extra step in educating those within the writing community about this important topic. I’m off to buy some books now to support these authors.

RWA, the spotlight’s on you now.

Via SBTB.

1. Robin
    Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:31:19

Speaking, as we have been recently, about personalization between authors and readers and the varieties of fandom, this is one of those cases where I have to say that I am personally a big fan of what these authors are doing — their initiative and collective clout and timely responsiveness.

2. Susan Helene Gottfried
    Jan 30, 2008 @ 22:40:38

Gah. The RT people need to stop with all the fantastic-sounding things to do at the convention. I’m still trying to figure out how to clone two of me so I don’t miss things, and now they go and add THESE??

No fair.

3. Bev Stephans
    Jan 30, 2008 @ 23:00:17

I would say that this is, “Taking the bull by the horns” but it’s more like grabbing “The ferrets by their feet”!

4. Keishon
    Jan 30, 2008 @ 23:13:01

I'm off to buy some books now to support these authors.

This is great. Let me recommend to you, A Mortal Bane by Roberta Gellis, followed by A Personal Devil, and A Bone of Contention and she did publish A Mortal Folly that I haven’t read yet, by another publisher;I think that is the title. I love this series and they are not in ebook, I’m afraid. Hope you do get to read one of Gellis’s books as I think she is awesome and she is the right choice to do this seminar since her books are trademarked for being heavy handed on the research and historical accuracy in her books. I haven’t read the other two authors.

5. Robin
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 01:03:38

I haven't read the other two authors.

I’m not a fan of Small’s more recent books, but I read Skye O’Malley and it definitely had that epic feeling and contained a lot of detail about the Elizabethan court, especially details about dress and food and political relationships. It sure felt authentic, although I’m no expert in the time field. I read one Jennifer Blake book, Arrow to the Heart, which was set in late 19th C Louisiana, IIRC, and it also had that epic quality to it, as well. Ah, how I miss those melodramatic epic-scope historicals.

6. Roslynholcomb
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 11:26:38

Gellis’ Roselynde series is hands-down the best medieval series I’ve ever read. Her Heiress series about the Napoleonic wars is equally phenomenal. I am like her biggest fangirl. Unfortunately abject poverty means I won’t be able to attend this landmark event. If there was a market for shopworn organs, I would sell a kidney to attend.

7. Gwen
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 14:44:20

I’m also a huge fan of Gellis’ Roselynde series. One of my first historicals and it just STUCK. So many scenes from it I can still picture in my head. Loved the flavor of the first one, especially.

I’m actually quite glad to see that authors and RT are taking the bull by the horns, so to speak, and offering a constructive solution to what has got to be a difficult issue to tackle.

8. Nikki
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 22:33:01

I never thought I’d say this but, man, I wish I was going to RT.

It’s sad a workshop like this would be necessary. Well done, RT, for stepping up.

I really hope RWA does something similar in SF. And I’ll definitely be *there*.

9. Anon76
    Feb 01, 2008 @ 11:06:17

This is exactly the type of positive response (I’m assuming) most author/readers hoped for regarding the Savagegate issue.

To bring the issue into the glaring light of reality, and deal with it head-on. To teach others how incorporating history into your manuscript can be done without plagiarising your source materials.

Brava!

10. SAM
    Feb 09, 2008 @ 04:21:27

If everyone is waiting for Bertrice and friends to attack Ms. Edwards you are all in for a surprise.