Barnes & Noble eStore Will Price Match Amazon

From a reader at Information Week, Barnes and Noble’s eBookstore aka Fictionwise + eReader will match the prices offered at Amazon.   Now if Fictionwise could only get its act in gear and offer the books that are released this week in a timely fashion.   Hard to get excited about good prices when significant books are missing from the ebookstore.

Here is the info I got from them in their weekly email yesterday.

• All  new eBooks are $9.95 or less.
  • No eBook over $12.95. They aren’t moving all ebooks to $9.95 or less, only newly published ones. Cutting to $12.95 is a substantial cut for many older books though.
  • All books on the New York Times Bestseller list are $9.95, whether it is new or has been there a while.
  • 15% rewards on each purchase.

Via Publishers’ Weekly.

1. DS
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 10:39:19

It looks like publishers are losing out on their fight against the $9.95 price point.

2. Kalen Hughes
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 11:21:28

Now if Fictionwise could only get its act in gear and offer the books that are released this week in a timely fashion. Hard to get excited about good prices when significant books are missing from the ebookstore.

No sh*t. I went looking for 3 differnt books that are out this week (one of them out last week) and NONE of them is on Fictionwise yet . . . it really ticks me off.

3. Kalen Hughes
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 12:00:14

They don’t appear to be matching the “free” price on the books that are free for the Kindle . . .

4. Rebecca J
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 13:08:14

Does anyone know if you can use your Barnes & Noble giftcard at Fictionwise?

Jul 01, 2009 @ 13:33:33

@Rebecca J I don’t know. You could always fill up your cart and enter in the Gift card number at the promo code section to see if it works.

6. Danielle
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 13:58:01

A lot of books that I want to order from Fictionwise are in the “secured” format which means I can’t download them on my Sony Reader or iTouch. I wonder if this means more books will be available as “MultiFormat” on their website.

Jul 01, 2009 @ 14:00:02

@Danielle If you buy in secure ereader format you can read those books on your Itouch via stanza or ereader app

8. Danielle
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 15:23:45

by Jane July 1st, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Thanks, I didn’t know that.

9. Mischa
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 16:00:06

I wonder when they are going to start the new prices? As of right now, their New eBooks list still has over 50 books priced >= $15.

10. Keishon
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 16:43:57

ereader.com has already implemented the price changes. Fictionwise, as usual, is behind on making these changes. Sigh.

11. Azure
    Jul 01, 2009 @ 16:46:53

@Mischa: I was wondering that myself. I’d been thinking about buying Hester Browne’s newest book, but it’s still $20 at Fictionwise. However, it is listed at $12.95 at eReader, but I’d just as soon not have to use that.

Is it absolutely certain that Fictionwise is also going to drop its prices, or is this limited to eReader? I read another article that seemed to indicate eReader was the only store making the changes.

12. ShellBell
    Jul 03, 2009 @ 16:24:03

Would have loved to have been able to take advantage of this but the 3 new releases that I selected had ‘geographical restrictions’! These geographical restrictions are beginning to be the bane of my life, especially when the books are already available in New Zealand in print format. Oh well, more lost sales for the authors and Fictionwise as I head off to the library.