Aspiring Authors: Want an Editor for a Year

Harlequin Presents is moving up its production schedule to 12 books a month. Mind boggling, no? In order to meet the apparently increased demand, HP is looking for new authors. Presents is inviting unpublished authors to submit a first chapter. The submissions must be made on-line from January 1st to February 14 2008. The grand prize is the services of an editor for one year.

Entries should comprise of the first chapter and a synopsis of a previously unpublished/unsubmitted novel aimed at Harlequin Presents.

Address for entries: [email protected]

1. Jia
    Nov 28, 2007 @ 13:23:08

I read about this earlier today. It just blows my mind that the market can support 12 books a month for one line.

2. EC Sheedy
    Nov 28, 2007 @ 13:44:47

If I were still in the aspiring stage–which come to think of it, I always kind of am :-)–I would enter this contest. I’ve always heard that Harlequin Presents had the best–and largest–distribution system in the world. These romances are much loved and sell absolutely everywhere!

Am I right, Harlequin Presents authors?

3. sherry thomas
    Nov 28, 2007 @ 22:57:18

Is HP the line with the multiplicity of semi-exotic heroes? I’d better brush up on my knowledge of Spain and Greece in that case. Oh, heck, forget those. I’m going for the Russian and Chinese tycoons.

4. Michelle Styles
    Nov 29, 2007 @ 10:57:55

Harlequin Presents is the engine room of Harlequin Enterprises. It is the most popular line by far and the most widely reprinted. For example, when Harlequin officially went into India this month, Moderns (Presents) led the way.

I believe the editors were very pleased and delighted about the market being able to support 12 books. Two of these books will be the Modern Heats aka old temptations.

The contest is a wonderful opportunity for any aspiring who wishes to write for Presents or for Modern Heat. The editors are giving lots of advice on I heart Presents about what they are looking for.

I would think Russian and Chinese tycoons would be a harder sell than some other sorts of heroes, but really it is the quality of the voice and the compellingness of the relationship.

FWIW

Michelle Styles who knows a little tiny bit about Harlequin. ;)

5. bam
    Nov 29, 2007 @ 11:49:28

hmm. I have not read an HP in a while. What’s the trope again?

6. bam
    Nov 29, 2007 @ 11:53:37

Although grounded in reality and reflective of contemporary, relevant trends, these fast-paced stories are essentially escapist romantic fantasies that take the reader on an emotional roller-coaster ride. Written in the third person, they can be from the male or female point of view, or seen through the eyes of both protagonists. All are set in sophisticated, glamorous, international locations.

With its focus on strong, wealthy, breathtakingly charismatic alpha-heroes who are tamed by spirited, independent heroines, the central relationship in a Presents novel is a provocatively passionate, highly charged affair, driven by conflict, emotional intensity and overwhelming physical attraction, which may include explicit lovemaking.

Hmm… I wonder if Canada is international enough. The Canadian Videogame Designer’s Mistress

I’m throwing my hat in!

Nov 29, 2007 @ 12:29:21

Bam – I think you could write an awesome HP.

8. bam
    Nov 29, 2007 @ 13:20:25

why thank you, jane. I happen to have an awesome idea.

9. Meljean
    Nov 29, 2007 @ 13:47:31

Bam — doooo eeeeeit!

I’ve noticed quite a few new Presents authors lately. I got a chance to read some while my daughter was sick — India Grey’s debut (THE ITALIAN’S DEFIANT MISTRESS) was one of the better Presents I’ve read in a while.

10. Lynne
    Nov 29, 2007 @ 19:02:35

Bam said,

I wonder if Canada is international enough. The Canadian Videogame Designer's Mistress…

I would SO buy that!

11. Kate Walker
    Dec 01, 2007 @ 04:18:13

Bam – there are plenty of Presents books set in Canada and two established Canadian authors – Catherine Spencer and Sandra Field.

There are also lots of USA based romances – the nurban myth that no USA authors or settings a re bought is just that – a myth. There are authors from USA UK Australia and to everyone who lives in a different country, another country is international.

The best way to find out exactly the types of settings and countries isz to read the books that are currently being published and the authors who are popular

12. JACLYN VIEIRA DI BONA
    Jan 14, 2008 @ 13:36:42

FROM EHARLEQUIN.COM I BUY ANYWHERE FROM 8-10 BOOKS A MONTH WHICH I ENJOY READING. TO BE ABLE TO SEE ONE OF MY BOOKS ON HARLEQUIN PRESENTS OR ON ANY OF HARLEQUIN OR SILHOUETTE LINES ON EHARLEQUIN.COM, I THINK THAT I CAN SAY: I DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN.
    JACLYN

13. Dolores
    Jan 20, 2008 @ 15:49:50

Is the format of this manuscript the same from the Harlequin “Writing Guidelines“? How many pages/words should the book have? Thank you.