Amazon Kindle $109.99 Refurbished

I don’t have a full news thing today but figured readers of the blog would like to know of this deal. Amazon is selling refurbished Kindles for $109.99. Here is the link.

Edited to add:   I ordered the $139.99 refurbished Kindle   two weeks ago.   I   called today and Amazon credited me the difference.   I have really enjoyed by refurbished Kindle and I don’t know how you can tell a new one from a refurbished one.   It comes in a sealed box and looks perfectly new.   No damage anywhere.

1. Tweets that mention Amazon Kindle $109.99 Refurbished | Dear Author -- Topsy.com
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:10:26

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by jaciburton, Serena Mea and Liz Fichera. Liz Fichera said: Holy Moly! The price keeps dropping => RT @dearauthor New post: Amazon Kindle $109.99 Refurbished http://bit.ly/9MmYmM [...]

2. gwen hayes
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:12:25

That is awesome. I bought the refurbed one at $140 last month and have not had any problems with it. So, if anyone is worried that about quality, I can tell you mine works really well.

3. Vi
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:14:04

Jane, can you tell by the description which generation Kindle it is?

Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:18:17

@Vi From the picture, it looks like the Kindle 2.

5. Vi
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:23:06

@Jane. Thank you. I need to study up on the differences amongst the generations.

6. Sarah
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:34:55

I did it. I bought one. My first e-reader. I am shocked at myself but when I saw the $109.99 price I couldn’t pass it up. That is cheap and I’ve been leaning towards the Kindle.

7. jmc
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:43:58

I killed my Kindle a few weeks ago and was wibbling about whether to replace it. Can’t beat that refurbished price…although I’m assuming more price drops may appear in the future :)

8. Moriah Jovan
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 10:54:37

I should probably delete the word “never” from my vocabulary.

Got one.

9. Joanne
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 11:58:17

I would have totally missed that price if not for your post Jane, thank you. My present ereader has been a work horse but I love the fast and easy kindle books so another sale by DA.

(I’m not mentioning, not even doing a mini whine about the $9 flippin’ dollars in NY State sales tax. See, I’m not complaining at all.)

Thanks again.

10. Karenmc
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 12:41:17

That’s a great price, but I’m still holding off. My ipod Touch works for now, and the technology is changing too quickly. Also, since the pricing change in April, I’m not buying as many ebooks.

11. Gina
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 12:59:26

I’m going to shoot off on a tangent about ebooks – this morning I’m reading about this diet book on Rachel Ray, if you order from the publisher you get 3 “gifts” – total price is 4 payments of $7.99 (plus tax, plus shipping). I’m think $32 plus? Where’s the free?

So I go to Barnes and Noble to see that it retails for $11.50 (much better than $32) and look a digital copy for…. $12.89 huh?

I didn’t buy the book because I just couldn’t past the idea that the digital version was more expensive – even by pennies – then a physical version. And even though my collection of mint condition, never used diet books can always use a new addition, the whole pricing inconsistency has negated the potential health benefits.

Ok… tangent over.

12. Tim
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 13:27:08

I just purchased one too. Now my wife and I won’t have to share. The model that is being sold as refurbished is a Kindle 2 US model (so no international wireless connectivity).

It uses Sprint instead of AT&T (latest gen international), but other than that, it’s identical to a new one that you’d buy today. http://ireaderreview.com/2009/10/08/kindle-us-vs-kindle-international/

@Vi:

13. Lindsey
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 13:41:41

Ahh, thank you so much for this link! I was planning on getting one for myself for Christmas/my birthday, but I think I’ll call it a “Christmas in July” present, and get it now. <3

14. Vi
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 14:17:45

Thank you Tim for the info! Still thinking about it……

15. Preeti
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 19:56:00

I hadn’t been looking at Kindles but this is an awesome price. Do they read ePubs? And how do you get your existing (non-DRM) epubs from your laptop onto the Kindle? (I have no plans to purchase Kindle books.) The click-through link mentioned no cords.

Jul 12, 2010 @ 20:13:25

@Preeti: It does not read epub. You’ll have to convert using Calibre. The device comes with a charger and a USB. It mounts onto your computer like an external harddrive. You can use Calibre’s “send to device” or email yourself the converted file.

17. Miki S
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 20:13:48

@Preeti:

The Kindle doesn’t read ePub. So you’d have to convert them to mobi/prc for the Kindle to read them.

18. Sarah
    Jul 12, 2010 @ 22:02:50

Shame, now they seem to have sold out :(
    I’m too late. Maybe next time…

19. Lucy
    Jul 13, 2010 @ 09:13:09

Bought one yesterday. Still have a Kindle 1 but will gift it to someone.