12 of 28 Employees Axed at LiveJournal: Start Backing Up Now

According to Gawker, LiveJournal has fired 20  12* of 28 employees.

The company’s product managers and engineers were laid off, leaving only a handful of finance and operations workers � which speaks to a website to be left on life support.

If you haven’t backed up your LiveJournal articles, it might be time to do so.
*early reports were wildy exaggerated but it’s still a good idea to back up now.

1. Angie
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 09:40:43

According to someone closer to the events than the Gawker, 13 employees are going and 17 are staying, so it’s not quite the slaughter reported. That said, though, keeping back-ups is always a good idea, and there are some tools that make it fast and easy. (At least for Windows — I don’t know about the Mac side.)

Angie

2. Emmy
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 09:45:56

I’ve read the journals of some of the people laid off…oddly, they’re still using LJ themselves…and it does seem to be a hot mess.

Interestingly, they just had a drive in December to sell paid lifetime memberships- for $175 a pop. Bet the people who actually laid out the cash weren’t expecting that “lifetime” to translate into “a few months”.

3. (Jān)
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 11:18:46

Well, hell. Good thing I have mirror accounts on InsaneJournal.

Emmy, can you share any of the LJs you’ve been reading? I have a couple of communities I maintain there and would like to keep a close watch.

4. (Jān)
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 12:52:48

There’s a press release now:

It seems LJ product will now be maintained out of Moscow. I am extremely uncomfortable with that. It long been speculated that the owner, who is close friends with Putin, wishes to shut down the Russian dissidents because one of the last remaining forums for them is LJ. It’s known that the Russians had secretly placed monitors on Russian journals to track activity, secretly until they were caught that is. Now they can do whatever they want with the software. I feel sorry for the Russian members.

5. Cathy
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 15:25:27

It seems LJ product will now be maintained out of Moscow. I am extremely uncomfortable with that. It long been speculated that the owner, who is close friends with Putin, wishes to shut down the Russian dissidents because one of the last remaining forums for them is LJ. It's known that the Russians had secretly placed monitors on Russian journals to track activity, secretly until they were caught that is. Now they can do whatever they want with the software. I feel sorry for the Russian members.

This is really interesting. And, also, very weird. I feel like I just walked into a 50’s spy novel. I’m definitely going to start looking at alternatives for my blogging.

6. (Jān)
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 15:36:28

I know. I didn’t believe it until I saw the code (programming code that is). But my Eastern Block friends and especially my Russian friends keep telling me you can never be too paranoid about the Russian government or mafia.

Now I keep imagining the head of SUP with a white Persian cat on his lap. ;D

7. Emmy
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 16:17:03

This guy said his fiancee got fired with no notice whatsoever.

8. Emmy
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 16:21:53

But it’s hard to pick through actual news vs the hysterical screaming of “ZOMG, this is my Only Social Interaction with the Universe!!1! If LJ goes Away, i shall has NO Friends!!!!”

9. Ann Somerville
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 16:34:57

Good thing I have mirror accounts on InsaneJournal.

Better to move away from LJ clones entirely. I’m ever so glad I set up my blog on my own site. Though I need to back up years of LJ entries – lot of memories there.

10. Karin
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 17:20:12

Wow. This whole thing is rather odd. It makes me happy that I rarely ever went to LiveJournal.

11. SonomaLass
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 18:02:36

The link says 12 of 28, which is less frightening than 20 of 28. But it is still scary for people who use LJ a lot. I’ve passed the warning along to those I know in that category.

12. Julia Sullivan
    Jan 06, 2009 @ 19:43:12

Yes, the “20 out of 28″ thing was pretty wack, and then correcting it without a disclaimer as they did made Gawker/Valleywag look like maroons.

Jan 06, 2009 @ 19:48:51

@Julia Sullivan: I thought it said 20 out of 28 this morning.

14. Anion
    Jan 07, 2009 @ 03:47:35

Could someone provide a link or something to how to back up entries? My professional lj is mirrored on my site, but my old personal journal, which I kept throughout my second pregnancy and beyond… I’d really hate to lose that.

15. Angie
    Jan 07, 2009 @ 03:52:05

@14 Anion — I use ljArchive, which saves both posts and comments. Info and links are here. Particularly note Caveat 2, about how you have to have the .NET framework installed; do that first.

This is PC/Windows, BTW. I don’t have any info for Mac users.

Angie

16. Ann Somerville
    Jan 07, 2009 @ 03:54:53

This report says 12 employees represents about a fifth of the workforce, so it’s not as drastic as early reports indicated.

@Anion:
    Are you a Mac or PC user? This is for Windows users:

Mac users can use Xjournal’s history feature to download their journal

17. (Jān)
    Jan 07, 2009 @ 04:33:19

The most recent versions of ljarchive are now kept at sourceforge:

LJarchive

For Macs you can use Ljmigrate and tell it not to migrate so it just downloads a backup:
    Ljmigrate