First Page: deleted as piece is already published

Deleted for failing to abide by submission guidelines.

1. Donna Thorland
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 07:05:36

2. theo
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 09:23:41

No sense in commenting on it then, is there?

Jan 04, 2014 @ 09:40:26

Well crappy. I thought about go ogling it but given that I emailed the author I figured nah.

4. Carolyne
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 09:48:43

Aw, too bad. Is it just that there’s such a backlog it takes a while for a First Page to appear, so it might have ended up published in the meantime?

I have a couple of things knocking around and in absolutely no danger of being published soon :) But my stories tend to start with such a slow burn, I don’t know if they’d work well for First Page critique. On the other hand…maybe because they start slowly, First Page critique is exactly what they need, to see if readers will still stick it out. And thus I’ve answered my own question about whether or not to submit something :P

Jan 04, 2014 @ 09:51:33

There is a backlog but all submitters are emailed before the piece is published

6. theo
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 09:57:16

@Carolyne: @Jane: I don’t know how far back the backlog goes, but this is the SECOND in a series. They were both published December 21st. She should have emailed you and asked to be taken out of the queue.

7. Dreamah H Lockwood
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 11:01:32

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize the piece is submitted had to be unpublished. Your group critiqued my first page of A CIRCLE OF MURDERS and per you advice, I made a lot of changes. I am working on a new unpublished novel that I would like to submit the first page.

8. Viridian
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 13:02:06

This is random, but.

I submitted two first pages here before and got awesome advice both times, but I didn’t want to clog up the queue further. A writer (can’t remember who, but thanks if you know who you are!) recommended I try AbsoluteWrite.com.

- You can get feedback very quickly, usually ~10 responses withing 2-3 days. Good for looming deadlines / close publication dates.
    - More detailed critiques. Some people will work through your work line-by-line.
    - Wide variety of opinions.
    - Often unhelpful opinions, though.
    - You can post revisions and receive continued feedback on what has improved and what has not.
    - There are threads where you can post the first 200 words of your first page to see what immediately grabs the reader and makes them continue on.
    - … as well as posting your first page, or any excerpts you would like help on.
    - Downside: someone people are rude rather than helpful.
    - It’s a requirement that you be an active community member before you are allowed to post your own work for critique.

Anyway, I loved the help I got here on DearAuthor, but AbsoluteWrite is a good website if you’re looking for something you need help on quickly before it’s published. No need to fill the queue with something already published, or that will be published soon.

9. Carolyne
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 13:51:40

@Viridian: I had no idea AbsoluteWrite has a critiquing section. Thanks, good to know.

10. Viridian
    Jan 04, 2014 @ 14:25:57

Yep. There’s a “Share Your Work” area in the forums, which is then divided into specific genres. Password protected, but the password is given right beneath the forum name, funnily enough (I guess they do that just so search engines can’t pick up posts there).

The romance section is less active than I expected, but excerpts and first pages generally end up with 7-12 responses, about the same as here. (I like new people. Somebody come post stuff.)