A Few of My Favorite Apps

In this post, I’m sharing apps I use and like. I’ll even list apps I got all excited about and then …. :::crickets:::

Because–and tell me if this happens to you–there are apps that sound like they will change your life from awesomeness, and then you get it and even pony up a few dollars, and then, what’s this? It’s not magic?

You can lead a disorganized person to the Organization app, but you can’t make him sort his receipts.
–JSON

Most of these apps have Android or other OS analogues, but a few are iThing-specific since they solve some iThing-only issues.

My criteria for “useful” is this: 1. Easy to use. 2. Easy to set up/no set up 3. Doesn’t require anything else but updates. 4. Stays out of my way. 5. Worth the money if it’s not a free app.

Apps I Use

Alarm Clock: Alarm Clock Company. Kind of obvious. I like that I can change the color of the display. You can set a nice chime or a klaxon. Shrug.

Who would use this app: People who are paranoid about waking up on time or who get easily bored with the same old display all the time.

aSender: Get the email app on iPhone to send attachments. Who at Apple thought no one would be sending attachments? Kind of klunky, but it works.

Who would use this app: iThing users who need to send attachments other than images.

Calculator: I calculate stuff. Like tips and other math stuff. Works. Keeps out of the way mostly.

Who would use this app: People who don’t trust math results in their head.

CloudOn: Makes your Microsoft Office documents editable in iThings. There are competing apps, but I’ve used this and it works.

Who would use this app:  iThing users who also use MS Office.

Dropbox: File manager. I expect I don’t need to talk much about this. Let me know if I do.

Who would use this app: People who use dropbox.

Freedome: This is a VPN (Virtual Private Network) that I heard about in time to get in on a use-for-6-months-free deal. My six months are almost up and I expect to purchase. Once it’s set up, which is pretty easy, you’re running in a VPN. I’ve noticed some battery life issues, but my phone is getting to end of life anyway.

Who would use this app: The security minded. Which should also be you. Maybe not this app, there are alternatives, but this is one I am using myself. FWIW. YMMV.

Hue: Phillips. I use it daily. Because … lights. I have tried several other apps, but they seemed to have been designed by the kind of engineer who should never go any where near User Interface Design.

Who would use this app: People with Hue lights

Janetter Pro: A twitter client. It’s not perfect, but I’ve tried many other twitter apps (Hootsuite, Twitter, Echophone, and many that died away) and they were even less perfect. I use Janetter on my desktop, too.

Who would use this app: Tweeters

Jigsaw Puzzle Pro: I started with the free version, and upgraded to pay for this one. This app is best used on a tablet. I love jigsaw puzzles. I tried several before I found this one. The others were insultingly easy. This one lets you use your own photos as the basis for puzzles as well as giving you a large selection of puzzles that are free or can be purchased. For your own photos, the higher resolution the better, though you will be limited in the area you can select. Fun.

Who would use this app: Jigsaw Puzzle addicts

Kindle: Every day, people.

Who would use this app: Readers and book-buyers

LastPass: This is the password manager I use. I wish it could be embedded in Safari on my iThings. But even without that, it’s a nice web browser on its own. You can copy and paste passwords into Safari, if need be, which is a possible security risk, but there you go. At least you can get to your super strong passwords…

Who would use this app: People already using LastPass.

Mailbox: This app currently is only for Gmail access, but they intend to add other email systems. It’s not perfect, but I keep using it because it makes it easier to manage the hell that is gmail. I can very quickly check gmail to see what’s there, and then swipe to remove emails I don’t want to see. You can also set actions on emails such as, “remind me about this email on X date” which is really handy.

Who would use this app: Anyone who finds Gmail to be a horror.

Marvin: eBook reader. Paid. This is a nice little app. I like it a lot. Also synchs with Dropbox and other services. I got it when it was free, but it’s worth the money.

Who would use this app: Readers.

Oblique: This is a weird one. It’s supposed to jump start your creativity, idea machine. And danged if it doesn’t. All it does is show you a phrase or sentence that is so New Age-y hoo-haw ish that you’re likely to laugh. And sometimes I do. But dang.

Who would use this app: Creative sorts. I guess.

Paper: 53 iPad only. Drawing app. If you are an artist, this is would be pretty super, I think. I am not an artist, but it’s a go-to app for me. I can “draw” (that’s draw in the sense that yes, I am drawing, but it ain’t art.) maps, sketch out ideas, write notes, and lists, and then erase all or parts. Make images for blog posts… I think it’s free, but you have to pay for the useful tools. Which are worth it. I bought the pencil, too. Then I just take a screenshot of my “art” and voila.

Terrible drawing that is vaguely cat-like. Or a mouse. It's hard to tell

Possibly Not Actual Art

Who would use this app: Artists. Non-artists who want customized images and are photoshop impaired.

Quordy: Word game. It’s word search with a really simple, elegant interface, and it has sounds (which you can turn off) and no ads and I’ve had this app for years. It’s way less annoying than the Zynga games. I love it. I play it all the time.

Who would use this app: Word search lovers

Shazam: If you can get your phone out and the app open in time, you can find out the name of the music you’re listening to in some store or what have you. I used this app to discover Nancy Arjam.

Who would use this app: People who would LOVE to buy a song they can’t identify.

VoiceDream: Voice Dream LLC This a reader app that costs money. It is designed for people who are sight impaired or have other vision issues, including dyslexia. The app extracts text from various document formats and reads it back. It also shows you where it is in the reading, so you can follow along. You can adjust how the document is displayed — crucial for many people. And you can purchase high quality voices for not a whole lot of money. It will connect to Dropbox and similar services.

You can customize a lot: the pronunciation of words, phrases, or names, the speed of the reading, and much more. My favorite voice so far is Micah. He has a Southern accent that disguises some of the imperfections inherent (so far) in digital voices.

Who would use this app: People with visual limitations or other reading disabilities. Anyone who’d like to proofread a document. Useful for anyone needing hands-free documents.

Note: Because I know this app may already be freaking out certain folks: There is an EXPLICIT exception in the US Copyright Act for  accommodating people who are visually impaired. There is no copyright violation in methods and means of making books available to the visually impaired. If you have a problem with this, in my opinion, you are a horrible person.

Further, this is not a substitute for a professionally narrated audio book. These voices are not actors.

YouMail: Voice mail. Their main selling point to potential customers is it’s ability to read you your voice mails. I’ve never ponied up for that. I did upgrade to a non-free version but now there’s yet another layer of pay, and, well, frankly, I find that confusing. What the?

The main reason I use this app is customized smart greetings and a visual voice mail box. Customized greetings means if you’re in my contacts and leave me a voice mail, the greeting says “Hello [Your name]” and it means you can customize greetings for specific calls.

I can actually SEE what voice mails I have. For a while some idiot was butt-dialing me and I got tired of nicely telling him to stop it. I was able to create a custom greeting for his calls in which I said “Dude, you are calling the wrong number, stop it.” And then send his calls right to the trash. It stopped his calls.

You get an email when you have a message AND you can check and listen to emails from your desktop. Nice.

Who would use this app: People looking for more functionality from their voice mail.

Apps that Sit There Making Me Feel Guilty

eReader. I never use it. Marvin is so nice…
Evernote. Just don’t, you know? I know I should be using this app. But I don’t.
Daedalus: This is a nice little writing app. But. Well. Dang. I don’t know.
GRID: This is supposed to be a creativity, mind mapping idea thingee. It defeats me.

Apps for You?

What apps do you actually use? Which ones have defeated you?

IAM JSON

Json is a longtime technology geek who has been, more or less in order, desktop support, Netware Admin, Network Administrator, web developer, lead web developer, data architect, database administrator. Json has a strong interest in network and computer security and currently works on the database end of software development. On the side, Json has set up a DocBooks workflow and would be done with the Hadoop install if Mongo db weren't so shiny.

1. Deb
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 07:17:35

Can you talk more about vpn? I think of it as something you use if you are lucky enough to have an employer who doesn’t think that working remotely would mean sitting on the couch eating bon bons. (Instead I can talk at length about various football teams, despite not having watched a game in 20 years. Thank you office life.)

But it sounds like you recommend vpn for everyone? Is it something you use anytime you are online, or just in certain situations? (I’m willing to be convinced but I’m also lazy.)

2. Ros
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 08:01:01

I have a Windows phone. The apps I use are: BBC News, Met Office (for weather reports), Kindle, Twitter, Facebook, ToDoIst Lite, Notes, and a handful of free games I occasionally get addicted to. I’ve been looking for a drawing/painting app but haven’t found one I really like.

Aug 17, 2014 @ 08:55:06

I’d love to know more about VPN. I think next week I’ll write about Evernote and why I love it so much because I do.

I wish WIndows had more apps. I think the problem with the Surface Pro is developers are like meh, I’ve already got a windows platform program not going to make another app for it.

4. Ros
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 09:00:52

Oh, actually the other app I use which is so helpful I almost forgot about it, is App Folder. It lets me have ‘folders’ on the homepage so I can access more apps than would normally fit there. I have one with all my games, for instance.

5. IAM JSON
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 09:23:49

@Everyone (heh)
    About the VPN App: Here is a link to the vendor: http://freedome.f-secure.com/en/home.html

It runs all the time and is set up in the phone settings. You’ll use the app only to set up how things are configured. Once you have it installed, it’s running all the time, so you don’t have to remember to use the app. You could turn it off from time to time, but that would not be secure while you have it off. There’s a little “vpn” icon at the top of your phone that will show you that it’s running.

Yes, a VPN is something that employers set up for employees who work remotely. I often do since my job requires me to be on call 24/7. If I’m looking at a server in the middle of the night it’s because there’s a problem, so my employer would rather have me able to do this remotely rather than have to drive into the office.

I actually do think everyone should be running in a VPN all the time. It would be awesome if this worked for desktops, too. Keep in mind that public wireless access points are insecure and you never know for sure whether it’s malicious or compromised or if someone might be sniffing all the traffic and grabbing your passwords etc.

The Silent Phone apps are worth looking at as well.

6. IAM JSON
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 09:25:32

@Jane: I am looking forward to your Evernote post. I need a kick in the pants on this one.

7. Sunita
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 10:11:09

I use a Windows phone, a Nexus 7 tablet, a Macbook Pro, and a Chromebook. Spread across them I have the following apps that haven’t been mentioned yet: an RSS reader that syncs with The Old Reader, Bing News, Bing Sports, MLB.com, Audible, the Guardian app, WordPress (I don’t post from my phone but it’s handy for monitoring spam and pending comments). Also MoonReader, Calibre, Google Drive, a couple of relaxation apps from Andrew Johnson (for short breaks and helping me get to sleep occasionally), and SiriusXM.

I have Scrivener on the Mac but haven’t used it much in the last few years. I like writing on a blank page, and I’ve tried a bunch of different apps. I started with WriteRoom and worked through others (I still have OmmWriter on my Mac), but now I just use Google Docs. It’s great for collaborative documents and I write in it an then add the formatting, tables, equations, footnotes, etc. in Word when I’m revising. The nice thing about Gdocs is that it makes collaboration with people who don’t have Office easier.

I use Evernote on every platform (including the Chromebook). I have recipe, blog, teaching and research-related folders on there. I regularly recommended it to students, especially when they’re working on multi-media assignments. They tend to use Gdocs or Evernote for group projects.

8. Sunita
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 10:17:03

I should add: when I list all these apps it seems like a lot, but the ones I use the most are the RSS reader, Google Drive and Docs, and Evernote. Oh, and Tweetbot (for Mac), Tweetdeck on the Chromebook, and the Twitter app on my phone. It’s why I’ve been able to use a dumbphone (with a little data) for the last 6 weeks without really feeling like I’m missing much. As long as I have email, text, and Twitter when I’m out and about, I’m pretty happy. I carry a planner/notebook combo at all times so I can write stuff down if I need to.

9. IAM JSON
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 10:26:33

@Sunita: I have a few reader apps: Flipbook, which is pretty but well — whatever. I find it hard to set it up the way I want. Reverb is a new one I’ve been trying out.

I also have one of the Johnson relaxation apps, but I’ve only used it a few times. Normally, at night I play Quordy until I fall asleep in the middle of it.

10. Darlynne
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 12:34:36

VPN: Definitely want to know more and am looking at it seriously because of your recommendation. Thanks for that.

Won’t leave home without them:

Moon+ ReaderPro: All my books, all the time. Instead of dealing with multiple apps, this one is worth the money and is now on sale (I paid USD 4.99). I love that I can change every setting for any light situation.

Relax Melodies Premium: Every sound imaginable to meditate or sleep, including binaural (theta, beta, alpha and delta waves), which can only be heard with headphones. The best sleep aid I’ve ever had. If your parents ran the vacuum or clothes dryer to get you to sleep as a kid, you get the idea.

Whatsapp: I resisted this texting app for the longest time, but the ability to stay in touch with friends and family around the world can’t be overlooked. Yes, the program examines your contacts and looks to see who already subscribes, but for $1 a year and–true story–being able to communicate with a friend in Mexico in an emergency, it’s been worth it. Interestingly, the US has, AFAIK, ignored this app, although it is hugely popular and used everywhere else.

Google Translate: As imperfect as the translation might be, I was grateful for it when I needed medical help on a recent overseas trip. The doctor and I both used it on our devices, typing in our respective languages and then turning the display to the other to read. I felt very low-tech Star Trek-communicator-like and relieved. Specific language modules can now be downloaded, which means wifi or data isn’t needed to use it. Plus: Free!

I didn’t think I had many apps, but have just proved myself wrong.

11. SAO
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 12:55:58

I have an android phone. I use Smarttools, which has a group of measuring tools, there’s an angle, a distance measurer (not sure it’s as accurate as a laser yardstick, but pretty good) and a decibel meter. If you have noisy kids, the decibel meter is great. It tells you the current noise and the loudest.

I have Handyman calculator, which isn’t perfect, but it has a gazillion calculations. How many pavers do you need for your patio? How much material for your curtains? Turns just about any measurement (kg, oz, km, inches, amperes, ohm, mole, etc) into some other measure.

I have a Alkometer, which is in Russian, but you record your alcohol intake and it estimates your blood alcohol level and gives you a red, yellow or green light. It’s designed to tell you when you can safely drive, but I use it to avoid drinking too much.

I have LoseIt, but I’m always looking for a better, cheap weight loss app.

I have OutOfMilk, but it’s not as good for non-food shopping.

I’m looking for a better chore app and a good packing app. I tried about 4 packing apps before giving up and using OutOfMilk, which is lousy for packing. Few packing apps allow you to have separate lists for separate pieces of luggage (like suitcase and carry-on) and none I’ve found let you say that you need 7 undies and have packed 5 so far and have 2 to go, which is really important for me, because I like to start packing before all my laundry is done.

12. ML
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 13:04:31

For my tablet: Bluefire Reader (really great if you’re dealing with DRM protection), Goodreads, and Wikipedia.

For my phone: Waze (routing with crowdsourced trafficking)

For both: Yelp and Twitter

13. Statch
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 13:21:20

I love lists of apps people use! I’m looking forward to Jane’s post on Evernote. Just started using it for grocery lists and I know there’s so much more but need ideas. I use Feedly (an RSS feed aggregator), Docs To Go, KeePassDroid (similar to LastPass), Mint (free financial account aggregator),and Overdrive (library ebooks) + Facebook, Yahoo, my bank’s app, US Tides (times for high/low tides), Accuweather, coupon apps for stores I visit regularly (like JoAnn’s). I use Sound Meter to measure decibel levels in rooms because my husband is sensitive to noise. Pandora/Spotify for music.

I use only the Kindle app for ebook reading because I read books across platforms (tablet, Kindle Paperwhite, phone) depending where I am and I want to keep the last page read synced. I have books in non-Kindle format but convert them with Calibre and send to Amazon.

Anyone use an app for saving recipes off the Web? I’d love one that would let me browse recipes on my desktop or laptop, save them, then access them via the app on my phone or tablet.

14. Statch
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 13:26:39

Forgot MapMyWalk. Turn it on when you start a walk, and it maps you via GPS, tells you how far you walked and what your pace was. Lets you switch to camera without losing your place (I like to take pictures when I walk). You can also publish the details of your walk to Facebook (I don’t but friends do). I believe there’s also a MapMyRun.

15. Sunita
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 14:13:13

@Statch: I know there are apps just for recipes, but I find it really easy to use Evernote. I have a recipes folder and when I find one I like, I save it (via the web clipper) and usually I don’t even have to tell it which folder, it detects that it’s a recipe and puts it there. I’ve even put my own recipes (the ones I’ve posted at my personal blog) into it because it’s faster than going to my blog and pulling them up. The nice thing about Evernote is that it’s free and it’s totally cross-platform.

16. Statch
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 14:21:17

@Sunita, wow, now I’d really be excited to see an Evernote post! Thanks very much for the tip. I’m off to research how to do this.

17. BS_SBF
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 14:22:06

@Statch:

Pepperplate is a wonderful recipe, meal planner, grocery shopping app. Free too. You can enter recipes using their URL, cut and paste, or type them in. It calculates increased/decreased servings, creates grocery lists (which you can edit) by selecting recipes, and maintains meal plans.

18. Michelle in Texas
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 14:31:05

Apps I use everyday-the usual suspects, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest… I use the reminder app a lot, for what to do Monday, Tuesday, etc, grocery lists, other to-dos. I like being able to check off things that are DONE! MyRadar, because we farmers like to see the rain a’comin. Dropbox, Pages and Chrome get a good workout. Google Maps, because I just can’t do Apple maps.

I lovelovelove google Translate!!! When you have a houseful of people that don’t speak English, and you don’t speak their language, it is ridiculously helpful! And oddly enough, Skype helps here as well. Our guests called family back home that spoke English, and we translated through Skype. Which was fun.

I’m interested in learning more about VPNs as well. As my hubby and I travel, we could take care of business back home. And stay away from the office more! Lol!

19. cleo
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 15:17:44

Fun post.

For ebooks, I have Nook, Kindle, Bluefire and Overdrive. Plus Dropbox, where I store my ebooks.

Because I’m looking for a job right now, I use LinkedIn a lot. There are some things I have to do on my laptop, but it’s easy to keep track of new connections and invitations on my phone.

I have Flat Tomato, which is a timer for the pomodoro time management system. I like that it lets me track my work periods and the interface is very pretty. I tend to use it in fits and starts.

Another app that I like to use because of its pretty interface (can you tell that I’m a designer?) is Insight Timer – a meditation timer with lots of gorgeous gong and bell sounds to choose from. I like that I can set a warning bell before the final bell.

20. Deb
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 15:35:21

Cleo, I love insight timer! It is what finally helped me start a daily practice. Love it!

I’m curious to hear more about using LinkedIn for job hunting. I have a feeling I’ll need to know how to use it soon, but other than accepting connections, I do nothing with it. I’ve heard that I should be joining groups, but the last thing I want is more social media to manage!

21. cleo
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 16:51:29

@Deb – I’ve barely skimmed the surface of LinkedIn, but here are a few things I’m doing. One is getting more written recommendations. I did join a group, although I haven’t participated on it much. I’m aware that some of my contacts post regular links and that I should be doing that, but I haven’t yet.

Right now I find LinkedIn most useful for finding people to talk with / network with. Frex, I just learned how to use the advanced search to see if I know anyone who works at or has worked at a company I want to apply to, or if any friends of friends work there.

22. Maite
    Aug 18, 2014 @ 16:12:51

Apps I use:
    – Whatsapp: Kind of necessary. My friends don’t even use other systems of communication.
    – Gmail: came pre-installed, and it’s useful.
    – GoogleMaps: Life-saver. I’ve got the worst sense of direction (Think Ryoga from Ranma 1/2)
    – Jango Radio: for music. Can’t use Pandora (regional restrictions) nor Spotify (no Linux OS version).
    – GTalk: for chatting with the anti-Facebook/whatsapp crowd.
    – AnkiDroid: flashcard program, use it for learning.
    – FBReader: epub reading.
    – Shazam: JSON, it’s for anyone who NEEDS to know what that song is called.
    – Twilight: regulates the color temperature of the screen. Helps to sleep well*.

Evernote sounds like something I’d like, but I’ll wait for Jane’s post. Am too close to running out of memory (stupid smartphones that only have 155 MB of memory install).

* I know I sleep better when I use it if reading at night. I don’t quite get the science, and PLEASE correct me if this is a bunch of crap, but I think it goes something like this: digital screens emit light of the same color of the sun (whatever the brightness of the screen). So, at night, whenever you are looking at a screen, your brain goes “Oh, there’s still daylight!” and blocks REM sleep (the restorative type of sleep) for the next two hours. If the color temperature is more on the red-side of the spectrum, brain doesn’t get confused, and doesn’t block REM.
    Extra: There’s redshift and f.lux for doing this with a computer.

23. IAM JSON
    Aug 18, 2014 @ 19:58:15

@Maite:

I have been using f.lux for a while now and wholeheartedly endorse it. I wish you didn’t have to jailbreak your phone to install it on iThings.

24. Christine
    Aug 20, 2014 @ 10:00:38

I use Pinterest to save recipes–it’s fast and easy and I can save things from my computer and look at them on my phone in the grocery store. But I use recipes more as guidelines and inspiration… If you want to know the nutritional value of a recipe or generate a shopping list, it wouldn’t be the thing! I’m going to look at Pepperplate, though, for when I decide to be organized again about meal planning. Am kind of in a “eh, you guys just eat whatever, I’m going to have a bowl of cereal” place right now.

Otherwise, I use Kindle, Overdrive, Goodreads, Stitcher, and the Maps app pretty often. (OK, I use Kindle all day long!) I’m intrigued by the Waze app, but it seems a little creepy to be sharing so much about your location and destinations? I’d love to have better real-time info about my daily drives, though…

25. Sandra
    Aug 20, 2014 @ 11:48:27

Of the apps you listed, I’m going to check out …oh about 20 or so, especially after reading through the comments :)

I’m really interested in learning more about Dropbox and I’m looking forward to Jane’s post about Evernote. I use Evernote but I’m not sure I am using it correctly or to its full potential.

Other than the usual suspects for social media, I use Whatsapp a lot – free international texting, can’t beat that.

I’ve been totally defeated by the kindle app for my android phone. I can’t get it to download only books sent to the phone app, it downloads all of my books, which IMO is ridiculous. User error?

The one app I wish I understood is Calibre. It’s been a thorn in my side for the longest time… I just can’t work it out, no matter how I try. I mean, I can’t even work out how to get my books from my kindle into Calibre :(

Apps I am on the hunt for are something to convert my epub books to mobi and I’d love an app where I could organize my ebooks (like into collections) since I have a kindle fire, I can’t do it on my ereader.

26. Sandra
    Aug 20, 2014 @ 11:50:32

@Sunita:
    sunita, do you like the Nexus 7 tablet? I’ve been seriously thinking about buying one but don’t know anyone who has one.

27. IAM JSON
    Aug 20, 2014 @ 20:55:18

@Sandra:

@Sandra: I don’t think your Kindle issue is user error, per se. The Kindle app and devices are designed to synch across all instances and devices so that you always have your reading material no matter where you are reading.

I’ve never thought to segregate my reading by device, so I could be wrong about the functionality. Notice at the bottom of the screen there is a sort of toggle between “cloud” and “device.” If you select Cloud, you will see ALL your purchases regardless of which device you sent them to. You could, however, choose to download selected purchases. That would not be the convenience you’re looking for since, to my knowledge, there is no way to instruct the device to download only books you had sent to it. You’d have to pick and choose yourself.

I have two suggestions. One is that you go to Amazon, login, and go to Manage My Kindle. There’s all kinds of settings there. Maybe there’s a way to achieve what you want there. My next suggestion is that you email Amazon customer service and describe what you’re looking to do. That’s bound to be more efficient than poking around looking for ways to set up something that might not be possible — or is. I don’t know for sure.

Good luck!

You’d also said you were looking for a way to convert your ePubs to mobi and I have two suggestions. Calibre can do this, and get your books organized — this is exactly what it is designed to do. The application will also help you deal with DRM so that you are able to read all your books on the devices you choose. There are posts here at DA that should help you in that quest.

My other suggestion is that you download the Kindle Previewer app from Amazon. The tool is for self-publishers who need to convert formats for upload to Kindle Direct Publishing. This tool will convert ePubs to mobi format. This is the lesser of the two suggestions since this solution lacks Calibre’s built in organizational features and automation. It would, however, give you a mobi file you could email to your Kindle account(s).

Calibre is by far the better choice, but the other will achieve your goal of conversion — assuming no DRM. But there will be more steps involved.