Dear Bitches Smart Authors Inaugural Podcast

dbsa-podcastSarahand I have kicked this idea around for a while but didn’t do anything about it until our fairy godmother, Morgan from Miss Media Productions came along and waved her special wand and made it happen.   This is our first podcast.   I’m driving, Sarah is too close to the phone, and we generally don’t know what the F we are doing.   I know that this makes you want to listen all the more eagerly.

This is the feed to the podcast  and you can click on this link to add it to iTunes.   We can’t curse on the podcast due to iTunes content restrictions.   But we try.

Feel free to give us content suggestions, tips on how to do this whole thing better, or general wtf-ery comments.   It’s all welcome because a) we are new to this and b) we don’t really know what we are doing so the wtf comments are probably all valid.   The email address for the podcast is [email protected]

1. Keishon
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 13:10:05

Listening to it now.

2. jmc
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 13:27:37

Listening now. And you (or Sarah?) touched on something that I’ve been thinking about lately as I examine my reading trends — the potential for increased readership of m/m contemporaries as the replacement for m/f contemporaries. The m/m stuff I’ve read lately has been better, in terms of being “straight romance”, than the m/f mainstream stuff I’ve tried. Which results in me reading more of it and looking for more of it.

3. Keishon
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 13:30:02

I enjoyed just listening to you guys talk so as an introduction, no bad. I would like to suggest in future that we not have so much heavy breathing (ok, I am joking here!). Ok, serious, content wise – author interviews, discussion of trends, what books you all read outside of romance (as I would be interested in that). Top romance books evah, your hot buttons re issue books, top authors who you all think are consistently strong and who push the envelope – oye, that’s it.

ETA: Interesting thoughts on what subgenres or themes you all think will survive this harsh economic climate, IOW, what will thrive and what and should die a lonely death.

4. Angela James
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 13:58:42

I haven’t listened yet but I like “Dear Bitches, Smart Authors”.

5. Portia Da Costa
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 14:04:40

Enjoyed the podcast very much, and found myself nodding in agreement, and chuckling along with you in various places. Was particularly interested in your observations on the way authors deal with power imbalance between characters, and genders, in both historical and contemporary settings.

Will definitely listen again, and as for content, well, pretty much all the topics that Keishon mentioned would interest me too.

6. Nicole
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 15:30:26

Haven’t listened yet, but plan to later and make DH listen with me.

7. Laura Vivanco
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 16:40:01

I can’t listen to it because “additional plugins are required” and for some reason the plugins won’t download onto my computer.

Dec 30, 2008 @ 17:33:27

@Laura Vivanco I added a download link for it. I’m digging around to find a better embedded player.

9. Laura Vivanco
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 17:38:56

Thanks, Jane. It seems as though it was a really interesting conversation, so I hope I don’t have to miss out.

Dec 30, 2008 @ 17:40:58

@Laura Vivanco Oh the expectations. LOL. We’ll have to have you and Dr. Sarah on to talk about your current projects. that would be interesting. I’ve actually listened to the real first podcast with our real first guest and I think the guests are so much more interesting than listening to Sarah and I natter on.

11. Kathleen O'Reilly
    Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:14:38

I loved this; mostly because I could listen and exercise at the same time on the elliptical. Not only educational, but burns calories as well :) One of the things I really enjoy about both DA and SB is the thoughtful discussion of the plays within romance. I don’t think that any subject in the world is more complicated than the dynamic between a man and a woman falling in love.

12. carolyn jean
    Dec 31, 2008 @ 20:37:51

Hey, I really enjoyed this! Very interesting. Like Portia, I thought the power imbalance stuff was interesting. As well as your thoughts on the economy and subgenres.

13. meanne
    Jan 01, 2009 @ 06:34:04

Enjoyed this podcast very much…Length of time was just right and listening to 2 articulate women talking thoughtfully and intelligently about the genre I so love just makes me continue to be proud to be part of the romance-reading community..Keep up the great work and am certainly looking forward to more wonderful podcasts in the future..