DABWAHA Voting in Round 3 Starts at 8 AM EDT

Update: Sorry guys. For some reason the polls did not open on time so we are revising the voting schedule.

sidebarlogoWe’ve still got voting going on in the DABWAHA Tournament.   Round 3 is about to begin at 8 AM EDT.   Voting in Round 3 will be for 8 hours.

Voting Schedule:

• Round 3, Set 1: 8 AM EDT to 4 PM EDT, March 26, 2009 (today)
  • Round 3, Set 2: 4 PM EDT to 12 PM EDT, March 26, 2009
  • Round 3, Set 3: 12 PM EDT to 8 PM EDT, March 27, 2009 (today)
  • Round 3, Set 2: 8 PM EDT to 2 AM EDT, March 27, 2009

The schedule is varied and longer to give people as much time to vote and to accommodate schedules all over the globe.   I’ll tell you that relentless vote pandering went on twitter last weekend.

What is DABWAHA? It’s the Dear Author Bitchery Writing Award for Hellagood Authors or DA BWAHA. For newcomers, this is a tournament of books that mimics the March Madness tournament of basketball. We’ve picked a slate of 64 books in 8 different categories to compete against each other through the next few weeks. Right now we are in the voting stage.

Special thanks to our sponsors.

• Harlequin at 30% off
  • eBooks at Fictionwise
  • eBooks at Books on Board. Books on Board is selling the Harlequin series books at 30% off and will have differing formats than the ones at Harlequin including iPhone/iTouch compatible formats.
  • Author Maya Banks is offering up a great prize to the last place bracketeer: $50 GC to online bookstore, Godiva chocolate basket, and ARCS of Sweet Persuasion (June 09) and Sweet Seduction (Oct 09). Perhaps this prize might affect some voting behavior?

1. SonomaLass
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 00:10:50

Ugh, 1:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. for us on Pacific time. I think I missed all the morning polls in the first two rounds. Guess my morning routine will just need to change for a couple of days! Oh yes, I have my priorities straight.

2. Janine
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 02:40:17

Just to let you know, it’s 4:38 AM Eastern and the “Round 3, Set 1″ post on the voting blog is blank. There is no poll posted there, and no way to vote.

3. library addict
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 03:31:35

5:30 EDT and still no poll.

4. library addict
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 05:16:38

It’s after 7 and no poll. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

5. SonomaLass
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 08:59:05

Yay, I got to vote! Sorry for the technological difficulties, Jane — must be a real pain to deal with first thing in the A.M.

6. library addict
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 09:38:45

Thanks, Jane.

7. Kay Webb Harrison
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 11:39:51

Dear Jane,

I am confused. The times make sense, but the dates don’t. Also, why are there two listings for Round 3, Set 2? Should the second one be “Set 4?”

Again, thank you for all you do.

Kay

8. Sherry Thomas
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 12:23:13

The first three sets get 8 hours each, but the last set only 6 hours?

9. Janine
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 21:02:32

Wow, I am currently in 18th place. This can’t last, but I’m going to enjoy every minute.

10. SonomaLass
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 22:58:15

You go, Janine! Those of us below 500th salute you! Once Tribute went down, I was sunk.

11. Janine
    Mar 26, 2009 @ 23:39:26

If Tribute has gone down, I’m sunk too.

12. joanne
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 04:46:18

I’m 200 points over last year and I’m still firmly in the cellar. Lord John kicked my butt and Dark Desires issued the final punch.

Is there a TSTL prize for those of us who read the books and still can’t get it right?

Ah well, I live with hope — Onward to next year!

13. Janine
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 12:14:18

Joanne, there is a last place prize, generously offered by author Maya Banks.

I’m actually up one place to #17, even though my pick to win was Tribute and it’s out of the game now. I have a feeling The Spymaster’s Lady is going all the way to the top. In any case, I’m happy to still be in the top 20 though I don’t think this will last.

How are the points calculated, does anyone know?

14. joanne
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 12:30:14

Janine Jane’s post from March 21st: I

It's a seed # x round # scoring. You get more points for picking a higher ranked seed correctly

15. JenniferY
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 16:21:44

To add to what joanne said about scoring…according to the bracket sheet itself, it appears that it is “seed # x round #” plus “round #” for each correct pick.

For example, picking Grimspace to win Round 1 gave you 8 points (seed x round) plus 1 (round #) for a total of 9.

16. Janine
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 18:51:12

Jennifer Y, you are kicking ass at this thing!

Thanks, Joanne and Jennifer. Does that mean that some correct guesses are worth more points than other correct guesses within the same round? Because the seed number of the winning book is higher than the seed number of the other winning book in the same round?

17. JenniferY
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 19:13:38

Yes, Janine, that is what it means. The higher seeded books are worth more points if they win than the lower seeded books. At least that is how the score sheets and totals look to me. Don’t know if that is how they are scoring it for the contest or not, but I would assume so.

And I am really shocked my my score…most of it was just random guesses.

18. Janine
    Mar 27, 2009 @ 20:43:55

Thanks, Jennifer! I am shocked at my score too. Last year I did very badly.

19. SonomaLass
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 01:08:14

Sigh; losing to “random guesses” isn’t encouraging. I’m really happy for those who are doing well, though!

The seed thing is confusing, because I think of “higher seed” as higher ranked, but actually it means that the higher numbers (i.e. lower ranked) are better for scoring. Regardless, I’m doing lousy — both Maya Banks and Megan Hart would have been worth big points this round, but they look to be going down. And by only a few votes! Sadly, my daughters can’t vote in this round, because they came home for the weekend, so they are on my wireless network and share my IP address.

Still, this is a ton of fun!

20. JenniferY
    Mar 28, 2009 @ 02:27:31

I don’t really get the whole seeding thing myself (here or in sports), but in sports the higher seeds are, I think, looked at as being longshots with the lower seeded (i.e. higher ranked) teams expected to do well. So when a team with a higher seed number (i.e. 16) wins, it is worth more because it wasn’t expected.

That is how someone explained it to me once…don’t know if I made sense or how accurate of an explanation it is.